Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What's everyone think of this swine flu? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=30615)

summer 04.25.2009 03:45 PM

What's everyone think of this swine flu?

I think it's just more media scare bullshit.

joe11121 04.25.2009 03:47 PM

Freaking me out a bit. I hope it doesn't make it's way up here.

EVOLghost 04.25.2009 03:48 PM

Never heard of it.

flophousefloozie 04.25.2009 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summer

We won't know how bad it is until it's completely out of hand, and everyone is running to Stephen King for guidance.

Lurker 04.25.2009 05:50 PM

Woke up this morning (well, afternoon) thinking I had had a dream in which I had heard about 60 people dieing from swine flu in Mexico. I thought it was strange thing to dream about as I had never even heard of swine flu and wondered where I had got the idea from. Went on the internet and it turned it had actually happened. I must have read it on the internet last night but I really can't remember doing that. Very strange.

But yeah it is very worrying.

Torn Curtain 04.25.2009 05:54 PM

Quote:

Well the fact it can kill people in good health IS scary, even more as it's an H1N1 subtype (like the 1918 pandemic).

Parallel with 1918 flu pandemic :

Quote:

Most of its victims were healthy young adults, in contrast to most influenza outbreaks which predominantly affect juvenile, elderly, or otherwise weakened patients.

SYRFox 04.25.2009 06:00 PM

I think it looks cute

Theremin 04.25.2009 06:23 PM

Chances are, apart from the unfortunate people in mexico, nothing will really happen. But media awareness (well, panic) about this kind of shit is of course a good thing since it usually induces measures that prevent spreading and stimulates anti-flu research.
And if not, we all die.

Lurker 04.25.2009 06:27 PM

Well said. And extreme reactions from a minority are often productive.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 04.25.2009 08:32 PM

At least it's not winter.

Dead-Air 04.25.2009 09:03 PM

I think it's actually pretty incredible how efficient the WHO is at dealing with this type of thing. Of course they have to scare the shit out of everybody, but that has actually helped make people be careful.

SARS didn't turn out to be the global killer it could have, but maybe, just maybe the WHO letting the world know how it could have been led to people taking precautions and stopped it from spreading. That stuff doesn't work as well in Africa where people are too poor to really care and education is very difficult to achieve. But in the developed world, the "media scare" is often a good thing, and the WHO does stop more of this stuff than they get credit for.

In hindsight, we look at Y2K as a ridiculously overhyped phenomena in the tech world that didn't manifest itself much at all. But if people (and more importantly corporations and governments) hadn't freaked out and spent millions of dollars preventing it, then maybe it would have been as bad as the dire predictions.

Paranoid beats oblivious if you have to choose.

Phlegmscope 04.25.2009 09:15 PM

The birdflu is passé by now.

Dead-Air 04.25.2009 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phlegmscope
The birdflu is passé by now.

Pigs will always be scarier than ducks.

summer 04.25.2009 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead-Air
In hindsight, we look at Y2K as a ridiculously overhyped phenomena in the tech world that didn't manifest itself much at all. But if people (and more importantly corporations and governments) hadn't freaked out and spent millions of dollars preventing it, then maybe it would have been as bad as the dire predictions.

While I appreciate the rest of your post, WHAT are you talking about here? What would have actually happened during Y2K, I mean, huh?

flophousefloozie 04.25.2009 10:43 PM

I think what he means is we're better off safe than sorry. It could have been alot worse if it had actually happened, and we didn't do anything to prepare...

blunderbuss 04.26.2009 12:54 AM

I'm genuinely concerned about it, just because I work at the UK head office of a Mexican company, with a lot of people travelling back and forth between the two countries.

When I get into work on Monday morning, I would like to see something to give UK staff reassurance regarding their safety. However, I expect to see nothing of the sort.

DeadDiscoDildo 04.26.2009 02:18 AM

I dunno, I always kinda secretly hoped the bird flu would kill us all, since they are linked to dinosaurs, if for nothing but the irony....

barnaclelapse 04.26.2009 07:14 AM

I'm not particularly worried.

Danny Himself 04.26.2009 07:34 AM

Quote:

While I appreciate the rest of your post, WHAT are you talking about here? What would have actually happened during Y2K, I mean, huh?

Danny Himself 04.26.2009 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
I dunno, I always kinda secretly hoped the bird flu would kill us all, since they are linked to dinosaurs, if for nothing but the irony....

Ha ha