Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Would The Eternal have been improved by having Dave Mustaine play on each track? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=41164)

demonrail666 09.02.2010 05:09 PM

Would The Eternal have been improved by having Dave Mustaine play on each track?

There's a poll.

pokkeherrie 09.02.2010 05:12 PM

YES! YES! (and i don't even like megadeth)

goddammit.

There seems to have been a problem with the Sonic Youth Gossip database.
Please try again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, whom you can also contact if the problem persists.
We apologise for any inconvenience.

jennthebenn 09.02.2010 05:15 PM

My two most-played albums of 1990: Goo and Rust in Peace.

Mustaine has an autobiography out that I want to get. You think Hetfield
would ever write an autobiography? Hell no. Filling out a crossword puzzle
probably exhausts his brain for a day.

SuperCreep 09.02.2010 05:24 PM

as long as he didn't sing. i strongly dislike megadeth, but i can't deny rust in peace is riff heaven.

demonrail666 09.02.2010 05:58 PM

which begs the question, would Rust in Peace have been improved by having Kim/Lee/Thurston sing on every track?

atsonicpark 09.02.2010 06:21 PM

demonrail666 09.02.2010 06:24 PM

So that's what that green light suddenly flashing above my screen was all about.

ann ashtray 09.02.2010 07:16 PM

Dave's a big baby, and a bore.

I always loved how the Megadeth logo was almost exactly the same as the Metallica logo.

atsonicpark 09.02.2010 07:19 PM

Dave's a brilliant guitar player, better than anyone in Metallica (though Metallica's songs were usually better). Megadeth were awesome for a while.

ann ashtray 09.02.2010 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Dave's a brilliant guitar player, better than anyone in Metallica (though Metallica's songs were usually better). Megadeth were awesome for a while.

I agree....but technicality doesn't always = good music, which you've already clearly stated.

Dude just fails in the creative department. YOU WERE A DRUNK AND YA FUCKED UP GET OVER IT.

SuperCreep 09.02.2010 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
which begs the question, would Rust in Peace have been improved by having Kim/Lee/Thurston sing on every track?

i can hear thurston working really well with those songs in my head. not so sure about kim and lee.

Magic Wheel Memory 09.02.2010 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennthebenn
My two most-played albums of 1990: Goo and Rust in Peace.

Mustaine has an autobiography out that I want to get. You think Hetfield
would ever write an autobiography? Hell no. Filling out a crossword puzzle
probably exhausts his brain for a day.

Just finished it. Pretty good read, though it's basically what you expect it to be.

Magic Wheel Memory 09.02.2010 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ann ashtray
Dude just fails in the creative department.

I think he kicks ass in the creative department.

Magic Wheel Memory 09.02.2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
There's a poll.

The conventional wisdom is that Dave's absence from The Eternal left a void, in terms of heavy thrashiness. But I think it allowed the songs to "breathe" in a very nice way.

automatic bzooty 09.02.2010 10:54 PM

sonic youth just hasn't been the same since dave quit

jennthebenn 09.02.2010 11:02 PM

Or since Uma's not around anymore.

Chris Lawrence 09.02.2010 11:33 PM

i don't think i've ever heard a megadeth record but i trust everything mark says.

atsonicpark 09.03.2010 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory
Just finished it. Pretty good read, though it's basically what you expect it to be.

Let's say the book is 600 pages long. On how many pages does he mention Hetfield and/or Ulrich? 601 of 'em?

Death & the Maiden 09.03.2010 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
i don't think i've ever heard a megadeth record but i trust everything mark says.

Rust in Peace probably does deserve the ten, but only sevens for Killing is my Business and Peace Sells?
I saw Dave Mustain's book yesterday, and I remembered watching the Megadeth Behind the Music thing on youtube. It was mostly just stuff like (narrator) "Dave was an out of control rock star living the rock n roll lifestyle!" followed by Dave listing all the different drugs he was a ddicted to and how many times he went to rehab. So I decided not to get it.

atsonicpark 09.03.2010 12:45 AM

Wow, Chris, he just posted those Megadeth reviews; nice to see another big fan of Prind.. I've been reading him for a good 10 years now too... insane!