Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What gigs are you going to in the coming months? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=6735)

stu666 09.14.2012 08:42 AM

Just announced today that MV & EE are playing in a village hall near me (Campsea Ashe) on this monday 17 September!

 

rappard 09.14.2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666
Just announced today that MV & EE are playing in a village hall near me (Campsea Ashe) on this monday 17 September!

Awesome! Is this just a UK tour, or (fingers crossed) any Dutch dates as well?

stu666 09.14.2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rappard
Awesome! Is this just a UK tour, or (fingers crossed) any Dutch dates as well?


dude they played Amsterdam on wednesday :(

http://mvandee.blogspot.co.uk/

rappard 09.14.2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666
dude they played Amsterdam on wednesday

http://mvandee.blogspot.co.uk/

Right. I probably saw this but my alcohol-addled brain :D wiped it from memory - OCCII gigs are almost always a no-go because of shows running late coupled with iffy public transport to/from there.

hypertonic 09.14.2012 04:35 PM

Well I guess I will walk downtown to see Japanther tonight... Not my favorite, but better that a lot of locals...

 

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.14.2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypertonic
Well I guess I will walk downtown to see Japanther tonight... Not my favorite, but better that a lot of locals...

 



True, my great-grandparents were from Springfield, I can't imagine you have much better choices for live music there unless you trod the few hours drive into St Louis

hypertonic 09.14.2012 05:24 PM

Whaaaaaat? Thats crazy. Yeah... been going to the Lou and KC for shows for years... The music scene around here is depressing. It drives me bat-crazy. SYG is my fam/scene... I just stay home and experiment LOL. Although I may pack my new analog noise synth and crash a house party. Its a two day house party with bands inside and outside... We'll see.. ;)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.14.2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypertonic
Whaaaaaat? Thats crazy.



Yeah, y'all couldn't notice here, but I even have a bit of a strong drawl too!

Quote:

Yeah... been going to the Lou and KC for shows for years... The music scene around here is depressing. It drives me bat-crazy. SYG is my fam/scene... I just stay home and experiment LOL. Although I may pack my new analog noise synth and crash a house party. Its a two day house party with bands inside and outside... We'll see.. ;)


I'm sorry, I'm born and raised in los angeles, the absolute plethora of great live music is simply gluttonous. I must have seen 350-400 shows, and I've missed at least half of the ones I should have went too!

hypertonic 09.14.2012 05:37 PM

I kinda got into EDM in my 20's... so I've probably made the STL trip for parties 30-40 times or more and KC 20-30. Now we go up for rock/noise shows. I used to do laser light shows in the region, so I'm no stranger to all the regional shows. Its a good home base to raise a kid or something, but the music scene actually located here is.. meh.. The electronic stuff here was good for a few years when two of my KC buddies moved here and had a house music night. But now days I have to consciously try not to let the locals taint or discolor my appreciation for good music.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.14.2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypertonic
I kinda got into EDM in my 20's... so I've probably made the STL trip for parties 30-40 times or more and KC 20-30. Now we go up for rock/noise shows. I used to do laser light shows in the region, so I'm no stranger to all the regional shows. Its a good home base to raise a kid or something, but the music scene actually located here is.. meh.. The electronic stuff here was good for a few years when two of my KC buddies moved here and had a house music night. But now days I have to consciously try not to let the locals taint or discolor my appreciation for good music.


 

".. a real nice place to raise your kids up .."

stu666 09.27.2012 01:57 PM

October 18th - Islaja + Junzo Suzuki (Cafe OTO)

stu666 09.27.2012 03:00 PM

and probably Supersonic Festival!

Friday 19th Oct 1.30 -5.30 - The Art of Listening panel
9pm doors
C_C/ Devilman/ DJ Scotch Bonnet with Koyxen and Sensational/ DJ Die Soon/ Free School/ Hey Colossus/ JK Flesh/ Kakawaka/ Modified Toy Orchestra/ PCM

Saturday 20 doors 4pm
Bohren/ Carlton Melton/ Dooms Day Student/ Drunk In Hell/ Dylan Carlson/ Flower/Corsano Duo/ Hookworms/ Hype Williams/ Jarboe/ Kevin Drumm/ Lau Nau/ Merzbow/ Nicholas Bullen / Rangda / Sir Richard Bishop / Stian Westerhus/ The Bug with Daddy Freddy and Flow Dan / Thomas Ankersmits / Warm Digits / Zeni Geva

Sunday 21 doors 2pm
Body/Head Kim Gordon + Bill Nace/ Cliffard Torus/ Dope Body / Goat / Gnod /Grey Hairs / Islaja / Justice Yeldman / KK Null + Ore / Lash Frenzy / Lichens / MOONN / Mothertrucker / My Disco/Oxbow Orchestra/ Richard Dawson/ Ruins Alone / Six Organs Of Admittance / SoundKitchen/ SWLLS / Tim Hecker/ Tomutonttu / Ufomammut/Zoltan

EvdWee 10.04.2012 04:48 AM

rangda this monday!

rappard 10.04.2012 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvdWee
rangda this monday!

hope to see you there, family life permitting. otherwise see you at ufomammut!

rappard 10.04.2012 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666
and probably Supersonic Festival!

