Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café IV (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=110922)

Severian 06.16.2015 08:26 AM

I just read a kind of gut wrenching feature on pitchfork titled, "Kanye West is Going to Drop a Brick and it's Going to Hurt."

For once, I can't really say that I can really disagree much with the speciation and reasoning behind this idea, but it's truly a painful thought. A comment about how unlikely it seemed that Kanye would match or surpass artists like Drake, Kendrick and for some reason Chance the Rapper (who hasn't even truly released a record this year for fuck's sake) hit particularly hard.

... With each passing month, I feel more and more grim about how this "new album," if such a thing even exists anymore, is going to play out.

2 years now since Yeezus, and what do we have? Nothing, more or less.
The rough cuts of the first few tracks aren't holding me. I have started to ask myself if Kanye wouldn't be better off throwing in the towel now.

!@#$%! 06.16.2015 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
2 years now since Yeezus, and what do we have?

North West

Severian 06.16.2015 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
North West

Yeah, and man- that's just so exciting for me, as a music fan who doesn't give a fucking shit about the private lives of musicians.

I love Kanye West because of his cute celeb-baby and his TMZ exploits! Not because of the music he's made or anything. So sure, as long as he's having babies, I'm good man. I don't need no musics as long as Ye is projecting the appearance of happiness to reporters.

Ugh.

My fault for getting into him too late.

!@#$%! 06.16.2015 10:12 AM

there's also some nonsense about dinosaurs

which proves that the kardashians are reptilian

!@#$%! 06.16.2015 10:17 AM

and on more related news (how timely), finally some sense

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...2a4_story.html

lol the tacky nouveau riche

Severian 06.16.2015 09:28 PM

Quote:

and on more related news (how timely), finally some sense

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...2a4_story.html

lol the tacky nouveau riche

This is hardly a joke! What am I going to do with all of my... (Let's see...) .. Ah, my J. Crew Outlet button downs and... um... tee's with little, presumably "American" eagles stitched into the breast? Huh?

;)

!@#$%! 06.16.2015 09:30 PM

Quote:

This is hardly a joke! What am I going to do with all of my... (Let's see...) .. Ah, my J. Crew Outlet button downs and... um... tee's with little, presumably "American" eagles stitched into the breast? Huh?

;)

you're going to have to make it rain with rice now!

--

eta

poor jane birkin!

Severian 06.16.2015 09:39 PM

Seriously though if Yeezy bricks I'm gonna be a little bummed, but it won't make the rest of his music any less meaningful to me. I refuse to participate in the current capitalist market culture and the planned obsolescence it depends on. I'm ashamed of Pitchfork for writing this now that I think on it. In what world is this speculative nonsense News? Are we on Satellite 5 here?

And Wouldn't it be great for the market if Kanye stopped being such an omnipresence in the music industry? People are looking at the man like he's a goddamn IPHONE 6, thinking, "all I've gotta do is bring him down a notch and then Me and Interscope and Columbia can put, like, THREE Kanyes in his place! And then money!" or something...

Statistically he probably should have dropped about 3 semi-bricks by now, but he's never even come close. And that's just my opinion. Plenty of people hate him, and even many of his fans believe he's been bricking for years. My belief that his output is like that of the Beatles between 1965 and 1969 is certainly by no means objective.

Also, I'm really enjoying using the word "Brick" as a verb. It's so crude and stupid!

!@#$%! 06.16.2015 09:46 PM

i just hate everything he represents

Severian 06.16.2015 10:18 PM

Quote:

i just hate everything he represents

Whoah. Where did that come from?

Like almost all rappers (seriously, like, 99%) he has a definite materialistic side, but unlike so many others, his materialism has been examined and reflected upon from social, cultural and "individual" perspectives.

He has always been, at heart, a "conscious rapper." Only unlike so many of the others who fit that bill, he's a furiously creative and innovative musician technologically. Also, unlike most conscious rappers (unlike any, really.. Ever) he has had the good fortune of becoming the biggest musician of the century. So he's rather more in the limelight than, say, Jeru the Damaja.

I think it's pretty extreme to say you hate everything he stands for when, last time I checked, you didn't know much about him and knew less about his music.

Didn't I tell you to listen to "Who Will Survive in America" and "So Appalled" and "Diamonds from Sierra Leone" and "Runaway" and "Everything I Am"?

How'd all that go? What, specifically, do you dislike or find objectionable about his music? Which albums offend you most, and for what reason?

Severian 06.16.2015 10:22 PM

Sure nuff... There'll always be haters and that's the way it is.
Hater ni**as marry hater bi**hes and have hater kids...

!@#$%! 06.16.2015 10:27 PM

Quote:

Sure nuff... There'll always be haters and that's the way it is.
Hater ni**as marry hater bi**hes and have hater kids...

what?

