Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   (another) ive just seen melt banana thread!!!!! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=22816)

PAULYBEE2656 06.21.2008 09:17 AM

(another) ive just seen melt banana thread!!!!!

last night in dublin... truely life affirming gig. anmazing show, amazing sound and amazing friendlieness from them... loved every damn loud, fucking loud, second of it..

the little 10 minute medely of "short songs" ewas hilarious... possibly the loudest thing ive heard live (louder than lightning bolt) and possibly up there with the greatest live gig ive ever seen....

supported by the awesome dublin party weirdo on their final show...

melt banana rule all!! i fear tho, i may have actually finally done some damage to my hearing.. ill know in 48 hours or so....

Toilet & Bowels 06.21.2008 09:28 AM

i'm in love with yako

PAULYBEE2656 06.21.2008 09:54 AM

yes...... soooo sweet and nice.. she was ultra polite and spitting vemon at the same time....

Everyneurotic 06.21.2008 02:01 PM

yes, yasuko is amazing; such carisma.

definitely, "life affirming" is the word for their life shows.

batreleaser 06.21.2008 02:04 PM

i told you the 'short songs' segment rules

vulva 06.21.2008 03:01 PM

They need to come to Toronto right now.

PAULYBEE2656 06.21.2008 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
i told you the 'short songs' segment rules

it was classic.. the mosh pit going mental for short bursts and just breaking their shit in laughter every 30 seconds.. funniest thing ive ever seen at a gig...apart from bob mould walking out on stage and getting a full wet bogroll plonked straight on his head!

johnnywinternoshow 06.21.2008 06:17 PM

I thought Party Weirdo were awful in Belfast. The drummer was great but the other two were like inanimate objects on stage and the bassist looked embarassed to even be there, especially on one song where they were all screaming into the mic.

Melt Banana on the other hand were excellent

Glice 06.21.2008 08:42 PM

I saw a band going through the motions this evening. Luckily, there aren't any other bands that have such an amazing live show, so their motions are better than 99% of bands at full tilt.

demonrail666 06.21.2008 08:45 PM

There's something about seeing a band going through the motions. They're like decent roofers. You don't want a roofer that's gonna start improvising over your guttering. You want a decent job done. A lot of bands could learn a lot from a decent roofer. A lot of everything could learn a lot from a decent roofer, for that matter.

atsonicpark 06.22.2008 06:47 AM

I got that sticker (the logo on top) on my guitar, it's fucking huge.

This is seriously the 4th or 5th "i just saw melt banana thread"... we've all seen tons of the same bands, but this is the only one to really get that kind of response.. amazing.

What a fucking guitarist...

batreleaser 06.22.2008 07:01 AM

agata is one of the best guitarists on the planet. hes actually sorta underrated too. i think he should be mentioned among the best, but he certainly aint.

Glice 06.22.2008 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
There's something about seeing a band going through the motions. They're like decent roofers. You don't want a roofer that's gonna start improvising over your guttering. You want a decent job done. A lot of bands could learn a lot from a decent roofer. A lot of everything could learn a lot from a decent roofer, for that matter.

Did you get to see Avril? There is something very comforting about people being very good at what they do. As you say.

Hangovers and me are once again forced to spend time together.

atsonicpark 06.22.2008 07:50 AM

agata is unbelievable.

I am curious as to how he doesn't break any strings actually. I think he's tuned right above open g.. I found his tuning somewhere on the web, it's pretty high...

batreleaser 06.22.2008 09:42 AM

do you like his solo shit? i sure as fuck do. i would have loved to hear something with agata and derek bailey, too bad hes gone. i know they have different styles completley but ive always imagined their guitar styles together would sound great.

PAULYBEE2656 06.22.2008 12:39 PM

agata was stunning.. i mean that noise from one guitar.. i know pedals and shit etc but his technique is truely... erm, stunning... high velocity rampage!!!!

there was a point in the set, about midway where he omitted a frequency, feedback modulated i reckon, that actually hurt my ears, i wa fearful that it did permanent damage but today, 2 days later, they are back to normal....

everyone goes on about the guitarist, vocals, drummer.. and quite justifiably as well but the bassist is also quite an amazing little musician... totally rockin...

shit guys, fucking amazing band.. if they ever appear close to your vicinity.. go see them... stunning!

Everyneurotic 06.22.2008 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
everyone goes on about the guitarist, vocals, drummer.. and quite justifiably as well but the bassist is also quite an amazing little musician... totally rockin...

rika...oh shit, she's barely taller than her bass but she still plays those fast fluid lines that actually support the songs over which agata does his stuff.

when i saw them, i was standing right in front of her, until the fast beat started on "shiled for your eyes..." afterwards i was in a whilrwind of people after which i ended up somewhere else.

Derek 06.22.2008 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I got that sticker (the logo on top) on my guitar, it's fucking huge.

Hell yeah, my friend put the sticker on his bass.

Quote:

I am curious as to how he doesn't break any strings actually. I think he's tuned right above open g.. I found his tuning somewhere on the web, it's pretty high...
He might just put say, an A string where the E string is and tune it down (or up, I'm not too sure of notes).

PAULYBEE2656 06.22.2008 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
when i saw them, i was standing right in front of her, until the fast beat started on "shiled for your eyes..." afterwards i was in a whilrwind of people after which i ended up somewhere else.

ha, i was standing just in front of rika, i was in "the mosh" kinda but had to stand my ground.. i ws transfixed by them......... i wasnt budging a motherfucking inch..... until my ear fell out at the last encore.......

PAULYBEE2656 06.22.2008 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnywinternoshow
I thought Party Weirdo were awful in Belfast..............
Melt Banana on the other hand were excellent

they are an aquired taste.. the dublin gig was their last tho....
i love em, real quirky that dog crossed with erase errata tounge in feminist cheek pop...