Friday 19th Oct 1.30 -5.30 - The Art of Listening panel
9pm doors
C_C/ Devilman/ DJ Scotch Bonnet with Koyxen and Sensational/ DJ Die Soon/ Free School/ Hey Colossus/ JK Flesh/ Kakawaka/ Modified Toy Orchestra/ PCM

Saturday 20 doors 4pm
Bohren/ Carlton Melton/ Dooms Day Student/ Drunk In Hell/ Dylan Carlson/ Flower/Corsano Duo/ Hookworms/ Hype Williams/ Jarboe/ Kevin Drumm/ Lau Nau/ Merzbow/ Nicholas Bullen / Rangda / Sir Richard Bishop / Stian Westerhus/ The Bug with Daddy Freddy and Flow Dan / Thomas Ankersmits / Warm Digits / Zeni Geva

Sunday 21 doors 2pm
Body/Head Kim Gordon + Bill Nace/ Cliffard Torus/ Dope Body / Goat / Gnod /Grey Hairs / Islaja / Justice Yeldman / KK Null + Ore / Lash Frenzy / Lichens / MOONN / Mothertrucker / My Disco/Oxbow Orchestra/ Richard Dawson/ Ruins Alone / Six Organs Of Admittance / SoundKitchen/ SWLLS / Tim Hecker/ Tomutonttu / Ufomammut/Zoltan

That line-up is completely nuts - it even puts the coming Shellac ATP to shame. Fingers crossed for lots of recordings!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 10.04.2012 03:17 PM

I didn't know any names at that show Stu is going to I youtubed EVERY band because usually I NEVER know any of the bands SYG folks post so I thought I'd chec em all out to find some new tunes..

the only thing I could even remotely tolerate was Zeni Geva and even that I thought sucked! The Oxbow Orchestra was sort of cool, sounds even like the kind of jam bands I play around with in town, but just like that, sounds like some small scale local band who hasn't cut their teeth enough to put out seriously moving art yet, but are stuck in the demo stage. JK Flesh sounds like some terrible FruityLoops mix.. Doomsday Student was ok in a kind thrashy Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention way. Gnod was cool, but I couldn't imagine listening to more than a few minutes of it at a time, and I can sit through just about any 37 minute Grateful Dead drums solo section ;) I think I could dig Grey Hairs if guy didn't remind too much of Adam Sandler if he were in the Descendents.. Mother Trucker was like some heavy shoegaze, I can dig it since instrumental stone rock is just about what I love to play in bands with, sort of like early Chevelle so I just might check out more of this, indeed it sounded about as stuck in 1999 as I do when I'm jamming heavy with my folks. Six Organs of Admittance I had heard of, and while it was tolerable, I really don't like Robert Plant (he practically ruins Jimmy Page and Zeppelin for me) so folks doing their best to imitate him really dissuade me quickly. In fact I think I feel EXACTLY the same way about Six Organs etc.. as I do about Zeppelin, perfect instrumental music, terrible singer. And honestly, I generally question the musical integrity of bands that are so brilliant musically, and yet don't realize their singer fucking sucks, makes me wonder, can't they notice, and if not, why the fuck not?

I guess I could dig Ranga but even that just sounded like me and lil homies fucking around in the jam space, not necessarily a more serious attempt and performing or making a deeply artistic album. There is a world of difference between just jamming around the house for fun, and the dedicated and draining craft of putting together a legitimate album or stage show. There was never an crescendo moments that just got me and said, "This is my new band to listen to" like for example, a particular track from the new Corin Tucker Band (before I was on the fence, after that track I got it, I'm hooked)


In others words thanks SYG for absolutely and completely and utterly wasting an hour of my time!

There goes my theory to agree with Kurt Cobain that every mid-decade there is a peak of a "few really good bands" because everything new sucks!

 


Corin Tucker Band at the Echo on Sunset October 9 :)

_slavo_ 10.04.2012 03:21 PM

Dead Can Dance

next Wednesday in Prague

i'm totally psyched

stu666 10.04.2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rappard
That line-up is completely nuts - it even puts the coming Shellac ATP to shame. Fingers crossed for lots of recordings!