Severian 06.16.2015 11:01 PM

Quote:

what?

What? I'm playfully calling you a hater, with the help of a relatively well known Kanye lyric.

Seriously though, why you drinkin haterade, Slambang? I'm genuinely curious about whether or not you ever looked into Kanye's music after we last talked about him.

Severian 06.16.2015 11:03 PM

Was that bad form? Did you think I was insulting you or your family? I apologize if that was how it sounded. Trust me I was just being dumb, but if I crossed a line in sorry.

!@#$%! 06.16.2015 11:06 PM

Quote:

What? I'm playfully calling you a hater, with the help of a relatively well known Kanye lyric.

Seriously though, why you drinkin haterade, Slambang? I'm genuinely curious about whether or not you ever looked into Kanye's music after we last talked about him.

i don't care what the fuck anyone calls me; i just wanted to make sure that if i'm the nigger then my wife is a bitch? or am i the kid, and so my father is the nigger and my mother the bitch? which one is it? just making sure i got the right picture of what you're saying.

Severian 06.16.2015 11:30 PM

Quote:

i don't care what the fuck anyone calls me; i just wanted to make sure that if i'm the nigger then my wife is a bitch? or am i the kid, and so my father is the nigger and my mother the bitch? which one is it? just making sure i got the right picture of what you're saying.

I see your point. That vagueness is exactly why I thought it would be safe. Too hard to find a way to get offended.

But to answer your question, the point is only that "haters gon' hate."

I don't really think you're a hater. I was just stupidly trying to be funny, forgetting that you wouldn't get the reference.

See? Dumb.

Severian 06.16.2015 11:32 PM

Well, I've done a wonderful job of preaching the gospel today haven't I?

!@#$%! 06.16.2015 11:42 PM

Quote:

I see your point. That vagueness is exactly why I thought it would be safe. Too hard to find a way to get offended.

But to answer your question, the point is only that "haters gon' hate."

I don't really think you're a hater. I was just stupidly trying to be funny, forgetting that you wouldn't get the reference.

See? Dumb.

yeah, i think you're often an unfortunate one when it comes to communication. it's like you talk to yourself in front of others rather than talk to others. not always, but... happens.

ANYWAY, here is an example of what i'm taling about. please explain to me why i'm suppose dto like this (this is not what you "told me" to hear, but it's kanye, so... please do the honors)

Yeezy season approachin'
Fuck whatever y'all been hearin'
Fuck what, fuck whatever y'all been wearin'
A monster about to come alive again
Soon as I pull up and park the Benz
We get this bitch shaking like Parkinsons
Take my number and lock it in
Indian hair, no moccasins
It's too many hoes in this house of sin
Real nigga back in the house again
Black Timbs all on your couch again
Black dick all in your spouse again
And I know she like chocolate men
She got more niggas off than Cochran, hah!

wonderful, eh?

then

Baby girl tryna get a nut
And her girl tryna give it up
Chopped 'em both down
Don't judge 'em, Joe Brown
One last announcement
No sports bra, let's keep it bouncin'
Everybody wanna live at the top of the mountain
Took her to the 'Bleau, she tried to sip the fountain
That when David Grutman kicked her out
But I got her back in and put my dick in her mouth

maybe it's a secret code i do not understand or maybe... it's just shit?

!@#$%! 06.16.2015 11:55 PM

ps- and a link:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ernest...b_3300051.html

h8kurdt 06.17.2015 12:43 PM

Quote:

I just read a kind of gut wrenching feature on pitchfork titled, "Kanye West is Going to Drop a Brick and it's Going to Hurt."

For once, I can't really say that I can really disagree much with the speciation and reasoning behind this idea, but it's truly a painful thought. A comment about how unlikely it seemed that Kanye would match or surpass artists like Drake, Kendrick and for some reason Chance the Rapper (who hasn't even truly released a record this year for fuck's sake) hit particularly hard.

... With each passing month, I feel more and more grim about how this "new album," if such a thing even exists anymore, is going to play out.

2 years now since Yeezus, and what do we have? Nothing, more or less.
The rough cuts of the first few tracks aren't holding me. I have started to ask myself if Kanye wouldn't be better off throwing in the towel now.

Yeah I've thought about this for the last few months. The singles he's released have all varied between naff (FourFiveSeconds) to pretty good (Wolves), but nothing has blown me away. Whilst it'll be gutting if it happens you've gotta remember that it happens to all bands out there.

He's done 6 albums and they've all been pretty incredible. I can't think of many bands/musicians who can do that level of consistency.

However, it's just over a week before I go see him at Glastonbury. Man, oh man I'm pretty psyched about it.