Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   YOU might be the new bass player in Smashing Pumpkins (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=38853)

Dr. Eugene Felikson 03.10.2010 12:19 PM

YOU might be the new bass player in Smashing Pumpkins

Quote:

After finding a new drummer in a similar fashion last year, Billy Corgan is once again holding auditions for his latest version of the Smashing Pumpkins.
Here is the deal: Bassist and keyboardist Ginger Pooley, who toured with the band following their release of the band's polarizing (yet, still pretty underrated) comeback album Zeitgeist, has left the Pumpkins.

Turns out, homegirl had a kid and is now switching her attention to her family. This lead to an amicable split between her and the group, but now Corgan must find Pooley's replacement.

So he is looking in your general direction: "'We were lucky enough to find [the band's current] drummer Mike Byrne through an open audition process,” Corgan said in a statement yesterday. “So why not open the doors again to anyone who might be interested for the bass or keyboard position. As you can see from our past and present, age, race, or a person's background is not an issue. Everyone is truly welcome to audition.”

So, to summarize, if you are interested in playing "Today" with the guy who wrote the song (as opposed to an avatar of him on Guitar Hero) here's what you should do: Send some background info (age, resume, video clips of you performing) to pumpkinsbass@gmail.com or pumpkinskeys@gmail.com. You must include a video clip. The final date for submission is March 31st.

Good luck. And, hey, if this doesn't work out, well, there's always DragonForce.

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...ogid=530701796

tesla69 03.10.2010 12:23 PM

what a horrible gig that must be - you can hear the handlers "now, Billy doesn't like it when you look directly at him, when you speak to him you must look at your feet, and never ever touch him, not even a pat on the shoulder, he really hates that"

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 03.10.2010 12:36 PM

and what if I refuse? I already am slated to play in the Hole reunion and after that I hear they are resurrecting Bush, Oasis, and this mediocre bands of the 90s festival is being headlines by The Crash Test Dummies featuring the guitarist from Hootie and the Blowfish

automatic bzooty 03.10.2010 01:46 PM

uhhhh sorry, billy, i'm going to an audition to play tambourine in pulp

_slavo_ 03.10.2010 04:28 PM

i am going to audition to play pulp in tambourine

_slavo_ 03.10.2010 04:54 PM

i am going to mess with ten bleeding puppies.

chrome noise tape 03.10.2010 06:01 PM

can i play "today" in slap style with a big fuzz ? can i ?

the ikara cult 03.10.2010 06:27 PM

Arfdermaaaar

phoenix 03.10.2010 07:40 PM

let it go.

let it go.

atsonicpark 03.10.2010 09:28 PM

This guy just won't fucking quit!

loubarret 03.11.2010 12:18 PM

Sucide seems a option at times.

Homicide seems closer here.

SYRFox 03.11.2010 01:12 PM

this sounds almost as exciting as working in a vegetarian McDonalds.

scott v 03.11.2010 01:41 PM

whats next a TV show called "Billy's Band Tryouts"? since American Idol is proabbly on its way out this is something FOX can cash in on...

loubarret 03.11.2010 01:46 PM

With guest host Staind!

evollove 03.11.2010 02:14 PM

Here's what I'm thinking:

Let's say they offer me an insultingly stingy contract...say $500 a show. After a tour, even a small one, my bank account would be fatter than it's ever been. And let's not forget all the accoutrements that come with being a bassist in a band of SP's rank: the free drugs, the sexy slutty groupies, the chance to meet musicians whom I actually respect. Further, when Ibold splits with SY, guess who'll drop them a line?

Sorry, but I'll gladly sell out for, like, 6 months if all that will be my reward. And I don't even LIKE The Pumps. Come to think of it, I don't really play bass either.

dazedcola 03.12.2010 11:57 AM

If I ever got into the band I'd stage a coup with the other bandmembers and get Billy kicked out. With that done I'll play original, better music and restore the legacy of the band's name.