Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Duran Duran (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=6122)

porkmarras 09.15.2006 04:53 PM

Duran Duran

Or basically die a slow and painful death.

!@#$%! 09.15.2006 06:35 PM

their greatest merit was featuring nearly naked supermodels in their music videos. very watchable stuff.

Cantankerous 09.15.2006 06:45 PM

i smell like a soooouunnddduugh
HUAH
i'm lost and i'm faaahhaaawwndugh
and i'm ahungry like the woooooollffffff

i'm sorry. hole covered it.

porkmarras 09.15.2006 06:47 PM

I have The Fall on and they say:'HitThe North'! So i will.

!@#$%! 09.15.2006 06:52 PM

do, do!

it's friday 5:45 pm and I'M GETTING THE FUCK OUT OF HERE!

yes.

Cantankerous 09.15.2006 06:54 PM

doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo dooooo dooooooooooo

GeneticKiss 09.15.2006 08:03 PM

I don't like Duran Duran, but I have to say I actually kinda like "Girls On Film"...even before I saw the video, which features a woman (might've been more than one) in a thong bathing suit.

Whenever I hear "Hungry Like The Wolf" or "Rio", I can't help but smile-though not for any reasons the band would like.

Cantankerous 09.15.2006 08:06 PM

herrr name is rio and something something something

GeneticKiss 09.15.2006 08:07 PM

Tank Girl, you just made me smile...

atari 2600 09.15.2006 08:07 PM

"Girls on Film" is often their encore or set closer.

I still like their first three albums.

Пятхъдесят Шест 09.15.2006 08:07 PM

My aunt gave me a stack of old records, and there a couple Duran Duran ones.

This is all I have to contribute to this thread. This is all.

atari 2600 09.15.2006 08:39 PM

The different dance remix albums for the early hits are some fairly funkified fare.

kingcoffee 09.15.2006 10:02 PM

Danny Elfman has proved himself to be a very talented composer, but his days with Duran Duran were just pitiful. I'm really surprised he has made a name for himself after that.

atari 2600 09.15.2006 10:03 PM

I see Pauly & Hip are leaving me hanging out on a limb hehe. They must be busy.

HaydenAsche 09.16.2006 12:05 AM

Duran Duran = No No

Bertrand 09.16.2006 12:53 PM

Their website was (may still be) the ugliest I ever saw. Their haircuts looked expensive and ludicrous. Simon Le Bon is as fat as William Shatner...
Still...
The first album is still very enjoyable.
I've been trying to find it out in CD these past few months (partly cuz I'd like to be back to my younger days when I ignored so many things in life). I recently got rid of every cassette (what's the English for it?) I had to save only three - Happy Mondays, Suzanne Vega & DD's DD. But haven't found it at all.
Tel Aviv was the most surprising track on it, that made me like instrumentals in pop music. It's a great one. Planet Earth, Girls on Film are good tunes. Not sure about the lyrics, but that ain't a problem since English ain't my mother language. It's easy not to try to understand (& that's partly why I don't dig French artists - I can't avoid their lyrics).

When on Italian TV, doing Wild Boys or something from that period, when pretending to play that particular song, SLB lost his shoe and started laughing. To get back to it, he handled too roughly the mike which flew past him.
I loved that. Not quite as classy as Elvis laughing out loud on Are You Lonesome Tonight, but the memory of it always brings a smile on my face.

Anobody ashamed of a former fondness for the first album can mail me : they can get rid of this first album, find sleep again, and make me happy.
But keep your Ragged Tiger, it won't be appreciated.

DemonBox 09.16.2006 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
Duran Duran = No No

Word.

GeneticKiss 09.16.2006 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingcoffee
Danny Elfman has proved himself to be a very talented composer, but his days with Duran Duran were just pitiful. I'm really surprised he has made a name for himself after that.

Danny Elfman was in Duran Duran?!

I knew he was in Oingo Bingo ("Weird Science" is probably how he made the jump from pop to soundtracks), but he was in Duran Duran, too?

atari 2600 09.16.2006 04:27 PM

I wasn't aware he had produced anything for them either. I think they may be confused from the Donnie Darko soundtrack on which both Oingo Boingo & Duran Duran appear. Although "Notorious" is an okay tune, the album marks the begin of their decline.

Tokolosh 09.16.2006 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atari 2600
Although "Notorious" is an okay tune, the album marks the begin of their decline.

And that's putting it lightly.
I think it's a terrible album.