Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what's been your favourite album so far this year? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=83448)

SonicBebs 11.07.2012 08:17 AM

what's been your favourite album so far this year?

this year's been good for music
but whats been your favourite album so far (or are there any albums due for release before the end of the year that you're really looking forward to?)

i can't choose between Animal Collective or Dirty Projectors

batreleaser 11.07.2012 10:43 AM

hmmmmmmmm,

Honestly it'd probably be a hip hop album. This has been a banner year for hip hop, and Killer Mike's RAP Music I've gone back to over and over.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 11.07.2012 08:56 PM

Corin Tucker Band "Kill My Blues" hands down most fun and yet most grown up record I've heard in years!

Savage Clone 11.08.2012 12:45 AM

Myrrh - S/T
Pallbearer - Sorrow and Extinction
Newest Sylvester Anfang II LP
Swans - The Seer

Reissue gold stars to Majutsu no Niwa's "Frontera" (so excellent to finally have on 2xLP with a sidelong bonus track!) and the Sensations' Fix rarities/retrospective 2xLP "Music Is Painting In The Air."

Severian 11.08.2012 07:25 AM

It's been a killer year. I think GYBE pretty much pulled off the impossible and made an album that competes with their pre break up output. But I am going to have to do some digging and registering before I say with certainty which album is really the best.

Front runners are Animal Collective, Spiritualized, and GYBE, but I'm forgetting more of the good releases than I am remembering. No doubt ill be thinking on this all day. So much for work. Sick day?

Genteel Death 11.08.2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Myrrh - S/T
Pallbearer - Sorrow and Extinction
Newest Sylvester Anfang II LP
Swans - The Seer

Reissue gold stars to Majutsu no Niwa's "Frontera" (so excellent to finally have on 2xLP with a sidelong bonus track!) and the Sensations' Fix rarities/retrospective 2xLP "Music Is Painting In The Air."

Have you ever heard Picchio dal Pozzo? Great and much underrated Italian Prog band. I say underrated because when it comes to Italian Prog you often see Banco del Mutuo Soccorso or Area's names mentioned but these guys surely produced a fantastic first album which you don't see mentioned that often.

Choice cut: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83RuO4OTkL4

Screaming Skull 11.08.2012 10:36 AM

Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory
Chromatics - Kill for Love

Savage Clone 11.08.2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Have you ever heard Picchio dal Pozzo? Great and much underrated Italian Prog band. I say underrated because when it comes to Italian Prog you often see Banco del Mutuo Soccorso or Area's names mentioned but these guys surely produced a fantastic first album which you don't see mentioned that often.

Choice cut: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83RuO4OTkL4

Thanks very much!
The best 70s Italo prog thing I have heard i recent years is Museo Rosenbach's "Zarathustra," and I also like Dolce Acqua a lot.
Needed more, so thanks.

h8kurdt 11.08.2012 01:44 PM

Swans-The Seer.

That album rules so hard it's silly.

Genteel Death 11.08.2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Thanks very much!
The best 70s Italo prog thing I have heard i recent years is Museo Rosenbach's "Zarathustra," and I also like Dolce Acqua a lot.
Needed more, so thanks.

Glad I was of some service.

Genteel Death 11.08.2012 02:03 PM

I bow down to Swans.

Savage Clone 11.08.2012 02:07 PM

It's great. And darker than I expected. Which is good.
The Picchio dal Pozzo, that is.

And I just listened to the 1st record of The Seer 3xLP again too. Still not sick of it. So good.

EVOLghost 11.08.2012 02:11 PM

Genteel Death 11.08.2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

It's great. And darker than I expected. Which is good.
The Picchio dal Pozzo, that is.

And I just listened to the 1st record of The Seer 3xLP again too. Still not sick of it. So good.

Swans are turning more and more into the prog band with the overblown bits which you need right now. Swans are an overblown band to start with. They are arty and pretentious, all things I love.

Savage Clone 11.08.2012 02:21 PM

The Seer is less an "album" than a "work." I really think they are making the best music of their lives right now.

Genteel Death 11.08.2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

The Seer is less an "album" than a "work." I really think they are making the best music of their lives right now.

Agreed. They hate distance between band and fans. Michael Gira was the nicest bloke when I approached him about some homophobic issues that were posted on here. KRAUTPROG, motherfuckers.

h8kurdt 11.08.2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Agreed. They hate distance between band and fans. Michael Gira was the nicest bloke when I approached him about some homophobic issues that were posted on here. KRAUTPROG, motherfuckers.

Ooh do tell!

tesla69 11.08.2012 04:22 PM

probably listened to mv/ee space horizons or meg bairds latest more than anything, although the 11:29 CD from last year I got in Feb got more play, if I ever had time to really listen Glacial will probably be my release for the year.

Rob Instigator 11.08.2012 04:29 PM

I have been so broke, and so fucking busy and so full of crap to do that I have yet to hear any album released this year. I need to go through this thread and pull out some thangs to rock my world.

louder 11.08.2012 07:46 PM

Frank Ocean