Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Do you think Jimi Hendrix is the best guitarist ever? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13657)

atsonicpark 06.06.2007 04:23 PM

the guy from half japanese is a better guitar player than hendrix.

atari 2600 06.06.2007 04:24 PM

The Supreme Court ruling on the definition of obscenity is that you know it when you see it.

On the flip side, the same can be said for good art.

As for a good guitar part, one knows it when they hear it. I'm not going to write an essay for you, swa(y), sorry. You idle fuckers have robbed me of too much time already today with all this utter nonsense.

sarramkrop 06.06.2007 04:25 PM

I'll help you out with the mortgage if atari gives us a convincing description of a good guitarist. Either that or I'll babysit your future kids on weekends.

Edit - sway

demonrail666 06.06.2007 04:27 PM

A great guitarist is whoever you think is great. An influential guitarist is an entirely other matter. I saw a student's painting yesterday and with my hand on my heart it was a great piece. If that painting is never shown to the public or if that student never paints another picture then the likelihood of them influencing anybody is practically nil. But that one painting will remain great.

sarramkrop 06.06.2007 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atari 2600
The Supreme Court ruling on the definition of obscenity is that you know it when you see it.

On the flip side, the same can be said for good art.

As for a good guitar part, one knows it when they hear it. I'm not going to write an essay for you, swa(y), sorry. You idle fuckers have robbed me of too much time already today with all this utter nonsense.

atari 2600 06.06.2007 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
and betting me a thousand dollars just goes to make me even more curious. you obviously have a set of rules in yr mind that qualify one as a good gutarist...what are they man?

a thousand dollars...haha...pretty serious.

ill give ya my fucking car if ya can PROVE that such rules defining talent actually exist.

and i can say that safely, i cant even afford to give away my car, but fuck man, i know ya cant prove shit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aesthetics

When can I pick-up the car?

luxinterior 06.06.2007 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atari 2600
You idle fuckers have robbed me of too much time already today with all this utter nonsense.

Do you have no self control? You can stop, you know.

atari 2600 06.06.2007 04:31 PM

Quote:
and betting me a thousand dollars just goes to make me even more curious. you obviously have a set of rules in yr mind that qualify one as a good gutarist...what are they man?

a thousand dollars...haha...pretty serious.

ill give ya my fucking car if ya can PROVE that such rules defining talent actually exist.

and i can say that safely, i cant even afford to give away my car, but fuck man, i know ya cant prove shit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aesthetics

When can I pick-up the car?

gmku 06.06.2007 04:34 PM

Calling any musician the "best of" always kind of annoys me. I think such comparisons are odious, so, no, would be my answer, too. Great, sure. Best? Don't know or care about that.

demonrail666 06.06.2007 04:38 PM

So, just to clarify, is Jimi Hendrix the best guitarist ever, or not?

atari 2600 06.06.2007 04:40 PM

Quote:

hahahaha...you weak fucking peice of shit...you need wikipedia to explain shit for ya...i didnt ask wiki...i asked you.

i find stupid personal opinoins way more interesting than using that of others.

You really are a moron. I don't have to explain anything. There's a whole branch of philosophy called aesthetics that deals with nebulous queries like "what is good art?"

You've just clearly demonstrated that you have no knowledge of aesthetics. My writing comes from a place of having considerable knowledge of aesthetics.

What's the matter? Pissing on Hendrix isn't getting your rocks off enough? You gotta take a shit on philosophy as well now?

You're also a welcher. You owe me one automobile.

sarramkrop 06.06.2007 04:44 PM

You don't call cars automobiles, do you? haha!

Rob Instigator 06.06.2007 04:46 PM

jimi hendrix is god

if he were alive, you could stand him up next to any modern guitarist and he would shred in THEIR style better than them, then shred in his style, then shred in a style you nor I have ever seen before, and do it all with efforless grace and aplomb.

jimi hendrix is the greatest electric guitarist ever (of course this is just one man's opinion, as are all statements about who is better best or great)

shiit, Prince is a better guitarist than most of the ones mentioned (barring hendrix of course)

demonrail666 06.06.2007 04:47 PM

It wouldn't stand up in court anyway. By bringing in the issue of aesthetics Atari acknowledges that no absolute proof yet exists regarding what determines talent.

Case dismissed.

sarramkrop 06.06.2007 04:48 PM

Well, he's dead. RIP Jimi.

sarramkrop 06.06.2007 04:51 PM

I'm off for a shower. Bye Jimi, nice to meet you.

follow.blind 06.06.2007 04:54 PM

Half Japanese?
This explains a lot of what the guitar is really about...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcu2ONECf_8

Rob Instigator 06.06.2007 04:54 PM

talent is definable as an affinity to what you do.

dee dee ramone was NOT a talented guitarist.

most hardcore bands do not have and did not have "talented" guitarists.

what they all lacked in talent they mad eup for in passion and inventiveness and feel.

Jimi had them all, overflowing.

atari 2600 06.06.2007 05:01 PM

Quote:

and admit it...YOU cant explain anything.

im an asshole, and quickly become even more of one when i witness complete dumb-fuck assholes like yrself taking yr personal shit out on some of the sweetest souls out there. shit man, atleast admit you CANT DO SOMETHING!

toaster-tard.

More baseless attacks.

Look, stop hating the world.

atari 2600 06.06.2007 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
talent is definable as an affinity to what you do.

dee dee ramone was NOT a talented guitarist.

most hardcore bands do not have and did not have "talented" guitarists.

what they all lacked in talent they mad eup for in passion and inventiveness and feel.

Jimi had them all, overflowing.

Yes, and either these people are too stupid to realize this or they are just too pig-headed. One almost hopes, for their sake, that it's just pig-headedness and internet cack.

Jimi took it all to a new level. It's elementary.

And this is what I get here. A bunch of lame-brain nonsense from a collection of wackadoos.

luxinterior, a purveyor of thoroughly "safe" posts, suggested that I just stop. Well, she doesn't know what it's like to suffer baseless attack after baseless attack.