Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   FCC votes for Net Neutrality (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=111292)

The Soup Nazi 02.26.2015 04:42 PM

FCC votes for Net Neutrality

This is truly important for all of us who use the Internets (they have 'em for computers now), so I figured I'd copy and paste the e-mail I got from Demand Progress. (A primer on Net Neutrality here).

Quote:

The FCC just passed the strongest Net Neutrality protections we’ve ever seen by reclassifying Internet access under Title II.

This is huge--but the fight is not over. The FCC passed Net Neutrality, but now we have to defend it from Comcast’s allies in Congress, who have already written legislation to overturn the new rule.

Will you chip in $5 to help stop Congress from overturning the FCC’s new Net Neutrality rules?

Members of Congress who have gotten huge amounts of money from Comcast are pushing legislation to overturn Net Neutrality.
And now Fox News is piling on, calling Net Neutrality “ObamaNet” and making groundless accusations challenging how the rule was developed.
It took years of organizing and millions of phone calls, petition signatures, rallies, and protests. But we did it. Now we need to defend it. Will you chip in $5 to stop Congress from overturning Net Neutrality?

Yes, I'll chip in $5.

Thanks.
-Demand Progress

http://act.demandprogress.org/o.gif?....274668.H25ZSM

One last thing: Demand Progress's small, dedicated staff relies on the generosity of members like you to support our work. Click here to make a donation to support our work. Thank you!

Paid for by Demand Progress (DemandProgress.org) and not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee. Contributions are not deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes.

!@#$%! 02.26.2015 05:07 PM

FUCK YEAH. i mentioned this in the "relevant" thread. thanks for posting that email.

of course the ISPs will fight it in court too, so we'll see.

but this regulates them like a public utility-- a good thing.

ETA IMPORTANT

YOUR LINK LOOKS LIKE A PHISHING SCAM/MALWARE LINK & DIRECTS TO

https://3c-lxa.mail.com

ilduclo 02.26.2015 05:23 PM

now, if they'd do the same thing about catv and cable internet

!@#$%! 02.26.2015 06:01 PM

cable internet yes.

comcast is one of the big players here bitching against that.

isn't it?

especially because they lose viewers to netflix traffic (and now amazon)

===

PS (for soupnazi) - as i understand/ just read congress is NOT going to push for legislation as they lack support-- so the battle is now IN THE COURTS.

prolly will make it to the supremos.

I SAID THIS ABOVE BUT I'LL RESTATE IT HERE THE EMAIL YOU GOT LOOKS SCAMMY AS FUCK

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.26.2015 06:33 PM

Good news for folks who want to continue milking their data usage streaming endless hours of bullshit ;)

The Soup Nazi 02.26.2015 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
ETA IMPORTANT

YOUR LINK LOOKS LIKE A PHISHING SCAM/MALWARE LINK & DIRECTS TO

https://3c-lxa.mail.com

It's not a scam or anything you should worry about, fortunately; I just should have linked you directly to www.demandprogress.org instead of copypasting the e-mail. When I get an e-mail into my mail.com account, all links received are directed to some mail.com limbo first ("You're leaving mail.com, click here if you're not redirected in five seconds" or something) and then reach their actual destination. I know it sounds murky, but again, there's no shitware involved. Word!

LifeDistortion 02.26.2015 07:04 PM

Of course the Republicans are scaring everyone into saying Obama is controlling the internet, and hates democracy. So many people don't even know what net neutrality is, and what it means, so it's easy to distract and manipulate the average person.

!@#$%! 02.26.2015 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
It's not a scam or anything you should worry about, fortunately; I just should have linked you directly to www.demandprogress.org instead of copypasting the e-mail. When I get an e-mail into my mail.com account, all links received are directed to some mail.com limbo first ("You're leaving mail.com, click here if you're not redirected in five seconds" or something) and then reach their actual destination. I know it sounds murky, but again, there's no shitware involved. Word!

oh ha ha ha-- okay!

better to be paranoid... yeah i checked the demand progress site. "looks legit" (including domain registration).

the issue that raised my eyebrows first was the claim that congress was going to write legislation to overrule the fcc-- they won't pass it and it's not going to happen -- here's the news from 2 days ago:

“We’re not going to get a signed bill that doesn’t have Democrats’ support,” said Senator John Thune, Republican of South Dakota and chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee. “This is an issue that needs to have bipartisan support.”

