Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   William Bennets thoughts on ATP (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9665)

whorefrost 01.08.2007 08:22 AM

William Bennets thoughts on ATP

as much as I dig Whitehouse, Bennet doesn't half talk some shit:

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

ALL YESTERDAY'S TEENAGE BEDROOM WALLS

Being named after a 40-year-old Velvets' song is the giveaway.

If there's one thing I really have a problem with in music, it's this cringeworthy veneration of the distant past. It's like one of those 'legends' football matches where some fading star like Beckham gets to have his teenage idol Pelé in his team.

And I'm sorry to say this but ATP is the modern-day equivalent of the fucking revival cabaret tour. There's no irony lost on these guys, they even take place in Butlins holiday camps. It's bad enough when all those godawful 80s bands like Flock Of Seagulls and T'Pau come back to haunt us but this ATP stuff is arguably worse: it's predominantly the 60s and 70s. It's at the level of Elvis impersonators. It's fucking nostalgia unlimited.

I can hear some hecklers saying, well, you cunts did ATP in London, you're just bitter 'cos you got bottled off the stage. And there is some truth in that because, for fuck's sake, Whitehouse is 26 years old, and at the time I do admit that concert was a totally frustrating and depressing experience, albeit compounded by the breathtaking incompetence of that legendary numpty, the ATP stage manager. However, on kinder reflection, I look back on our premature exit as a vindication of sorts. A reassuringly healthy disrespect for 'tradition'.

And bear with me a bit longer while I'm still ranting on this topic (it's one of those days, I'm afraid); it's really disappointing, for all the above-mentioned reasons, to hear about Thurston Moore showing old Come Organisation videos at last weekend's bash without even asking for permission (which, by the way, wouldn't have been given). So there.

posted by William Bennett at 10:14 AM 7 comments

jon boy 01.08.2007 08:26 AM

a rant indeed.

sonicl 01.08.2007 08:32 AM

What a miserable little bugger! (But I wouldn't have expected anything else)

jon boy 01.08.2007 08:43 AM

he's worse than you sonicl!

Pookie 01.08.2007 08:50 AM

Has to be commended for the use of the word "numpty", surely.

ALIEN ANAL 01.08.2007 08:50 AM

wat the beans is atp?

Pookie 01.08.2007 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALIEN ANAL
wat the beans is atp?

It's an old Lou Reed song.

ALIEN ANAL 01.08.2007 08:57 AM

in relation to this

porkmarras 01.08.2007 08:59 AM

It's a kind of holiday resort for working class families with a perverted twist.

Pookie 01.08.2007 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
It's a kind of holiday resort for working class families with a perverted twist.

Hey steady on. I come from a working class family with a perverted twist.

jon boy 01.08.2007 09:25 AM

you are a working class family, i will leave the perverted twists bit out.

_slavo_ 01.08.2007 09:44 AM

this bennet must be a bitter person, eh?

porkmarras 01.08.2007 09:45 AM

Well,bless his heart but his music has never been the work of a fragile soul or has it now?

Iain 01.08.2007 10:23 AM

Haha...I love his rants. I take it this is from his blog. I like the fact that his rants are like that of a slighty annoyed middle aged man. There's none of the venom that you'd expect from hearing Whitehouses music.

sonicl 01.08.2007 10:27 AM

His complaints make some sense in the context of ATP's "Don't Look Back" shows, but I don't understand what he's moaning about in the context of Nightmare Before Christmas.

jon boy 01.08.2007 10:28 AM

he learnt everything from me.