Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   music that you like secretly (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=20076)

Cantankerous 02.29.2008 12:31 AM

music that you like secretly

this is a thread dedicated to all the music people secretly like or listen to. so tell us.

lily allen (she is so adorable and as far as pop music today goes -- ace.)

pbradley 02.29.2008 12:35 AM

Is this like one of those "guilty pleasures" threads?

If so I hope we don't have to go through everyone coming out and saying how they're not ashamed and everything. Going out of one's way to prove one's honest makes me doubt it even more.

That said I can't think of anything for me.

✌➬ 02.29.2008 01:01 AM

I am ashamed to listen to Elton John, I blame my BF. Also Garbage.

Cantankerous 02.29.2008 01:03 AM

elton john was good in the early 70s. garbage is a terrible rip off of curve, however.

✌➬ 02.29.2008 01:04 AM

Yes, but I still like them. Oh yes My Chemical Romance, there I said it.

Pookie 02.29.2008 01:04 AM

This thread will very soon be filled with people saying, you shouldn't be ashamed of the music you like etc.

But I disagree, you should seriously have a word with yourself if you find yourself liking anything by Elton John.

And Saturnine, you only like Lily Allen because she's got the same name as you. You might think twice about liking her if you see her chat show. She's ANNOYING!

Cantankerous 02.29.2008 01:05 AM

it should be spelled lilly. is she really that annoying? i thought she was just a bit outspoken.

✌➬ 02.29.2008 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
But I disagree, you should seriously have a word with yourself if you find yourself liking anything by Elton John.

I know, I am not indie enough.

Pookie 02.29.2008 01:08 AM

No, annoying is the word. Anybody can be outspoken, I don't understand why that's a good thing. Doing it with wit, style or vitriol would be better.

✌➬ 02.29.2008 01:08 AM

Quote:

No, annoying is the word. Anybody can be outspoken, I don't understand why that's a good thing. Doing it with wit, style or vitriol would be better.

Your not American you wouldn't get it.

Pookie 02.29.2008 01:09 AM

Just to contradict myself, and be serious, I don't think anybody should be ashamed of the music they like.

Me? I have to admit to liking the last Morrisey single, the first post Smiths thing he's done that I have liked.

Pookie 02.29.2008 01:12 AM

In different times, I would have been embarrassed about liking Wanda Jackson, but I think it's acceptable these days(?) In ten years time, I may have to be ashamed again, who knows.

ZEROpumpkins 02.29.2008 01:12 AM

Weezer (first two albums)

sonicl 02.29.2008 01:18 AM

Why the hell should anyone be embaressed by what music they like? Should I be embaressed for liking Cheddar Cheese because it's not a cool indie cheese? Should I only eat it in private for fear it might spoil my cred?

I like what I like. I've done nothing of which to be ashamed.

Cantankerous 02.29.2008 01:19 AM

Quote:

correct. i've never seen her chat show. i didn't even know she had one.

ZEROpumpkins 02.29.2008 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
Why the hell should anyone be embaressed by what music they like? Should I be embaressed for liking Cheddar Cheese because it's not a cool indie cheese? Should I only eat it in private for fear it might spoil my cred?

Yes

Sonic Youth 37 02.29.2008 01:40 AM

The Sounds. Swedish synth pop/punk. I enjoy it. I really do. I hate ABBA though.

Death & the Maiden 02.29.2008 02:29 AM

The Caesars. They're the Swedish band that did the "Jerk It Out" song a few years ago, and I loved it, and bought some of their albums. Every now and then, I'll listen to some of their songs on my iPod.

ZEROpumpkins 02.29.2008 03:58 AM

Was Jerk It Out the song used on the iPod ads?

nicfit 02.29.2008 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
this is a thread dedicated to all the music people secretly like or listen to. so tell us.

lily allen (she is so adorable and as far as pop music today goes -- ace.)

I think lots of "Britainers" (???) over here hate here becuz she got (gets?) way too much coverage on media,
Quote:

And Saturnine, you only like Lily Allen because she's got the same name as you. You might think twice about liking her if you see her chat show. She's ANNOYING!

but the record is really well produced and most songs are well written.
So yeah, stop listening to her banter if you don't like her "public persona" and stick to the record like I do. ha ha. And my name is non lily/lilly/allen/alien wathever.
But it's not a secret that I like that album...hmmmm....secret secret...I really don't know what to post, I'm not ashamed of the stuff I like
Quote:

This thread will very soon be filled with people saying, you shouldn't be ashamed of the music you like etc.

mainly becuz, well, if I like it I like it, ha ah.
Maybe I could say Kate Wax coz no one of my friends know her music, so it's kinda secret? dunno. I type like a 12 yo today.

Death & the Maiden 02.29.2008 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
Was Jerk It Out the song used on the iPod ads?

Yes it was. I got teased for liking The Caesars.

ZEROpumpkins 02.29.2008 04:45 AM

There's worse bands, my friend.

Death & the Maiden 02.29.2008 04:47 AM

I know, but other people don't understand that.
Also, I still like some Robbie Williams.

sarramkrop 02.29.2008 04:50 AM

Amy Winehead and Lily Alien(ating) are on the papers every day, almost. I agree with Pookie that being a foul-mouthed, stroppy cow is an easy recipe for success in the media, and one that is so disturbingly encouraged like it's something new, exciting or dangerous. I like some of Lily Allen's songs, the same I can't say for Amy Twathouse whose voice gets right on my tits, especially when it even becomes the subject of documentaries about pop music made by people who still sit at the piano explaining to other people how ''HeyfuckingJude'' was written.

Death & the Maiden 02.29.2008 05:12 AM

The "Stonehenge" song in This Is Spinal Tap.

rappard 02.29.2008 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl

Sell out! Right now I'm eating manchego, but only because it matches my white belt and MacBook.

Now where are my Avril mp3's?

gmku 02.29.2008 08:22 AM

Sorry, Lily, the thread doesn't make sense to me. I openly like everything I listen to. There might be some things other people would disparage, but how could I possibly keep track of that and why would I want to?

Toilet & Bowels 02.29.2008 08:42 AM

i like the new katy melua song, although it's not really a secret i haven't told anyone either, but then again i didn't tell anyone about how much i like the new mammal album either (i like it a lot, a lot a lot).

gmku 02.29.2008 08:45 AM

I guess there's a lot I like that's a secret to people--that is, not everybody knows what's in my record collection or what I listen to everyday.

atsonicpark 02.29.2008 08:58 AM

None. I don't have guilty pleasures, I don't have "secret music I like", etc. And we've had about 50 threads like this, so... yeah.

Why be ashamed of anything you listen to? Here's something I think people often overlook on here (see the recent KoRn thread for examples of ignorance): EVERY BAND EVER has SOMETHING good about it. Even bands I hate more than God (Mars volta for example), I can tell you ten good things about them (well, in Mars Volta's case, maybe only three or four good things -- but I can think of SOMETHING). I think if you can't do that, if you can't step out of your box of prejudice, if you are "ashamed" to like a band because of what other people might think of them or you, perhaps you should reevaluate why you bother listening to music to begin wit h.

gmku 02.29.2008 09:04 AM

Being ashamed of music reminds me of when I used to have to sneak albums I'd buy into my bedroom without my parents seeing them--so as not to offend their delicate sensibilities. They were deeply offended by the cover of Sticky Fingers, for example.

Also, Lane, on Gilmore Girls, used to keep her CD collectin stashed under the floor boards of her bedroom because her mother would disapprove.

sarramkrop 02.29.2008 09:06 AM

Magik Markers.

gmku 02.29.2008 09:12 AM

Carly Simon. I actually like "You're So Vain."

gmku 02.29.2008 09:38 AM

I do.

I mean, it is, isn't it?

And why shouldn't it be, after all?

Rob Instigator 02.29.2008 09:48 AM

I secretly like ben folds five

atari 2600 02.29.2008 09:48 AM

Mmmm, don't know if I can hack Ben Folds Five ha.

I listened to Olivia Newton-John's new live album last night, Olivia's Live Hits.
It was recorded at the Sydney Opera House with the Sydney Orchestra and Travolta also guests. Some oldies doing some oldies heeha. Olivia's voice is still absolutely amazing after all these years.

"Smile" usually makes me smile. Hey, read this about Lily Allen. It's an article about her "influences" heehe.
http://www.musiclikedirt.com/2006/09...alright-steal/
On “Smile” the wonderful summer ska sound and keyboards are taken from “Free Soul“, a 1969 track by The Soul Brothers.

Everyneurotic 02.29.2008 09:49 AM

like the other day i was watching degrassi the next generation and someone almost walked in when i was watching it and i had to change the channel...

secretly...secretly...hmmm...let me think, you lot probably know everything i listen to.

sometimes i'm a very bit ashamed to admit i don't like certain things, like, for example, saying i don't like wolf eyes and having people kinda in convulted words asking me "but don't you have a noise band? it's wolf eyes, not coldplay". it makes me look snobby but i get over it quickly.

and lily allen, i loved her album to bits when it first came out, it hasn't really stayed well with me mostly, some ace songs still there though. "smile" and (more so) "ldn" chief among them.

batreleaser 02.29.2008 10:26 AM

there is some mainstream hiphop/pop that i will keep the radio on for that is a wee bit embarassing (minus lil wayne cause hes my new fave mc and im not embarassed about that):

lil jon (his beats are good, sorry to make people realize that)
justin timberlake (his last alblum was timbaland beats ast their finest, topped of by tlake's nice falsetto, uhh, not that i heard the record or anything
usher
50 cent (first alblum)
beyonce
paul wall

Rob Instigator 02.29.2008 10:51 AM

my ex wife used to listen to ben folds five and the shit is just so fucking catchy

nicfit 02.29.2008 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
"ldn" chief among them.

the layering of instruments is amazing.