Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Favorite Saturday Morning Cartoons? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=110245)

Rob Instigator 10.16.2014 04:42 PM

Favorite Saturday Morning Cartoons?

Now that the last USA network to air a block of children's cartoons (The CW) has announced that it will no longer do so, I wanted to ask here what were your favorite Saturday Morning cartoons?

I grew up before VCR's and so my brother and I would fight and argue over what cartoon we wanted to watch. He always wanted to watch Smurfs, and I hated Smurfs. I loved watching Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner cartoons, Tom & Jerry cartoons, Dungeons & Dragons, Spiderman, Superfriends, He Man, GI Joe, etc.

My little bro was really into Care Bears.

What were your favorites?

pantophobia 10.16.2014 04:56 PM

all about Muppet Babies, far and away

i remember a lot of the one off ones quite a lot, such as Teen Wolf, Foofur, M.A.S.K. , Wildfire as some of my favorites

Rob Instigator 10.16.2014 04:58 PM

MASK! I had those toys. I also dug Muppet babies. It was the most well written one.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 10.16.2014 05:39 PM

There arent good saturday AM cartoons anymore even on cable let alone network tv.. highlights of the 90s era were X-Men, Ironman, Spiderman, Ronin Warriors, original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Exo-Squad.. with X-Men I rewatched it on netflix last year shit was even better than I ever remembered..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 10.16.2014 05:43 PM

I blame all the lame Yu Gi Oh style "card game anime" style cartoons for ruining it.. also the besy American anime EVER was Batman The Animated Series on WB but wasnt saturday it was weekdaya after school.. it was a well written film noir morality play and it is still some of the best anime ive ever seen!! I had to buy it on ebay

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 10.16.2014 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PLips
The Tick was a really funny superhero spoof. Eek! the cat was great too

Fucking shit I totally forgot about Eek The Cat!!

LifeDistortion 10.16.2014 07:10 PM

I used to wake up really early to watch Saturday Morning Cartoons, but I can't remember most of the 80's stuff. Transformers, but I can't say for certain if it was a Saturday cartoon or weekday, or both. I remember waking up to see The Three Stooges and Our Gang, which aired even before the cartoons started, like at 5 & 6 A.M.

!@#$%! 10.16.2014 08:11 PM

we didn't have saturday morning cartoons where i grew up. children's programming was after school, something like 3 to 6pm. there were 3 channels, one owned by the government. but yeah. my favorite thing of them all was robotech/macross/whatever. i tried watching recently and it was such shit.

i like bundesliga on saturday mornings.

bayern munich vs. werder bremen this weekend. bremen has had a tough 3 or so years recently so i don't expect surprises.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 10.16.2014 08:18 PM

80s cartoons were total.shit, the 90s were better

!@#$%! 10.16.2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
80s cartoons were total.shit, the 90s were better

ren & stimpy then

the happy happy joy joy song

Bytor Peltor 10.16.2014 09:45 PM

My younger brother and I could always agree on:

And I usually had these in tow:

If memory serves, Super Friends were usually followed by, Land Of The Lost

When spending weekends at my grandparents in Livingston, early morning TV viewing included......The Three Stooges :D

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 10.16.2014 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
ren & stimpy then

the happy happy joy joy song

I was actually kind of disappointed when I watched ren and.stimpy.again as.an.adult.a few years.ago, it.was.not.as.good.as it.was.when I.was.a.kid.and.then.a.teen.. log is good,.same.with powdered.toast man

foreverasskiss 10.17.2014 02:21 AM

i remember very early 80's like The Littles, Inspector Gadget, Smurfs, Care Bears but i don't think all those were Saturday only toons. some nickelodeon.

sad, because the late 80's is when i watched the most but only Saved by the Bell i remember and shit. i thought that show was dated when it aired.

Rob Instigator 10.17.2014 09:21 AM

lots of toons were saturday only until they got syndicated, liuke transformers, GI Joe, He Man, The Littles, etc.

I used to dig the Littles. I wanted a rubber band powered plane

foreverasskiss 10.17.2014 03:46 PM

i clearly remember an episode of the Littles where someone was a drug addict. maybe one of the parents. the theme song was kinda cute.

Toilet & Bowels 10.17.2014 07:02 PM

He-Man and subsequently She-Ra, Transformers, Go-Bots, Tom and Jerry and Looney Tunes, Care Bears, Gummy Bears, Centurions. I forget what else. Quite a bit of this stuff was weekdays after school rather than Saturday mornings though.

Nefeli 10.18.2014 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Quite a bit of this stuff was weekdays after school rather than Saturday mornings though.

same here.

pink panther, maya the bee, coyote looney tunes, bolek and lolek, sesame str but wait that wasnt cartoons..but basically was big fan of muppet show.
heidi - because of the breakfast she was having and the mountains.

Toilet & Bowels 10.18.2014 02:59 AM

I forgot Battle of the Planets

Nefeli 10.18.2014 03:07 AM

there was this japanese cartoon...everybody was raving about, but i was skipping cuz i was finding it too girlie, lamely romantic ... how was the name..?

candy candy!

EVOLghost 10.18.2014 08:46 AM

I dunno about Saturday morning...but The Adventures of GUmball on Cartoon Network is hilarious. I think it's the best kids cartoon out there right now. I can't stop laughing at it.