Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Sarah Kane (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9737)

racehorse 01.10.2007 07:31 PM

Sarah Kane

Is anyone familiar with her work?

Toilet & Bowels 01.10.2007 07:38 PM

a friend gave me a book of her plays for christmas, i'm looking forward to reading it.

the ikara cult 01.10.2007 09:19 PM

Theyre doing "Blasted" at a theatre in Soho soon or now i think. My freind was telling me about it and it sounded very interesting. It sounded like it was the theatrical equivolant of Swans.

Glice 01.11.2007 01:53 PM

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES [deep breath] YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES [pause] YES YES YES YES YES YES YES [exhausted] YES.

I've seen a rendition of 4.48, and Phaedra's Love and Crave. All of which were, to greater or lesser degrees, unfathomably brilliant. I absolutely adore this woman's writing to an absurd degree. She's one of the very small number of people I've read more than 10 times, and I still think 4.48 is the most brilliantly disturbed writing imaginable. I fantasise about writing books about her. YES. EVERYONE READ HER NOW.

Kane makes Swans seem like Happy Hardcore. Seriously.

James Blonde 01.11.2007 02:01 PM

James Blonde wonders if she had anything left to say after 4:48.

racehorse 01.11.2007 02:04 PM

is that some sort of sick joke?

racehorse 01.11.2007 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES [deep breath] YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES [pause] YES YES YES YES YES YES YES [exhausted] YES.

I've seen a rendition of 4.48, and Phaedra's Love and Crave. All of which were, to greater or lesser degrees, unfathomably brilliant. I absolutely adore this woman's writing to an absurd degree. She's one of the very small number of people I've read more than 10 times, and I still think 4.48 is the most brilliantly disturbed writing imaginable. I fantasise about writing books about her. YES. EVERYONE READ HER NOW.

Kane makes Swans seem like Happy Hardcore. Seriously.

yes, 4.48 is an amazing read. we were getting excited at rehearsal last night, brainstorming ideas on different ways of staging it.
it's all very exciting, actually. i have no idea of how to play the character though. in the production you saw, how did the lead girl perform the long chain of thought passages? because i'm not sure whether to go for subtle subdued sort of "deadpan" delivery, or to go down the loud, painful and angst ridden route.........

James Blonde 01.11.2007 02:08 PM

James Blonde says no, not joke. If she would be still alive, would she still wrote? Or the way she was writing, that was going to be dead-end?

racehorse 01.11.2007 02:12 PM

ah, well i believe it was her intention for the play to be performed posthumously, perhaps as a sort of "swan song".

James Blonde 01.11.2007 02:14 PM

James Blonde finds that long monologue at 4.48 beautiful. He once saw one production of Cleansed but that was way weaker than the script.

Glice 01.11.2007 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racehorse
ah, well i believe it was her intention for the play to be performed posthumously, perhaps as a sort of "swan song".

If you could really use someone's opinion, I'm quite happy to give it, but I'll send you a PM. My thoughts are probably too long and boring for a message board.

racehorse 01.11.2007 02:17 PM

oh, that would be great - thanks alot, most appreciated.

James Blonde 01.11.2007 02:17 PM

It's interesting topic, James Blonde would love to read your thoughts.

terminal pharmacy 01.12.2007 06:46 AM

a good friend of mine was in a production of 4:48 psychosis which was excellent. sarah kane is one depressing playwright but there is alot of beauty in her plays.

this was staged beautifully in the oldest theatre on the australian mainland and a large square of the floor about 6m x 6m was filled with dirt and there was a slow sprinkling or rain through out the show and the whole cast ended up muddy every night, it was intense and wonderful.

porkmarras 01.12.2007 07:27 AM

"Acts of violence simply happen in life, they don't have a dramatic build-up and they are horrible. That is how it is in the play".

She was talking about the criticism that her play 'Blasted' got when it came out.I've ordered 'The Complete Plays' today.

Thanks for all the info as she was on my list of writers to explore.

porkmarras 01.12.2007 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefeli
smart thing you did.

final text is skin, which was written for television.
just occured me that maybe youtube has it?

I'm lucky to get it with a 25% discount because of where i work.There is a fantastic bookshop in the theatre and if they don't have what you're looking for,they will order it for you.

porkmarras 01.12.2007 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefeli
smart thing you did.

final text is skin, which was written for television.
maybe youtube has it?

1997 Skin

A ten minute television script written by Kane. A skinhead, Billy, comes in contact with a black girl. One of them is a victim. Written in 1995. Wanna get yourself sorted, Billyboy I do hope you are not turning into a vegetarian You never touched a black woman before? / Only with a baseball bat Nothing of you / You bruise easy
First broadcast on 17 June 1997 for British Channel 4. Ewan Bremner plays Billy and Marcia Rose plays the black girl Marcia. The director was Vincent O´Connell.

http://www.iainfisher.com/kane/eng/kanepl.html

I've seen that and it was really good and very grim.

Glice 09.02.2007 06:17 PM

Resurrecting this thread because I was wondering whether Mr R. Horse has done the play thing yet, and how it went. Also, wondering if Mr P. 'racial difficulties' Marras read/ enjoyed the Kane woman yet.

sarramkrop 09.03.2007 08:49 AM

I have indeed, and for a brief period I even became slightly obsessed with her. What really fascinates me about her work is how she manages to brilliantly portray the darkest recesses of the human psyche, but at the same time the sheer amount terror that her characters go through holds some vague hope for redemption. Something that I'd like to ask to all of you chaps posting on this thread: do you think that her personal problems were really influencing her work? Somehow I think that there is not much of a connection between her and what she wrote about.

sarramkrop 09.03.2007 09:39 AM

If any boardies want them, I can get tickets to watch this Thursday's matinee performance of Citizenship, which is a play by Mark Ravenhill, who was a close friend of Sarah Kane. I've seen it before and couldn't go on Thursday due to work, anyway. If you are interested, pm me.