I can't go now, I have to work that weekend and can't get out of it. I'm gutted. :(

I have just got back from seeing Pelt, Gate and Part Wild Horses Mane On Both Sides and will transfer these recordings soon... but I need to sleep now and get ready for Fushitsusha tomorrow night!

hipster_bebop_junkie 10.04.2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
Dead Can Dance

next Wednesday in Prague

i'm totally psyched

Awesome. Last time I saw them (in 2005) they were absolutely perfect. I'm delighted to know they'll be playing in Mexico City as part of their current tour. I still haven't gotten my ticket, though. Should try to buy it in the next few weeks. I've been putting money aside for other shows (I'm seeing Laurel Halo, Tim Hecker, and Sun Araw in the next two days)...

hirsute_biped 10.09.2012 11:31 AM

Goddamn! Are Dirty Three not one of the best bands in existence?! My first time seeing them last night, last show of their US tour, wild and woolly, ragged and right, tender and brutal, ancient and post-apocalyptic, absolutely perfect. Warren is hilarious. My wife hasn't smoked in four years, but had to bum a cigarette afterwards, such is their power. Upload coming soon...

_slavo_ 10.10.2012 02:09 AM

I can try and sneak a recording device in.

EvdWee 10.10.2012 05:08 AM

next week, all in the same venue:

wed: Bettie Serveert
thu: Wolvon + Those Foreign Kids
fri: Ufomammut
sat: Jean Louis (although I will skip this one)
sun: Moon Duo + Man Forever

tesla69 10.12.2012 12:59 PM

I just got an email Tom Carter is playing a collab gig as Sarin Smoke tomorrow, I think I need to go to that...its great Tom is back in action.

EVOLghost 10.26.2012 04:38 AM

Okkyung Lee and David Behrman Saturday.

EVOLghost 11.18.2012 05:00 AM

Thurston. SOlo set. Noise guitar. Wayyyy tooo ovfeerwhelming. I was expectin chelesea light mov ing shit. But.....wow.....I have on evideo....I should have 2...but I accidentally press the record button twice.....which nullified the recording....but Yeah. Chatted with Thurston efroe the show. He wasn't too much of a prick. He acted semi interested in theh drunken fanboy babble taht spewed out of my mouf.

me. When are yoiu goin' on?
T. After these guys.
me. Are you playing anythign off Demolished thoughts?
t. Nah., playing a slo improv set.
me. THANK GOD (proceed to givce Thurston the most uncomgortable hug)
t. yeah....



I am not ashamed to say that I was overly emotional throughout this wole set. a single tear did fall out of my eye. My weyes were watery throughout the show....WEYH OVERWHELMIGN


Thusrton'. yer a cock.

h8kurdt 11.18.2012 05:09 AM

Saw the Swans last night. Easily one of the most punishing and yet brilliant gigs I've ever been too.

EVOLghost 11.18.2012 02:32 PM

A video from last night's performance....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlbG...&feature=g-upl


I'm a terrible cameraman btw.

pad_023 11.22.2012 01:20 PM

Going to see Hype Williams on Saturday and Dirty Three on Wednesday. Both should be great.

EvdWee 11.23.2012 07:21 AM

tuesday & wednesday: Colin Stetson
thursday: Do may say think, Mono and Dirty Three
saturday: raven & chimes, zammuto, mac demarco and maybe beak>

stu666 12.04.2012 07:58 AM

Dinosaur Jr - Electric Ballroom - February 2013

stu666 12.05.2012 01:57 PM

Big Sexy Noise - The Lexington - December 28th

stu666 12.06.2012 01:30 PM

My Bloody Valentine - 12th March - London, Hammersmith Apollo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 12.07.2012 12:39 AM

I should have went to Ras Michael and the Sons of Negus at the Echoplex last night and I should also go to Barrington Levy next wednesday for free for me at the Dub Club, but really, I am on this self-loathing pity party protest against anything and everything but shows in particular. Ras Michael is a literal hero of mine, and by no coincidence has become a friend, and I've seen Barrington Levy several times already. I'm sort of like, "Meh," and then I was like, "Grrr."

Too many shows..

On the plus side last month Groundation, Michael Rose, and the Corin Tucker Band were all kick fucking ass!

hirsute_biped 12.07.2012 11:23 PM

I am making a last minute decision to go see James Blood Ulmer & Memphis Blood tonight, skipping the opener.

stu666 12.08.2012 01:54 AM

Thurston Moore and Michael Chapman in February

Deerhunter curated ATP in June

hirsute_biped 12.08.2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hirsute_biped
I am making a last minute decision to go see James Blood Ulmer & Memphis Blood tonight, skipping the opener.


Too late, no tix...

gambra 12.08.2012 03:57 PM

Stu are you going to Stars of The Lid in London on Monday? I have a friend flying over and I'm pretty jealous.. THough I'm getting to see Boris on Monday instead!

stu666 12.09.2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gambra
Stu are you going to Stars of The Lid in London on Monday? I have a friend flying over and I'm pretty jealous.. THough I'm getting to see Boris on Monday instead!


I'm not going see Stars Of The Lid and I missed Boris this time round, I've spent too much money lately...

stu666 12.09.2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
who gives a fuck


I've not heard of them before.

stu666 12.09.2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
You may have been spending too much money, but I do believe you've been enjoying it :p


Definitely!

I'm off to Cafe OTO again this saturday for the Hibernate Records - A Winter's Gift night.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content 2006 Sonic Youth