Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Chelsea Light Moving/Lee Ranaldo and the Dust/Body/Head... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=102509)

guston 11.19.2013 07:24 PM

Chelsea Light Moving/Lee Ranaldo and the Dust/Body/Head...

Opinions people. Of the three post-hiatus Sonic Youth groups which do you prefer...

Chris Lawrence 11.19.2013 08:37 PM

The Dust are the closest to my own strongest musical tastes, but I've found much to enjoy in all 3 groups. I haven't seen any of them live yet, but as far as recorded output, Last Night on Earth leaves the others in the dust (pun not actually intended)...

halgreen 11.19.2013 10:42 PM

It's hard to compare the three, since they are all so different. And I think all three are equally valuable. I enjoy all three, but I feel like Kim's work speaks to my interests at the moment. Now if we include Thurston and John Moloney then I might have to reconsider my preference.

Rob Instigator 11.20.2013 09:48 AM

I enjoy the weirdness of Body/Head a lot, and find it to be very "Kim" which gives me fat bone.

I find the Chelsea Light Moving odd. Have only spun the record once and it did not hit me. Trees...academy did the same thing. I think I will like these albums when I am a decrepit old man with no lust for life anymore and waiting to die.

The Dust, I am digging more the several times I listen to it. It has it's moments. I need to listen again.

Aaaadrpk 11.20.2013 01:11 PM

I like all 3 bands. The 3 bands are very distinct, what is good.
In the beginning I had a little resistance with Chelsea, but now I got the sound and I'm really enjoying it. Raw. Pulsing.
The Dust it's something floating, I think. I'm waiting the moment to really listen them.
Body/Head is something more intuitive, silent and load, hold my mind and guide to another perspective, a (very) synesthetic thing. Deep dive.

diskaholic-anonymous 11.20.2013 05:19 PM

chelsea it's closest to my taste,next will be kim body/head, and lee .

logicalharm 11.20.2013 09:10 PM

I think each is perfect for the respective SY member that founded it. I can't pick a favorite but I will say I like CLM way more than I initially wanted to or expected to.

dasx 11.21.2013 03:30 PM

I've really enjoyed listening to Dust album and I think it's the best of those. The second is CLM. At first I claimed that Lee's newest album sucks but now I think it's great album from the beginning to the end. Only song that's little bit below the others is the title track, but it's good song nevertheless. My favorite top 3 is: The Rising Tide, Key/Hole and Blackt Out.

sirki 11.22.2013 03:28 AM

It's difficult for me to pick one, since they're all very different. I do enjoy Lee's album (+' the Demo/Rehearsal'-cd) very much, been playing it a lot the last weeks.
CLM and Body/Head are very close behind and kinda tied for me. It kinda depends on the mood I'm in and the time of day. I can see myself playing Body/Head a lot in the upcoming months, while CLM will be more spring-material. Let's hope the new 12 inch will be out then :)
So far, I'm really enjoying the material they've put out separately.

guest 11.22.2013 07:22 AM

body/head, for me, is by some distance the best. exactly what I've always wanted from kim, really sees her coming into her own and it's brilliant to see her afforded all this incredible respect once more, re-establishing herself as a fucking goddess and a really daring musician.

the dust, though ordinarily not my thing, are real cool, lee seems to be really enjoying himself and it comes through in the songs. plus his guitar work is tops at the moment.

chelsea light moving, ehhhhh. thurston's boyhood fantasy lived out at 60.

Mortte Jousimo 11.22.2013 07:47 AM

At the moment Body/Head is best, then Dust & then CLM. I like them all, maybe CLM is third in my opinion because its album is not as fresh anymore as those others.

And about the gigs, Kim with Ikue was a lot better in summer 2012 than CLM in this summer.

Genteel Death 11.22.2013 09:00 AM

Body/Head

_tunic_ 11.22.2013 12:52 PM

Lee rules for me, with or without Dust.
then CLM
then nothing
then Body/Head

actually haven't heard the B/H album yet, but their live show was disappointingly short. Drove 2 hours to see them play a set that didn't even last 40 minutes....

Peterpuff 11.26.2013 10:03 AM

CLM is first for me. Fun live shows. Energetic.

Lee is second. Really liking the new album. Also great live, although I still need to see a "headlined" show and not just an opening slot.

Body/Head is pure shit, imo. I realize that will not be a popular opinion around here, but it's how I feel nonetheless. Artsy/Fartsy Kim with nobody to reign her in. Some interesting guitar textures, I will admit, but overall not an enjoyable listen for me. I would be interested to see if a live show might change my mind though.

Bytor Peltor 11.26.2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I find the Chelsea Light Moving odd.

I feel the same way about the album as a whole. However, after hearing Dead-Air play tracks on, What's This Called, I've found a few appreciation for it.

Still odd as an album, but some fabulous tracks throughout!

The new Body/Head should be delivered to my house later today......placed me a Matador order last week :)

Rob Instigator 11.26.2013 10:43 AM

The Body/Head album is beautifully packaged! Red and black, deep red INSIDE the gatefold pockets where the records are, black record sleeves, awesome design. Looks like pain and blood.

dasx 11.26.2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peterpuff
Body/Head is pure shit, imo. I realize that will not be a popular opinion around here, but it's how I feel nonetheless. Artsy/Fartsy Kim with nobody to reign her in. Some interesting guitar textures, I will admit, but overall not an enjoyable listen for me. I would be interested to see if a live show might change my mind though.

I agree. I saw Kim with Ikue Mori live in summer 2012 and it was boring. Whole show was like on the stage there's one woman miming a rock star and the other woman miming an office worker. Kim seemed to be completely lost and (luckily) show didn't last longer than 30 minutes.

Aaaadrpk 11.26.2013 05:08 PM

Indirectly, Body/Head is compared with CLM and The Dust, I think. Big mistake.You can't expect a concert/record in the same frames of CLM or The Dust, or a traditional concert/record. If you expect it, you never will understand, you never will enjoy, etc.

Diesel 11.26.2013 05:37 PM

Of the three I can stand CLM I guess a little bit more. Dust is schizophrenic and body/head is Kim in autistic mode. Woof woof.