Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   burning the koran in florida (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=41276)

jon boy 09.10.2010 10:25 AM

burning the koran in florida

are there really that many copies of the koran in the actual state of florida? will they be lucky to light three cigarettes from the flames?

or as suchfreinds would put it, whole of florida a racist state.

SONIC GAIL 09.10.2010 10:41 AM

Huh????? I have yet to see a koran here let alone burn it and why????? we are not all racist mostly just the rich. The rest of us r just tryin to make it down here despite yr color or religious beliefs.

hevusa 09.10.2010 10:55 AM

it looks like the redneck is finally getting it and calling the burning off.
THANKS SOUTHERN AMERICA!

SONIC GAIL 09.10.2010 11:04 AM

you talkin to me hevusa:)

ploesj 09.10.2010 12:46 PM

good. burning any book is a barbaric act, i wonder how he'd react if someone burned a bible in front of him... and christians don't even treat their bible as a holy thing as much as muslims do with the koran.

i've actually read both the bible and the koran (a translation) and the basic message is roughly the same. but dare i say it? the koran is nicer to read. i liked the poetry. i'm not religious at all, but i like reading different views (tried mein kampf once but didn't make it through the first two chapters, call me prejudiced but hitler was quite a narcissistic little bitch)

gualbert 09.10.2010 12:59 PM

I guess that dude is discussing right now with the FBI and CNN about the point and effects of doing it.

akprodr 09.10.2010 01:07 PM

Apparently, just the threat was enough to prompt bombings and such.

hevusa 09.10.2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL
you talkin to me hevusa:)

yeah, I couldn't resist a jab to the mid section. as soon as you got some good ol' southern cooking in me I would shut right up though.

Rob Instigator 09.10.2010 01:44 PM

The q'uran was written as a whole piece of literature.

the Bible (meaning "collection of books") was put together out of dozens if not hundreds of sepaarte sources, and codified into one volume. It was never meant to be read front to back as a book is read.

too many fundamentalist idiots forget or are never taught this.

ploesj 09.10.2010 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
The q'uran was written as a whole piece of literature.

the Bible (meaning "collection of books") was put together out of dozens if not hundreds of sepaarte sources, and codified into one volume. It was never meant to be read front to back as a book is read.

too many fundamentalist idiots forget or are never taught this.

you must spread etc etc.

there is really no point in condemning a religion for something christianity did too, a few hundred years ago. (crusades...)

most large religions go through a violent phase with large growth, and then get smaller. islam is a younger religion so they have this phase later. look at it as puberty.

Rob Instigator 09.10.2010 02:14 PM

Wasn't the Ottoman Empire a Muslim one?

at least the Ottoman empire welcomed science and learning and knowledge and collected and protected the knowledge for westerners to catch up on later.

when the christians take over they tend to see all knowledge that does not come from the bible as evil and worthy of being burned, destroyed, forgotten.

Derek 09.10.2010 02:16 PM

When people say they have read the bible, what one are they talking about? I mean, there's 66 books that form the bible.

gualbert 09.10.2010 02:29 PM

USA is a very religious country AND also the most advanced in science and technology.

automatic bzooty 09.10.2010 02:39 PM

you'd think people would have learned something from the fuckery and riots five years ago...

ann ashtray 09.10.2010 03:00 PM

I've been following this story...

Irritated me quite a bit. Posted this on Facebook a couple days ago:

"
Christians ranting on about the violence in the Koran need to take the time to consider all the violence in their own bibles. This isn't a jab at either religion (I personally don't care what one chooses to believe as long as it doesn't effect me in a negative manner), but merely me being frustrated at utter hypocrisy."

ennui61 09.10.2010 03:05 PM

What is the deal every Sept 11 someone somewhere has to do something to remind the survivors and everyone else it's 9/11 like it is some kind of twisted holiday. My brother was working there that day. The second plane hit more or less where he worked at Fuji Trust. He was lucky he was on his way out when the plane hit. He survived but it changed him forever. He's fine but a different person than he was before that day. I don't think he or anyone else that was there or involved with the horror that was that day needs to be reminded every damn year.
Granted noone is going to forget that day and the tragedy it was but can we for once let the day pass without reminding them and everyone else to relive the horrors.
This preacher in Fla wants to burn the Koran. Fine do it privately and save some gas to pour on yourself so you can get better acquainted with what it felt like for those who lost their lives that day.

SONIC GAIL 09.10.2010 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hevusa
yeah, I couldn't resist a jab to the mid section. as soon as you got some good ol' southern cooking in me I would shut right up though.

oh fuck off:)

i have the same god they do we just call him somethin different

SONIC GAIL 09.10.2010 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Wasn't the Ottoman Empire a Muslim one?

at least the Ottoman empire welcomed science and learning and knowledge and collected and protected the knowledge for westerners to catch up on later.

when the christians take over they tend to see all knowledge that does not come from the bible as evil and worthy of being burned, destroyed, forgotten.

they dont understand that if there god could make everything else why would he not make knowledge.....in fact proverbs is a book of knowledge and understanding

these people are givin jesus believers a bad rap fuck em

SONIC GAIL 09.10.2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ann ashtray
I've been following this story...

Irritated me quite a bit. Posted this on Facebook a couple days ago:

"
Christians ranting on about the violence in the Koran need to take the time to consider all the violence in their own bibles. This isn't a jab at either religion (I personally don't care what one chooses to believe as long as it doesn't effect me in a negative manner), but merely me being frustrated at utter hypocrisy."

that hypocrisy is usually what turns people off when it comes to god. now that we are allowed to think for ourselves we usually don't want to get mixed up in some group that does not live by what they speak. It really irritates me as a christian because I respect ALL religions. God made everyone different so why would he not communicate with them in different ways? And those that do not believe in god usually follow the same morals as those that do and I do think that they should be respected equally. Its about giving to others and being a good person not fighting about who is right and wrong. If yopu believe in god then you believe he wants evryone here not just you.

Diesel 09.10.2010 03:16 PM

Happy Eid Mubarak!