Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Barack Obama is white (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=22374)

Rob Instigator 06.06.2008 01:26 PM

Barack Obama is white

I get so fed up hearing endless bullshit about race in this presidential run
I am sick of it

if Barack Obama is HALF black, and HALF white, then it mkaes just as much sense (menaing NONE) to call him a white candidate as it does to call him a black candidate.

race is a fucking smokescreen. it does not exist. There is one race, the human race. any other ideas we have about "race" are holdovers from an 18th century worldview held by rich white europeans, whne they decided to clasify all living creature in order from lowliest and most base to the highest and most pure (closer to god) and of course, white folk were placed as the high rung on this ladder of bullshit.

I hate it, and there is nothing I can do about it. It sickens me to hear people so obsessed with labling a human being as black or white.

in the USA, if you have even one tiny bit of african blood in you you have historically been classified as black, as if 3% of black blood taints the otherwise supa-white 97% of yr blood. whatever. it is such a fucking joke.

Go Obama!

davenotdead 06.06.2008 01:28 PM

usually it is blacks who do all the claiming, from what i have seen... well, i know they wanted Tiger and Halle... so they went and got em. that's lobbying for ya

mangajunky 06.06.2008 01:32 PM

There may only be one race, but there are all kinds of different cultures. It will always be an issue because we are different. We all come from different backgrounds and we have our little prejudices based on skin color, creed, and ethnic background. We ALL do and anyone who says differently is lying.

Obama is a good candidate. He has my vote. Unless I find out he's extra-terrestrial. Then that filthy alien can go back from wherever the hell he's from.

Rob Instigator 06.06.2008 01:49 PM

tiger woods is Thai!

cultures and backgrounds are quanitfiable and understandable and have abasis in reality. The standard model of "Race" (Caucasiod, Negroid, etc.)has no such basis, no matter how long and how varied the search for racial differences has been.

gmku 06.06.2008 01:52 PM

He's definitely about as white as a Black man can get, I agree. He's also a paper tiger. I hate to say it, especially as I'll most likely vote for him, but he's a lot of talk and not much substance.

Sorry, !@#$%, I'm not saying he's not a good man. But after being reminded of true greatness when I watched Bobby the other night, I'm very apathetic about this election.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.06.2008 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

race is a fucking smokescreen. it does not exist. There is one race, the human race. any other ideas we have about "race" are holdovers from an 18th century worldview held by rich white europeans, whne they decided to clasify all living creature in order from lowliest and most base to the highest and most pure (closer to god) and of course, white folk were placed as the high rung on this ladder of bullshit.

Go Obama!

smokescreen indeed, Obama is going to be the next token black president of America, to catch the black vote, the colored vote, the liberal vote, the leftist vote, the Panther vote, the young vote, etc etc etc.

everyone thinks that because Obama is black, and because black folks are obviously disenfranchised in this shitstem, that he is somehow free from the realpolitik corruption of the US, bullshit! It is like Kerry all over again, only the race card makes Obama the candidate you cant diss, cuz its a race thing. I-man support black nationalism, but Marcus Garvey spoke as a prophet, there will never be a black president of the United States, and Obama proves it, after all, Garvery meant a "full" black [ie the child of a black man and black woman] president.. the US has only accepted mixed black folks in the mainstream since slavery, darker skin is perceived of as threatening by the masses, alas alas.

"catch them Garvey catch them, hold them Marcus hold them"

tesla69 06.06.2008 01:58 PM

Right on Rob! You hit the target dead on.

You seen this guy James A Johnson obama has tasked with choosing the VP: among others he's a member of the American Friends of Bilderberg, the Council on Foreign Relations, and the Trilateral Commission. Also hearing some weird shit about his halfbrother who is a Kenyan musliim murderous jihadist.

we are fucked.

mangajunky 06.06.2008 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
It is like Kerry all over again

A major difference is that Obama can make a speech and is charismatic. Kerry was a downer every time you heard him. He wouldn't even defend himself.

gmku 06.06.2008 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mangajunky
A major difference is that Obama can make a speech and is charismatic. Kerry was a downer every time you heard him. He wouldn't even defend himself.

Charismatic? About as much as a high school principal or the CEO of a software business. Sorry, no, he's not.

Robert Kennedy was charismatic. That's the last time we saw true charisma in politics.

mangajunky 06.06.2008 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku

Robert Kennedy was charismatic. That's the last time we saw true charisma in politics.

Comparing any politician to Robert Kennedy is unfair. That man was exceptional.

He's definitely charismatic. He has inspired a lot of people. He has raised a lot of money. His speech the other night was energetic and riveting even if it was pie-in-the-sky.

gmku 06.06.2008 02:32 PM

It bothers me that people would think this is an unfair comparison. The fact that nobody even comes close to measuring up to RFK, and hasn't since 1968, is a sad comment.

Rob Instigator 06.06.2008 02:32 PM

dude, though, anything different than Bush and his cheney=cronies is gonna sound like pie in the sky!

if people tell you it does not matter who is president ask them what this country would have been like had Preznit Dubya not been in the white house these last 8 years.

more than likely, we would have toppeld the Taliban in afghanistan, helped that country rebuild, NOT go into Iraq, and use hussein;s stupidity as leverage with Iran and all those other countries, to side with us.

Rob Instigator 06.06.2008 02:33 PM

fuck charisma. it is a pointles attriibute ina president, only usable to lie and delude your constituents.
bill bubba clinton had charisma, more so than any kennedy.
did not mean shit, when he could not control his proclivities.

gmku 06.06.2008 02:41 PM

What did controlling his proclivities have to do with his politics though?

Clinton was not only a little charismatic (but hardly as much as the Kennedys!) but he could also deal effectively and diplomatically with other leaders.

Yah, so he got his cigar smoked. What has that got to do with anything.

Rob Instigator 06.06.2008 02:45 PM

THAT is the very definition of PROCLIVITIES!!!!

sheeeit man.

if he ahd kept his pecker under control his enemies would have had NOTHING to get at him at, dig?
and to say he was less charismatic than RFK is simply delusional.
the whole poitnt being that we now choose our presidents base on charimsa dn how good they look on TV. that shit is bullshit andd meaningless when you cannot stand up in front of foeign leaders and fellow VIP's and be intelligent (as with Dubya)

gmku 06.06.2008 02:59 PM

Sorry, I think my definition of charisma is a little different from yours. I'm not talking about magazine handsomeness or that kind of thing.

Rob Instigator 06.06.2008 03:07 PM

I am talking about the ability to make the person you are talking to feel like the most important person in the room
that is something RFK and Bill Clinton both share.
They are both emminently likable. I have yet to read any of clinton's "enemies" who said that they could not help BUT like him once they met him face to face, whatever their political disagreements. That is charisma.

Rob Instigator 06.06.2008 03:08 PM

in the south in souther politics, it is called STARSHINE

and clinton has it in spades.

gmku 06.06.2008 03:11 PM

Okay I agree with you there. I've got an uncle like that actually. He's never self-conscious and always makes you feel like you're more important than he is, just by focusing his attention on you.

In any case, I'm so disappointed with U.S. politics I could cry, if I cared enough.

el micky 06.06.2008 03:25 PM

withdrawing in disgust is not the same as apathy