Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Kim and the myth of Reena Spauling (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=6385)

nomowish 09.24.2006 02:44 PM

Kim and the myth of Reena Spauling

MP3.COM - http://www.mp3.com/features/stories/4879.html

MP3: Well, I've had the album for about 24 hours now, and I've listened to it repeatedly. And two of the songs

Kim Gordon: You're sick of it already?

MP3: No, no, no. Two of the songs on the album really caught my attention lyrically, and one is your song, "Reena," and the other song, "Do You Believe in Rapture?" What was the motivation behind "Reena"?

Kim Gordon: I was sort of inspired by this book, Reena Spauling, who is kind of a fictional character. It's a collaborative piece of writing by a bunch of people. It's a fictional character about this fantastic kind of girl creature who makes her way in the art world, art fashion world, in New York. And she kind of reminds me of people that you meet who seem fascinating, but they're crazy. And you don't know why they're fascinating, and it just could be in simple things they do or some mystery. It's kind of like one of those gross friendship crush songs, because I just thought I had never written a song about that. And it's also--the name of this became the name of this gallery where I've shown. So, I kind of wanted to continue the myth of Reena Spauling.

MP3: And then, the other song I mentioned was "Do You Believe in Rapture?" which I know you don't sing on the album, but I'm just curious if you could give any insight into that particular song?

Kim Gordon: Well, I don't know. I guess there are lots of interpretations. I mean, I think it's--I think Thurston probably wrote it because of all the leanings toward religion and Christianity and, you know, that are on the political landscape right now, and Bush has really fractured the country in that way by representing the Right, extreme Right, fundamentalist Right. But "Rapture" is something else, it's more--you see it in paintings as just kind of ecstatic and more erotic sort of state. But I kind of see that as an alternative to the fundamentalist religion. You know what I mean?

MP3: I do.

Kim Gordon: Posing that as an alternative to religion, MP3tian, conservative, fundamentalism, or something, in terms of a pursuit of rapture in art or ecstatic experience in music or something.

MP3: Over the years, Sonic Youth has proved to be a huge supporter of relatively obscure acts, and being from the Bay area, I've been very impressed with your decisions to tour with the Erase Errata, to play with Deerhoof, with Wolf Eyes and, I believe, even Rubber O Cement. Does your label ever get frustrated by your decision to not tour with major acts?

Kim Gordon: Well, I mean, I don't think they care about that sort of thing. I mean, we are actually this summer doing some dates with Pearl Jam. But, I mean, we've done things like that in the past. I don't think they care what we do. You know, we have our own audience, and it's not like--they just know we're not going to do certain things.

MP3: But these relationships seem to have really--I mean, like I said before, the Erase Errata or Deerhoof, they seem to really keep Sonic Youth in the minds of younger people that are getting into various new and experimental music. Do you yourself sort of spend a lot of time listening to what's bubbling up from the underground?

Kim Gordon: Oh, sure. I mean, most of it is probably more obscure and just more noisy than either of those two bands, but Thurston has stuff all the time that he's involved with that is fairly obscure and experimental. And there are local bands that we're into that are like that. Yes, I guess I listen to more of that than I do whatever, the Clap Your Hands, Yeah Yeah Yeah, or Yeah Yeah Clap Your Hands, you know, those bands, who I've never heard. People ask me what I think of them, and I don't really have access to them, because I don't listen to radio...or they don't play them on the radio stations I listen to.

MP3: Over the years you've been involved in a few side projects and, obviously, your own art and experimental performances. Can we, your fans, ever expect to hear a true Kim Gordon solo album?

Kim Gordon: Maybe, yeah.

MP3: Have you ever thought about that?

Kim Gordon: Kim Gordon: Yeah, I have. I mean, the trio record started out as that but that was the trio record. And then, I was thinking of doing a record just like starting with voice, because I did this one song that was just kind of a cappella, and I did it for this art piece I did where people could come and play music to go with a voice. And it's in this big tent, kind of, it's a black-glitter tent that I made. So, I was thinking of making a whole record kind of like that, but I haven't yet. But I probably will do something like that.

MP3: Oh, I would look forward to hearing that. I had a question here that was submitted by a coworker. They wanted to know what kinds of music your daughter listens to and how her taste has evolved? And is she at a stage yet of listening to music that would piss you and Thurston off?

Kim Gordon: She's beyond that right now. I mean, she listens to Beatles, and the Ramones, and the Kinks. She likes Blondie, Fiona Apple. You know, she's actually kind of open to music right now...So, she has pretty sophisticated tastes right now. She actually has a band that she started with a couple of friends.

MP3: Really?

Kim Gordon: Yeah. They're doing their second gig this week.

MP3: Is it a little odd for you seeing your own child going into music?

Kim Gordon: Oh, I don't think it's odd. I see it as more of a teenage activity than, you know, she's only 11, but you know, I think it's great that she knows so many girls who want to play music. And I see it more as a teen activity than I do as going into music.

MP3: Right.

Kim Gordon: It's great. You know, it's just a way for them to express themselves. And they're more interested in that than learning their instruments.

MP3: Well, genius lies in amateurism.

Kim Gordon: Yeah. Kim Gordon: I mean, I never learned--you know, it's just in the vein or...they're more punk rock, I guess.

MP3: Were you just saying that you never learned to play?

Kim Gordon: Yeah. I mean, I don't even think of myself as a musician, really.

MP3: What would you consider yourself then?

Kim Gordon: Kind of more visual artist...because that's where my training was. I just happened to start playing music for the conceptual ideas.

MP3: Well, that's what I would call a very successful happenstance.

Kim Gordon: So, you live in San Francisco?

MP3: I do, actually, yeah.

Kim Gordon: I think we're playing one show there...at the Fillmore, but I'm not sure.

MP3: Yeah. I actually saw you there on the Murray Street Tour.

Kim Gordon: Oh, OK.

MP3: And it was a really fantastic performance.

Kim Gordon: That was a fun--fun record to play.

MP3: Yeah.

Kim Gordon: The last two records I liked playing a lot.

MP3: Yeah. They're really, really beautiful pieces of art.

Kim Gordon: Oh, thanks.

nomowish 09.24.2006 02:47 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Reena-Spauling...e=UTF8&s=books

lizzarddd 09.24.2006 04:56 PM

good stuff

top 40 squeeze 09.24.2006 06:51 PM

Nice interview, thanks.

atari 2600 09.24.2006 10:38 PM

Very nice, thank you.

I was starting to think that "Reena" was about Winona Ryder's supporting character in Lucas. In that movie, her character is named "Rina" though, so I wasn't all that sure about the hunch anyway since the spelling is different.

Tokolosh 09.25.2006 02:05 AM

Thanks. Nice read.

Chris Lawrence 09.25.2006 09:14 PM

good interview!

mooger_fooger 09.26.2006 07:52 AM

"I was starting to think that "Reena" was about Winona Ryder's supporting character in Lucas. In that movie, her character is named "Rina" though, so I wasn't all that sure about the hunch anyway since the spelling is different."

I must say atari, that's an interesting take on it. I had never considered that connection, but after mentioning it, it's eerily accurate, apparently incorrect, but remarkably accurate.

blueflaming0 09.29.2006 09:07 PM

i really wanna read this book, but i cant find it anywhere :-(

Inhuman 09.29.2006 09:12 PM

Reenba is a goos song. Whether you liuke it or not. Lik,e tyotally it's out of the blue. Her voice is all harmonous, and in key and tune *you know thosze classic faggots that care about vocals* and liek, either way kim gordon's ongs asre the shit YO! SUP PORKIE. dIESEL TOO! AND CANTANKEROUS. Weclcoe tyo the vlub

Chris Lawrence 09.29.2006 09:28 PM

it's true.

nomowish 09.29.2006 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueflaming0
i really wanna read this book, but i cant find it anywhere :-(

Amazon's selling it for something like $12.

h8kurdt 09.30.2006 10:43 AM

Sounds like the interview got a bit awkward coming to the end. Good interview though.