etc:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/25/te...-fcc-vote.html
Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Of course the Republicans are scaring everyone into saying Obama is controlling the internet, and hates democracy. So many people don't even know what net neutrality is, and what it means, so it's easy to distract and manipulate the average person.

from what i've read it was john oliver who made it easy to understand and rallied the counteroffensive

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society...doing?cmpid=TW

i haven't seen the segment but you can find it on youtube

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.26.2015 08:17 PM

Agreed... cuz ive always had to fix all of my relatives computer virus problems im always paranoid like a kid smoking pot for the first time about EVERYTHING on the internet

The Soup Nazi 03.08.2015 04:25 PM

From Demand Progress again (this time I streamlined the links, mkay?). Hiring a plane, I dunno how effective it could be; more than anything, I'm posting this because I hate these corrupt Upton and Walden fuckos.

Quote:

The ink has barely dried on the FCC’s historic Net Neutrality decision. But Congressmen Fred Upton and Greg Walden are already pushing legislation to undo the whole thing.

Why would they do that? Just look at their top campaign contributors.

Comcast. Verizon. AT&T. Time Warner Cable.

Together these four telecom corporations gave Upton and Walden over $156,000 last year.[1] And boy are they getting their money’s worth.

That’s why we're putting up billboards calling them out in their districts. But Upton and Walden haven’t backed off yet.

So now we’re ramping it up, and our next idea is awesome: An airplane flying a huge banner over their offices. Will you donate $5 to help pay for it?

Yes, I'll chip in $5 for an airplane banner calling out the opponents of Net Neutrality.

Upton and Walden are chairmen of two of the most important committees in charge of Internet policy. So it’s not shocking that the big ISPs are stuffing money in their pockets.

What’s appalling is how blatantly obvious these guys have been about pushing the interests of their top campaign contributors.

With your help, we’ve called them out back in their home districts with billboards letting their constituents know who their really representing. But they’re not backing off yet, so it’s time to ramp it up.

An airplane banner will make our campaign impossible to ignore. But hiring a pilot isn’t cheap. Will you chip in $5?

Yes, I'll chip in $5.

Thanks.

-Demand Progress

Source:

1. Sponsors of Net Neutrality Bill Receive Thousands from Internet Service Providers, MapLight, February 13, 2015

One last thing: Demand Progress's small, dedicated staff relies on the generosity of members like you to support our work. Click here to make a donation to support our work. Thank you!

Paid for by Demand Progress (DemandProgress.org) and not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee. Contributions are not deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes.

!@#$%! 03.08.2015 04:33 PM

why don't they just find a volunteer pilot?

besides, i don't think you can circle over the capitol on a plane

sounds a bit harebrained-- but i like the idea of bringing people's attention on the matter.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 03.08.2015 05:07 PM

!@#$! this is the era of a combination of voter "meh" and unbridled corruption in government which negates the power of voting or politics to begin with. So either (a) people wouldn't really give a shit even if awareness is raised and (b) even if they did it wouldn't change shit, qhat is going to happen is going to happen.. as we've become more materialistically successful as a society and as individuals our political drive is negated to zero if not negative levels. I wish folks could change politics but the past twenty years has proven its not the 30s or the 60s any longer.. the only things i advocate for are social changes which don't require politics or government. I have even given up on education reform and simply try to do rhe best i can in my own classroom lamenting that the system wins every game, everytime. Its the MJ of corruption they win every game every time

The Soup Nazi 03.08.2015 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i don't think you can circle over the capitol on a plane

I think the plan is to fly the plane over these assclowns' home districts. :)

!@#$%! 03.08.2015 05:56 PM

Quote:

I think the plan is to fly the plane over these assclowns' home districts. :)

oh yeah lolol i didn't make it past the first line ha ha-- sorry!!

anyway thanks for publicizing this.

The Soup Nazi 03.11.2015 06:50 PM

The Soup Nazi 03.11.2015 06:51 PM

!@#$%! 03.11.2015 09:04 PM

Quote:

too painfully true. of course nothing new-- here's more:

Decades-old documents have surfaced showing that the powerful U.S. sugar industry dramatically influenced the government's medical research on dental care—and ultimately what officials recommended for American diets.

Despite a widespread understanding that sugar played a key role in tooth decay, sugar industry leaders advocated for policies that did not recommend people eat less sugar, according to an archive of industry letters dating back to the 1950s preserved by the University of Illinois and analyzed by a team of researchers at the University of California in San Francisco. And the government listened, according to a new report.

the whole story here:

http://wapo.st/1FbaWQC

The Soup Nazi 03.12.2015 12:10 PM

I guess I should start a Demand Progress thread. :) Anyway:

Quote:

Key parts of the Patriot Act expire soon: This is our opportuninity to finally end ongoing, illegal, mass surveillance of Americans.

