Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Brian Jonestown Massacre and The Dandy Warhols (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=488)

Angel Dust 04.01.2006 07:34 PM

Brian Jonestown Massacre and The Dandy Warhols

Anyone like The Brian Jonestown Massacre and The Dandy Warhols? I am grouping these bands together because of their close relationship, etc.

I saw Dig a couple weeks ago on TV and really liked the music in the movie, so I bought The Dandy Warhols Come Down... and I am listening to BJM's "Methodrone" right now.

I like some of the songs on Come down and BJM's Methodrone is really good shit. Opinions anyone?

dietzer123 04.01.2006 07:55 PM

i saw a documentary about them. isn't there animosity between them now?

Toilet & Bowels 04.01.2006 08:18 PM

i can't believe that anyone would like those bands after watching that movie, both bands come off as utterly shallow, moronic and mind numbing.

hey alex 04.01.2006 08:19 PM

i dunno... both are good, but I like BJM more. But I don't listen to either very much. DIG was awesome tho.

themawt71 04.01.2006 09:12 PM

yeah i hate both bands but damn that was one of the best rock documentaries ive ever seen

Angel Dust 04.02.2006 12:44 AM

I have heard there is animosity between them, but I think they have made amends, as I believe members of both bands have recently attend each others shows. And as quoted on the BJM site: "Anton Newcombe does not support the recently screened documentary film 'DIG!' in its currently edited form. He feels strongly that the "Jerry Springer-esque" vilification of his nature is an inappropriate, mis contextualized, and exploitative use of the footage...". This would lead me to believe that the animosity was somewhat invented.

Regarding, "i can't believe that anyone would like those bands after watching that movie, both bands come off as utterly shallow, moronic and mind numbing."

My friend told me the same thing so you are probably right, but I got a sense that it was really the record labels that were the culprit for a lot of the bullshit in the film. Though, I will agree that both Anton Newcombe and Courtney Taylor are not the "rock and roll geniuses" they claim to be. I like their music a lot, but I think that is a stretch, especially as they were many band making the same type of music. Nevertheless, I though it was great documentary and I really enjoy the albums I have of both bands.

LifeDistortion 04.02.2006 03:42 AM

I found the documentary quite entertaining. Its curious if all of the stuff in front of the cameras was for the most part a big act. I found the scene were the BJM are all just beating the shit out of each other. LoL. And that whole thing of Courtney saying he really adimres the singer to the point of jealousy for his music, but then hates him, and all the back in forth bashing from both bands. Its an enjoyable movie, but its a bit disappointing if it was all a put-on.

screamingskull 04.02.2006 04:27 AM

i love both band, i saw the dandys in 2003 and BJM in 2005, and both are awesome live!, the film is pretty strange though, i feel sorry for Anton.
and there isnt really any bad blood between the two bands, Anton went on tour with the dandys last year. and courtney does the same when BJM tour.

dirty bunny 04.02.2006 02:28 PM

I'm much more into The Brian Jonestown Massacre, but I also like the Dandys. I've heard the film isn't very flattering, so I'm not sure I want to see it in case it does spoil it for me.