Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Crawlspace (the American band) (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=35149)

Toilet & Bowels 10.07.2009 09:36 AM

Crawlspace (the American band)

Not the Australian band.

Crawlspace (the American one with the dude from The Gizmos) have been on the periphery of my awareness for a number of years, I want to check them out but I hear there's a massive variety in the discography. I bought a CD-R that was a bit rubbish (Crawlspace Rears Its Lovely Head, Motherfuckers!) but want to try some other stuff, can anyone recommend anything please?

What are the odds this thread will sink like a stone?

Keeping It Simple 10.07.2009 12:27 PM

When people namedrop Nirvana, why don't they say "not the British band"?

Toilet & Bowels 10.07.2009 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
When people namedrop Nirvana, why don't they say "not the British band"?

do you really need an explanation for that?

Toilet & Bowels 10.07.2009 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefeli
hi!

get out of my thread greek!

Keeping It Simple 10.07.2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
do you really need an explanation for that?

Did you know the original Nirvana reformed in 1985 and are still going strong today?

Toilet & Bowels 10.07.2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

Did you know the original Nirvana reformed in 1985 and are still going strong today?

going so strong that you needed to prefix that information with a "did you know"

Keeping It Simple 10.07.2009 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
going so strong that you needed to prefix that information with a "did you know"

That's right.

notyourfiend 10.07.2009 01:59 PM

Quote:

the original nirvana is still i state of transcendent success which all of us have yet to obtain.

Glice 10.07.2009 02:19 PM

Hey, speak for you own samsara.

notyourfiend 10.07.2009 02:23 PM

if you had obtained a state of nirvana, would you really be a regular poster on this board?

don't answer that.

Glice 10.07.2009 02:28 PM

"Now that I'm enlightened, I'm just as miserable as ever"

I'd like to pretend I got that from the Shobo-genzo, but I'd be lying.

narlus 10.07.2009 03:12 PM

back on topic...i've got a few Crawlspace 7"s from back in the day (i think that i've got one on FE, and maybe one or two on SFTRI) but i haven't listened to them in quite some time.

i do know that Eddie Flowers runs his own cdr label now, Slippy Town.

Toilet & Bowels 10.07.2009 03:55 PM

are they worth checking out, or are they obscure for a reason?

DJ Rick 10.07.2009 06:12 PM

They are obscure for a reason, but that reason is not suckitude so much as it is that they are decidedly obscurist.

There is a lotta variation in moods and fidelity, composed-ness and free-ness...it makes it kinda daunting to get a good handle on what they're really all about.

What I value about them now that I'm damn near halfway to average life expectancy is this sorta unapologetic grizzled sarcasm. They're surely a band that's stewed in their own juices, and sometimes that gives off the right kinda flavor.

Perhaps the most recommendable thing is also one of the hardest to find, but that LP on Majora known as The Dark Folds of Infinity Grow Pink With Desire is probably their best. Their two songs on the underrated and mostly excellent Gimme the Keys compilation (which sounds pretty miraculous for 1988) are the songs I revisit the most often. Not sure what it eBays for, but if you ever see that looking lonely in a used bin for $10 or less, get it. The late 80s is considered such a voidspace for rock music collectors, so chances are good that there are few people looking for it.

Of the more recent and readily available things, I think that The Spirit of '76 CD from Gulcher is a pretty good introduction, but don't quote me on that because I only listened to it one time and haven't found it again due to the fact that Gulcher likes to release their CDs in a very slim envelope sleeve which is a mere millimeter thick. I must've jammed it between two other things.

Slippytown has a pretty fun blog.