Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   "Cyberpunk" music. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=26371)

SuperCreep 10.03.2008 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWRA
Suicide's first album?

Yeah, this is usually what I think of when I hear the term "cyberpunk" along with stuff like Simply Saucer and Chrome.

Glice 10.03.2008 12:53 PM

Go here

Listen to this music or this buy clothes from here and pretend you prefer VNV nation to Ultraviolence (in spite of the fact that VNV are shit).

I'm surprised that no-one here is aware of the cyberpunk movement. But not astonished, you're quite a hermetic bunch.

noisereductions 10.03.2008 12:56 PM

I liked the VNV Nation album that I heard. Dnt know which one it was, though.

batreleaser 10.03.2008 01:04 PM

cyberpunk;
big black (albini would choke me for saying that, but if were talking punk bands who use electronics, they definitlet apply)
the killing joke
atari teenage riot
aural vampire
sonic youth (not really haha, but i like how they were influenced by william gibson's 'the sprawl' on ddn)
hawkwind (definitley influenced by sciene fiction and cyber punk especially)
lolita storm
the shizit
magas (marlon magas's solo project, wierd electronic punk music, nothing like couch or lake of dracula, almost electroclash, but evilier, 'friends forever' on thrill jockey is great)

StevOK 10.03.2008 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
cyberpunk;
big black (albini would choke me for saying that, but if were talking punk bands who use electronics, they definitlet apply)

Would Young Marble Giants fit into this category, then?

atsonicpark 10.03.2008 02:52 PM

billy idol - cyberpunk

Actually, whatever band did the soundtracks to TETSUO, TOKYO FIST, BULLET BALLET.

Also, electric dragon 80000v's band.. uh... the band with the director of that and tadanoubou asano, it's some weird number.. but they're cyberpunk.

And yeah a lot of DHR stuff.

al shabbray 10.03.2008 03:20 PM

you always remember me with posts like that about the movies I still wanna watch and regularly forget when I look at the shelves inside the videotheque

batreleaser 10.03.2008 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevOK
Would Young Marble Giants fit into this category, then?

sure

tesla69 10.03.2008 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max
COCTEAU TWINS?

no.

dazedcola 10.03.2008 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
Recently I've began reading William Gibson's Neuromancer.

chock this up to lazy/hazy sy info but didnt neuromancerhhave something to do with the sonic nurse album or am i completely misreadng that?

Theres an audio book copy of this at work and i think i might get it. Whats the book about?

Dead-Air 10.04.2008 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
Recently I've began reading William Gibson's Neuromancer. Also, by chance, I've also been listening to Massive Attack's "Angel" a lot again which, I feel, has a kind of cyberpunkish feel. So now I want more music that might compliment reading cyberpunk. I'm downloading Oval's 94DISKONT thinking some glitch might work? Anyways, you all know any music that kind of brings that kind of bleak techno dystopia feel?

So your question, thankfully, isn't what music fits the genre of cyberpunk, or even what music has influenced cyberpunk, but rather, what might we suggest as a soundtrack to reading cyberpunk. A good question, and more interesting to me than the other two.

Autechre's Peel Session comes immediately to mind, as do most of their albums. But "Drone" on the Peel Session is perfect for the task.

Fennesz also comes to mind as the perfect mood music for reading about high tech dystopian near-futures.

Mouse On Mars would also do well, and if you could handle the distraction while reading of Mark E. Smith's vocals, their collaboration with him Von Sudenfed may arguably be the truest melding of "punk" and "cyber" in music yet.

Christian Vogel's Rescate 137 is an album that feels very much like it was recorded as a soundtrack for books, and I mean that positively.

If Massive Attack worked for you, then why not U.F.ORB or Orbus Terrarum? Beyond the Ultraworld wouldn't do with "Little Fluffly Clouds" and "Perpetual Dawn" in there, but the next couple Orb albums are both darker and more minimal, which seems what you need.

On a similar tip, Lifeforms by the Future Sound of London seems quite appropriate for your purposes.

On the older front, the first album by Tangerine Dream - Electronic Meditation fits remarkably well, as would tons of Kraftwerk but especially Autobahn. NEU! also seems to fit the bill.

Sonic Youth once flippantly claimed their music was cyberpunk, but really the record by them that would meet your needs would be the Ciccone Youth disc, especially the instrumental parts.

A lot of other suggestions people have made here are good, except they might not work so well for your stated purpose. Who could possibley read while listening to Prodigy or Atari Teenage Riot?? Might as well try Godflesh if you're going to do that.

Dead-Air 10.04.2008 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazedcola
chock this up to lazy/hazy sy info but didnt neuromancerhhave something to do with the sonic nurse album or am i completely misreadng that?

Theres an audio book copy of this at work and i think i might get it. Whats the book about?

No, Sonic Nurse contains the song "Pattern Recognition" which is based on the much more recent Gibson album. That's the connection your were undoubtedly thinking of.

Pattern Recognition is set in the contemporary world (essentially our own) though it contains many of the tropes commonly associated with cyberpunk nonetheless. Gibson was rather implying that the future he predicted in Neuromancer and his other science fiction novels is essentially starting right now.

max 10.04.2008 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tesla69
no.

ok, but in a way...

KILLING JOKE of course, yeah...
CORONER?

tesla69 10.04.2008 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max
ok, but in a way...

KILLING JOKE of course, yeah...
CORONER?

after rereading this thread i see I was responding to the thread title and not the request for music to accompany reading - in that sense I can speak from experience and admit I would listen to tapes of the Cocteau Twins & K-Joke when I was reading Gibson, Rucker and Sterling in the late 80's.

I bought the K-Joke "A New Day" 12" from 1984 today at the P_RECX

Iain 10.05.2008 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
billy idol - cyberpunk

Actually, whatever band did the soundtracks to TETSUO, TOKYO FIST, BULLET BALLET.

Also, electric dragon 80000v's band.. uh... the band with the director of that and tadanoubou asano, it's some weird number.. but they're cyberpunk.

And yeah a lot of DHR stuff.

I think it was Chu Ishikawa that did those soundtracks. Definitely did the Tetsuo one...

Chrome are pretty much the most cyberpunk sounding band to me.

pbradley 10.05.2008 10:54 PM

Like music you could imagine a character in Bladerunner to be listening to.

Anyways, wow, lots of great suggestions. Thanks, everybody.

Derek 10.06.2008 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazedcola

I'm positive Neuromancer has had SY songs written around it, but not on the Sonic Nurse LP.

valid 10.06.2008 10:39 AM

H'bout Yagya. Icy cold clicks with beat mostly the one beat.

Higher Intelligence Agency. classic

Oval is good, what about Pole. dub pops and clicks

Have you heard Growing? Not necessarilly electronic but they've got the drone...

_slavo_ 10.06.2008 12:58 PM

Marco Passarani - 6 katun

a perfect cyberpunk record. futuristic, rough, edgy and dark.

pbradley 10.06.2008 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
I'm positive Neuromancer has had SY songs written around it, but not on the Sonic Nurse LP.

The Sprawl