Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   so.. what's going on w' the divorce?? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=66862)

fullchromelogic 12.25.2011 12:15 AM

so.. what's going on w' the divorce??

i haven't heard anything and i hven't posted on this board in probably two years so... updates? or links?

blunderbuss 12.25.2011 06:10 AM

It's not happening after all. Turned out they hadn't turned the page over on their calendar for months, and thought it was April Fool's Day.

Pelle 12.25.2011 06:53 AM

lololololololol we're foooools

fullchromelogic 12.25.2011 11:27 AM

??? really?

Pelle 12.25.2011 11:31 AM

Not much info at all what I've seen around.

I only know Lee said that SY is on hold.

Pelle 12.25.2011 01:13 PM

^
:cool:

sy2004 12.26.2011 02:27 PM

about the question itself "the divorce??"

imo, that's not our business, it's a private thing

DaveCromwell 12.26.2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullchromelogic
i haven't heard anything and i hven't posted on this board in probably two years so...

Now I don't feel so bad about my (what I thought were) long hiatus. ;)

E. Noisefield 12.26.2011 08:00 PM

This means I technically have a new "favorite extant band", since SY's currently not... extant. First time in a decade and a half.

Pelle 12.26.2011 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sy2004
about the question itself "the divorce??"

imo, that's not our business, it's a private thing

private thing, but we give a fuck..

ann ashtray 12.29.2011 06:40 AM

They've separated.
Sonic Youth as an active unit is likely over.
Lee's new solo album will be better than the last two Sonic Youth albums.
I think it's a good thing. Folks put too much pressure on their heroes. I just hope they are both happy.

EVOLghost 12.29.2011 08:34 AM

I seriously hate it when you talk abuot this subject.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 12.29.2011 11:43 AM

well, its been an uphill battle but I think the teeth and claws might finally have been sheathed..

oh wait, you're probably talking about Thurston and Kim, I thought we we're talking about my divorce, oh right, that was years ago ;)

jennthebenn 12.29.2011 12:00 PM

I must paint more houses in the tone of Reputation before I can return with
my trusty brushes and cans to EVOLGhost's abode. Drat.

EVOLghost 12.29.2011 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennthebenn
I must paint more houses in the tone of Reputation before I can return with
my trusty brushes and cans to EVOLGhost's abode. Drat.

:D.

badgercorn 01.02.2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ann ashtray
They've separated.
Sonic Youth as an active unit is likely over.
Lee's new solo album will be better than the last two Sonic Youth albums.
I think it's a good thing. Folks put too much pressure on their heroes. I just hope they are both happy.

Even if Sonic Youth is absolutely, definitely continuing, T and K are going to have far too much to deal with at the moment to formalise any plans regarding the band. So we just don't know. On hold.

greendog 01.08.2012 07:45 PM

SY as we know it are done. It's over, we all need to move on (sadly). Then in 10 years, there will be the obligatory "nostalgic reunion tour", and we will all pay loads of cash to see it.

ann ashtray 01.13.2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgercorn
Even if Sonic Youth is absolutely, definitely continuing, T and K are going to have far too much to deal with at the moment to formalise any plans regarding the band. So we just don't know. On hold.

It'll be a while either way, sure...but it isn't like we're talking about a band that is made up of members in their 20's or 30's. While these is no expiration date on these sort of things, it's not likely they've got another 30 years left in them as an active unit. No way.

I know my opinions get on the nerves of some fans. Sorry. My opinions will change as soon as they announce they they are working on a new album and are planning a new tour.

ann ashtray 01.13.2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgercorn

It'll be a while either way, sure...but it isn't like we're talking about a band that is made up of members in their 20's or 30's. While these is no expiration date on these sort of things, it's not likely they've got another 30 years left in them as an active unit. No way.

I know my opinions get on the nerves of some fans. Sorry. My opinions will change as soon as they announce they they are working on a new album and are planning a new tour.

The band has already given more than what can seriously be expected out of any artist. I've been a fan for ages and still occasionally come across new stuff. I think that's pretty cool.

Genteel Death 01.14.2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ann ashtray

The band has already given more than what can seriously be expected out of any artist. I've been a fan for ages and still occasionally come across new stuff. I think that's pretty cool.

This is true , at least in my case. Because of their massive output, and my unwillingness to track down every single side project both as a band or single members they've been involved in, I am now able to take it easy and find some time to listen to stuff I previously put on the shelf for special occasions.