Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Reccomend me some Dubstep (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=20068)

atsonicpark 02.27.2010 01:24 AM

ni'k 02.27.2010 07:21 AM

a good start http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/1...nd?tab=summary

all the kode 9 stuff, burial, goth trad, king midas sound etc.

ni'k 02.27.2010 07:38 AM

i am interested in hearing more wonky but its been hard to find so far. can anyone help?

ni'k 02.27.2010 07:39 AM

to be honest i need it wonky and weird cos the - i don't know - "straighter" the beats are the more i'm instantly uninterested.

rec me so i can go have a wonk.

jimbrim 02.27.2010 10:46 AM

ni'k - i'm sure you'll enjoy this if you want to hear something a bit more wonky.

loubarret 02.27.2010 12:11 PM

Hyperdub is the shit

SYRFox 02.27.2010 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ni'k
i am interested in hearing more wonky but its been hard to find so far. can anyone help?

Wonky stuff you should hear (but have perhaps already heard):

DORIAN CONCEPT (this is WHAT you need to hear if you have not already. Best electronic album of 2009 imo)
Nosaj Thing
Hudson Mohawke
Floating Points
Rustie (though he's somewhere between wonky, dubstep, grime)
Harmonic 313
1000 Names
Mono/Poly
Lukid
The Clonious (not really wonky but quite)
Mount Kimbie (not really sure where they belong though...)
I heard Débruit was killer but haven't checked him yet

That Mary Anne Hobbs comp from last year is a killer. Lots of neat neat tracks.
Perhaps you've already heard them all, in which case you should ignore this message

SYRFox 02.27.2010 02:41 PM

Also be sure to check some skweee. Scandinavian movement that's not too far from wonky. Check out Mesak for instance, or the Museum of Future Sound comps for that matter

Glice 02.27.2010 03:34 PM

Why not do a mix, Herr Fox? I for one would listen WITH MY EARS.

SYRFox 02.27.2010 05:36 PM

I'll try and put something together then. I'm gonna have to struggle not to put the whole Dorian Concept and Hudson Mohawke albums on that mix though!

I've been listening to that skweee Museum of Future Sound vol1 comp again tonight and it's really awesome. A few fillers but most of these tracks are truly incredible.

Glice 02.27.2010 05:55 PM

I've got a good day's worth of mixes I got from dubstepforum.com and rinse.fm and to be honest, I can't say any of them are bad. I suppose that's the dub connection. I don't listen to much dub, but when I do, it's nearly always enjoyable.

wellcharge 02.28.2010 10:20 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEYxgAb351U

HaydenAsche 02.28.2010 03:45 PM

FUCK! You asked the right motherfucker.
Ascision
EProm
Eskmo
Prefuse 73
BassNectar
Bobtrotter
Fuck, I don't know. Dubstep is everywhere dude. Just start listening and it will take over your life.

HaydenAsche 02.28.2010 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ni'k
to be honest i need it wonky and weird cos the - i don't know - "straighter" the beats are the more i'm instantly uninterested.

rec me so i can go have a wonk.

Bass Nectar, dude.

and Eskmo and Digitalchemy(noisy drony dub)

SYRFox 03.01.2010 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
I've got a good day's worth of mixes I got from dubstepforum.com and rinse.fm and to be honest, I can't say any of them are bad. I suppose that's the dub connection. I don't listen to much dub, but when I do, it's nearly always enjoyable.

thanks for that link!

by the way, maybe any of you knowledged dubsteppers will be able to help me... i've been looking for a track for several months now but can't seem to be able to find it. i had done a thread on there but it sunk. when i saw oddateee opening for dälek he played a little dj set at the beginning and he played a track which was really great. It was kinda long, and had a vocal line repeated in a kind of reggae voice several times throughout the track, which ended with "the sky is coming" or "zion is coming". The instrumentation was simply one note when the vocals where on, and then it went for pure slow repetitive dubstep, with really filthy distorded sounds. Anyone have a clue?

Glice 03.01.2010 12:56 PM

AAAAHHHHHHGHGHH... bollocks. I've heard EXACTLY the song you're on about, and I know I have it on a mix, but I've got so many mixes I've no idea where. If I come across it, I'll let you know.

Glice 03.01.2010 12:57 PM

Obviously, that's an incredibly liberal rendering of the word 'exactly'.

demonrail666 03.01.2010 01:10 PM

ignore glice, it's the classic rouse: pretend you know the song but can't remember the name of it. i use it all the time.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 03.01.2010 01:11 PM

y'all need to get out of dub step and dive into roots dub music with original artists like

Augustus Pablo
Scientist
Mad Professor
Mikey Dread
Ras Michael and Sons of Negus
Count Ossie
King Tubby
some Jacob Miller
Sly and Robbie
Joe Gibbs
Crucial Bunny
Aggrovators
Scratch Perry
Mighty Diamonds
the Upsetters

Glice 03.01.2010 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
ignore glice, it's the classic rouse: pretend you know the song but can't remember the name of it. i use it all the time.

I'll show you. I'll show you HARD.

Also: I'd imagine that most people who spent any time smoking green in their early 20s is aware of that list of dub. Dubstep is new, and exciting; dub is good, in small doses (without green. Or is that just me?)