Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Stooges play Jimmy Kimmel Live tonight. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=12587)

atari 2600 04.24.2007 09:50 PM

The Stooges play Jimmy Kimmel Live tonight.

The cable guide says there'll be a sit-down segment with Iggy Pop as well.

silverfreepress (sdasher) 04.24.2007 09:56 PM

I hope Iggy Pop eats Jimmy Kimmel.

Everyneurotic 04.24.2007 10:11 PM

i hope iggy pop doesn't embarrass himself fruther.

atari 2600 04.24.2007 11:29 PM

I was just switching channels around and Bush is being interviewed on Charlie Rose and at one point he went back to General Petraeus' recommendations by seemingly ever-so-emphatically stating, "but, you know, we gotta give his chance a plan to work."

What seems to be the president, Mr. Problem?
that's my question hee

cryptowonderdruginvogue 04.25.2007 12:13 AM

what channel/time?

pantophobia 04.25.2007 12:20 AM

they did some new song first, then as they went off the air they played 'i wanna be your dog'

RdTv 04.25.2007 12:21 AM

Was Watt on bass?

pantophobia 04.25.2007 12:26 AM

yep, quite into it as well

i wonder if this is the first time he has been on national tv Watt

pbradley 04.25.2007 12:43 AM

I keep hearing about how lame the new stooges material is and I'm not much of a jimmy kimmel fan...

eh, I'll probably watch it.

king_buzzo 04.25.2007 02:24 AM

Was this today or yesterday? Videos?

atari 2600 04.25.2007 08:57 AM

I think she took his money.

atari 2600 04.25.2007 08:06 PM

He has before, but not to my knowledge, recently.

He always stips down to a bare chest though.

The band played well, but I'm taken aback by their choice of song ("She Took My Money") which is extra heavy-duty vocal and riff-repetitive.

I mean, here you have millions getting a chance to hear Ron, and he never did anything but play barres.
The same goes for original Fun House saxophonist Steve MacKay who was also onstage (& appears on The Weirdness), but unfortunately, played nothing but a straight-ahead simple blues riff the whole time.

atari 2600 04.25.2007 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
I was kind of joking. I supppose he's too old to behave like that. I hope he still has some sick energy to deliver a kickass show, though.

But according to what you wrote, that's not the case:

What makes me glad is that you're not saying they sucked, or anything like that. Maybe they played kind of a friendly set since they were on TV and not on fucking CBGB's?

I want my Iggy Pop and The Stooges to behave like fucking animals when playing live. Guess we'll have to wait for some bootlegs and live shows to judge them better.

True, there's bound to be some. Let's keep our fingers crossed for a nice FM sbd or straight soundboard tap. I imagine there will be some pro-shots of the tour. There already is one (unofficial, of course) live dvd that I saw for sale at my locally-owned record shop.

Haha...yeah, I read you now...
I think it was during the L.A. heroin years that he cut himself all up.

Actually, I enjoyed them last night, but the very realistic and very sad news is that they really did come off as a bunch of over-the-hill, reputation-banking, has-been charity cases. The album is much stronger than that and it was a poor choice of song. "Greedy Awful People" or "I'm Fried" would have been much more to my liking.

SonikJesus 05.02.2007 11:06 PM

Here's the youtube link. He talks quite a bit about Kurt Cobain at the end. The paet where he talks about calling Kurt is hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYzzE7HNYtg

tesla69 05.03.2007 09:54 AM

Wow! Watt on Jimmy Kimbel and Chris Corsano on SNL all in one week!

MellySingsDoom 05.03.2007 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atari 2600
The band played well, but I'm taken aback by their choice of song ("She Took My Money") which is extra heavy-duty vocal and riff-repetitive.

I mean, here you have millions getting a chance to hear Ron, and he never did anything but play barres.
The same goes for original Fun House saxophonist Steve MacKay who was also onstage (& appears on The Weirdness), but unfortunately, played nothing but a straight-ahead simple blues riff the whole time.

I suspect they chose that to fit in with the restrictions for performing on a TV show like that. No wild guitar heroics or antics, just a solid song that may go over quite well with the viewers. You could consider the Stooges performing anywhere on TV a small victory in itself.

atari 2600 05.03.2007 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonikJesus
Here's the youtube link. He talks quite a bit about Kurt Cobain at the end. The paet where he talks about calling Kurt is hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYzzE7HNYtg

I only mentioned a "sit-down" interview segment and neglected to mention Iggy's Cobain anecdotes to keep the tired antics of the usual Cobain-bashing flamers at bay.