Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Franck Black vs J.Mascis (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=31163)

diskaholic-anonymous 05.08.2009 06:38 AM

Franck Black vs J.Mascis

What guitar and voice you like most? the fat boy or the longsnowhair guy?...i think Franck B. screams better.

greedrex 05.08.2009 06:44 AM

Both are really good, but Frank Back is my fave by miles.
I have loved his songwriting from the very beg of Pixies right until the Pistolero LP included. The rest is unfortunately really horrible.....
Jay is way more monolithic in style but is a milestone of indie rock, so i'm always happy to listen to early Dino, but i can't say i'm a fan. I loved the Dino with Lou B.

blunderbuss 05.08.2009 06:50 AM

Back in the day I preferred Frank Black, but these days I'd sooner listen to Dino Jr's greatest hits than The Pixies'.

Both of them have been treading water for way too long though.

Kuwa_Slayne 05.08.2009 06:50 AM

Tough choice. They each bring something totally different to the table--I'll have to ponder this. Frank Black is up there with great screams for sure. I rank him up there with Kurt Cobain and Paul McCartney.

noisereductions 05.08.2009 07:02 AM

uh, apples vs oranges. Voice = Frank. Guitar = J.

Kuwa_Slayne 05.08.2009 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions

Word.

andrei 05.08.2009 07:20 AM

Musically i'd go with the pixie.

In fact, i'm gonna listen to some pixies right now :D

greedrex 05.08.2009 07:22 AM

yeah this thread made me unearth this nice one, the last great album he did before he lost it miserably:

VERY nice guitars.

noisereductions 05.08.2009 07:45 AM

^yes, The Catholics albums do have some great guitar playing (see: FRANK BLACK AND THE CATHOLICS and DOG IN THE SAND as well). But of course, it can't all be credited to Frank, either.

But I mean Freank & J are different KINDS of singers. And they're different KINDS of guitar players. It's like saying "who's better? Nas or Bobby Hutcherson?"

greedrex 05.08.2009 07:59 AM

i totally disliked Dog in the sand. But i loved that yellow s:t album. Amazing songs. Listened to it A LOT back in the day.
yes the question is bit weird but hey, whatvez (as Batreleaser would say)

atsonicpark 05.08.2009 08:01 AM

mascis is technically better at guitar, frank black had more interresting music though, so frank black...

noisereductions 05.08.2009 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greedrex
i totally disliked Dog in the sand. But i loved that yellow s:t album. Amazing songs. Listened to it A LOT back in the day.
yes the question is bit weird but hey, whatvez (as Batreleaser would say)

yeah, the s/t is excellent. As is CULT OF RAY. His style changed (again) drastically when The Catholics entered the picture. Also, I should note that I hated DOG IN THE SAND when it came out, but I listened to again this year for the first time since, and thought it was really good. So I dont know.

greedrex 05.08.2009 08:16 AM

mmm maybe i should try again then.

diskaholic-anonymous 05.08.2009 08:39 AM

Quote:

no it's more like if you love apples so eat oranges...yeah different styles, totaly! but i'm more in to the Franck b. style.

wellcharge 05.08.2009 08:59 AM

Quote:

But I mean Freank & J are different KINDS of singers. And they're different KINDS of guitar players. It's like saying "who's better? Nas or Bobby Hutcherson?"

bobby hutcherson

j mascis

noisereductions 05.08.2009 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellcharge
bobby hutcherson

"Montara" is one of the most perfect melodies ever composed.

Rob Instigator 05.08.2009 09:20 AM

frank black's solo records suck SHIT

I hate em

J mascis is GOD

frank black used to scream so great, and yelp and shit, so he wins that one, but J has better everything else, even with his coraky neil young on delaudil voice.

greedrex 05.08.2009 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
frank black's solo records suck SHIT

nope:mad:
Have you heard "Teenager of the year"?
A good half of the songs on there is even fiercer than any Pixies song!
Do yrself a favour, Rob, I mean it!

Rob Instigator 05.08.2009 09:24 AM

I have. I bought all of frank blacks solo stuff when it came out man. boring fucking shit. my bro likes them a lot, but he also likes Jesus & mary Chain. ha ha!

wellcharge 05.08.2009 09:26 AM

Quote:

"Montara" is one of the most perfect melodies ever composed.

yeah it's good, i really like catta too