Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hits Are For Squares – Available Again – August 23 (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=54634)

Moshe 07.13.2011 02:39 PM

Hits Are For Squares – Available Again – August 23

http://70.32.78.35/sonicnews/?p=2122

In conjunction with the release of 1991 The Year Punk Broke on DVD is Sonic Youth’s Hits Are For Squares, previously available only through limited outlets. Hits Are For Squares will be released on CD on August 23, 2011 – a collection of songs from Sonic Youth’s career selected by a diverse group of artists, actors, directors and musicians whose own progressive and unconventional style is akin to the freestyle expression of Sonic Youth’s music. The artisans handpicked by Sonic Youth include Catherine Keener, Beck, Mike D, Radiohead, Portia De Rossi, Diablo Cody, Allison Anders, Dave Eggers and Mike Watt, Eddie Vedder, Michelle Williams, Flea, Gus Van Sant, David Cross, Chloe Sevigny, and The Flaming Lips. Also included is the track “Slow Revolution” written and recorded for the original release.

nicfit 07.13.2011 05:31 PM

LOL, will get this.

musicplatypus 07.13.2011 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirttail
Okay, why?

Revenue . . . ?

To tell you the truth, I was quite underwhelmed that it was released as a RSD item. Then, Whore's Moaning? Next . . . is? Kill Yr. Idols re-release?

Of course I fall for it every time as I have both items stated. And -- will probably buy the CD as well . . . I enjoy supporting 'em.

nicfit 07.14.2011 02:26 AM

Still better than selling the Battery Park "exclusive" LP, right ;)?

p.s. Actually, I think it's cool to make things "available" to a wider audience/ to people who could not afford to buy the releases at the time they came out, but with the "hits" rsd release (not the forthcoming cd) and the Battery Park LP (which, pardon my rudeness, seem to be a sort of "leftovers stock", judging by the description on the store page, of something that seemed to be "exclusive" for the preorders) I think things went a bit overboard...Still, there's obviously no "need" to buy everything, but completists or collectors could be a bit pissed off for those "marketing strategies"...

atsonicpark 07.14.2011 09:49 AM

Haha! I'm so glad this is back in print. Someone should bump the ridiculous old SYG backlash threads!*

*note: This was all said while drinking a Tall Mint Tea Frappucino with Raspberry Drizzle. Hyper-kewl, super-smooth, crash car Marilyn Mon Moore in trashbag hyper waste encased chased him far into star James Dean just turned on hyper power chord and grunge pedal enfused, fuseolage Ballard atrocity exhibit the news on sonic super "afffection and torpedos" cream cruise.

skipvacuum 08.22.2011 04:56 PM

i was at a local store and saw this a few minutes ago...next thing i know...i bought it...at least it was cheap.....and now it's in a jewel case...but why did i buy it?...i can't figure it out...if you know...lemme know

nicfit 08.22.2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skipvacuum
i was at a local store and saw this a few minutes ago...next thing i know...i bought it...at least it was cheap.....and now it's in a jewel case...but why did i buy it?...i can't figure it out...if you know...lemme know

Coz you wanted to send it to me as a present :o.

skipvacuum 08.22.2011 05:06 PM

that is a good one...i'd rather give you something cooler as a gift though

tasteinmen 10.04.2011 03:59 PM

I bought this today, I'm so glad I finally have it! I really wanted it when it first came out in Starbucks but it wasn't available in England... now I finally have it I can listen to it non-stop! I've noticed Tom Violence & Expressway sounds so but clearer than on the EVOL CD... has it been remastered for the album? EVOL sounds quite muddy in general.

Pelle 10.04.2011 04:11 PM

I wanna get this one..but the albumcover is so horrible that I feel like it's better I get some other records that are more important first for some reason :p

_slavo_ 12.07.2011 04:37 AM

I bought that yesterday, so glad I can blast the more upbeat SY songs in my car on my way to work now. The day's instantly better.