Will you click here to demand that Congress put an end to mass spying?

The government has used the Patriot Act to claim enormous new powers to spy on all of us -- and has lied about it with impunity.
It's gone too far, but this June, key provisions of the Patriot Act are set to expire – including one that the NSA claims lets it collect private data about all of our phone calls.

It's illegal and ineffective, and it must STOP.

Click here to tell Congress that we can't allow unconstitutional mass surveillance of Americans to continue.

This spying is so offensive that the original sponsor of the Patriot Act, Representative Jim Sensenbrenner, is urging colleagues to sign a letter declaring that they will vote against reauthorization if the law is not amended to ban mass surveillance.

More signatures on the letter mean more power for us and our allies as the Patriot Act approaches its sunset.

Will you click here to urge your lawmakers to sign it the letter? It'll just take a second, and will strengthen our position as we approach the Patriot Act expiration.

We've come close to reining in the NSA several times -- with your help, we can win this one.

-Demand Progress

The Soup Nazi 03.19.2015 03:53 PM

From DP:

Quote:

First denial, then anger...

We've seen denial over the last few weeks, and we've seen anger.

The Cable Lobby just lost big, and now they're entering the third stage of their grieving process:

They're trying to bargain their way out of Net Neutrality rules by calling in every chit they've got in Congress -- and that list is $8 million dollars long.

That's right: The four biggest telecom giants alone donated more than $8 million to politicians last cycle.

So key committees -- led by some of the biggest recipients of that Cable Lobby cash -- are holding hearings THIS WEEK, and gearing up to try to undermine the new Net Neutrality rules.

Will you call targeted committee members to tell them they need to back off? It'll just take a minute and it'll help save the Internet. Please click here.

The FCC's new Net Neutrality rules prevent blocking, throttling, and paid prioritization.

That means no slow lanes for your favorite content; no shakedowns of your favorite websites.

Nobody thought this would happen, but it did for one basic reason: All of the extraordinary work you guys did to make it impossible for the FCC to ignore us.

But our opponents like Comcast and AT&T didn't think we'd be here either. They're furious that their investments in hordes of lobbyists and members of Congress might have gone south, that we might be more powerful than the vaunted telecom political machine.

Let's confirm their suspicions and protect the rules we fought so hard to win:

Will you call key committee members to tell them they need to back off? It'll just take a minute and it'll help save the Internet. Please click here.

And if you can't call:

Would you click here and chip in $10 to help keep us working? We rely on members like you to fund our activism.

Thanks.

-Demand Progress

The Soup Nazi 03.25.2015 06:33 PM

Net Neutrality SUED:

Quote:

The telecommunications industry sued the FCC to kill Net Neutrality.1

Just weeks ago, the FCC issued a historic decision preserving Net Neutrality. But two new lawsuits filed by the big cable and Internet Service Providers are trying to overturn the whole thing.

With the amount of money corporations like Verizon and AT&T can spend on lawyers, this is going to be a huge fight.
And to win, we need to make sure the public is making our voices heard in support of the FCC.

Will you chip in $5 to help fight back against this lawsuit and save Net Neutrality?

Yes, I'll chip in $5 to help save Net Neutrality.

They've given millions to politicians. They've spent millions more on lobbyists. And now they've hired an army of lawyers to accomplish what they haven't been able to do so far: kill Net Neutrality.

Why are they fighting this so hard? Because they want to give preferential treatment to big corporations and dump the rest of us into an Internet slow lane—all so they can jack up their already sky-high profits.

The scary thing is that they've had success blocking Net Neutrality in the courts before. Previous efforts by the FCC to protect Net Neutrality have been blocked by the cable industry's lawyers.

So it's not enough to let government lawyers fight this on their own. We need to make sure the public is speaking out too.

We've come too far to let Net Neutrality get killed by an army of corporate lawyers. Will you chip in $5 to help fight back?

Yes, I'll chip in $5 to help save Net Neutrality.

Thanks.

--Demand Progress

Source:
1. Internet Providers Sue to Kill Net Neutrality, National Journal, March 23, 2015

PAID FOR BY DEMAND PROGRESS (DemandProgress.org) and not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee. Contributions are not deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes.