Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Lightning Bolt: Sucky? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3797)

Daycare Nation 07.05.2006 10:15 PM

Lightning Bolt: Sucky?

I got a CD-R of Wonderful Rainbow...I give it about 2 stars....kind of annoying, crappy, devoid of substance. I know there are some fans in here...If you like, we can exchange negative rep.

drrrtyboots 07.05.2006 10:19 PM

Annoying? Crappy? There's plenty of substance there.

Daycare Nation 07.05.2006 10:20 PM

Like how? In that they repeat the same phrases endlessly, or ruin any good chord progression by destroying it with senseless noise?

m^a(t)h 07.05.2006 10:22 PM

i dont like their music, the drums are really annoying. Its good that they realize that they sound like classic rock though, that makes them better than black dice.

when 07.05.2006 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daycare Nation
they repeat the same phrases endlessly

incinerate
incinerate
incinerate
incinerate

Daycare Nation 07.05.2006 10:24 PM

I never heard Black Dice, but read that they were very pointless. Lightning Bolt sounds like heavy metal to me, or Joe Satriani, plus a bunch of senseless noise that is counterintuitive to what pleases the ear.

Daycare Nation 07.05.2006 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by when
incinerate
incinerate
incinerate
incinerate

that's called a chorus...it doesn't repeat endlessly. There is this one part in Wonderful Rainbow where they repeat the same three notes for two minutes.

drrrtyboots 07.05.2006 10:25 PM

They aren't a band based on chord progression and some songs on wonderful rainbow, like 2 towers for instance, repeat the same phrases a lot but that's just how that album was. To call them sucky though? They're one of the only bands i've seen and heard of that can have an entire room packed with people on their feet dancing, 80 percent of those people not even able to see the band. It's about the live experiance.

youthoftomorrow 07.05.2006 10:25 PM

i love Lightning Bolt. i've never listened to Wonderful Rainbow, but i think Hypermagic Mountain is the best driving album of all time.

Daycare Nation 07.05.2006 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drrrtyboots
They aren't a band based on chord progression and some songs on wonderful rainbow, like 2 towers for instance, repeat the same phrases a lot but that's just how that album was. To call them sucky though? They're one of the only bands i've seen and heard of that can have an entire room packed with people on their feet dancing, 80 percent of those people not even able to see the band. It's about the live experiance.

I haven't seen them live, but if the album can't compare to the live experience it's not worth it. I read some comments comparing them to jazz? Maybe that's why I don't like it...I think most jazz is boring...although honestly Lightning Bolt sounds more like heavy metal to me.

youthoftomorrow 07.05.2006 10:33 PM

Quote:

I haven't seen them live, but if the album can't compare to the live experience it's not worth it. I read some comments comparing them to jazz? Maybe that's why I don't like it...I think most jazz is boring...although honestly Lightning Bolt sounds more like heavy metal to me.

i take it that you're not a fan of heavy metal? (should that sentence have a question mark at the end?)

i've never seen them live (although i really really want to) but i've read that it's fucking crazy.

m^a(t)h 07.05.2006 10:33 PM

Quote:

incinerate
incinerate
incinerate
incinerate

thanks for plagiarizing me...

drrrtyboots 07.05.2006 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youthoftomorrow
i take it that you're not a fan of heavy metal? (should that sentence have a question mark at the end?)

i've never seen them live (although i really really want to) but i've read that it's fucking crazy.

One of the best experiances of my life. Probably the only time I could give two shits about other peoples' sweat dripping on me because I was probably doing the same to them. It was really intense.

Daycare Nation 07.05.2006 10:35 PM

I like Sabbath and some other things, but the kind of metal that Lightning Bolt reminds me of I don't like...I'm talking about that guitar virtuoso-type of metal which is all about technical ability and how fast the guitarist can play arpeggios, etc.

when 07.05.2006 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m^a(t)h
thanks for plagiarizing me...

plagiarism is a really flawed concept.

m^a(t)h 07.05.2006 10:37 PM

Quote:

plagiarism is a really flawed concept.

keep telling yourself that

nomadicfollower 07.05.2006 10:51 PM

Lightning Bolt are one of the few bands who know how to use noise in an interesting way. The sound is very full. Chippendale is a wonderful drummer and Gibson can play bass very uniquely (due to his set up).
Wonderful Rainbow is one of the best noise albums made.

atari 2600 07.05.2006 10:57 PM

I put Hypermagic Mountain in my Top Ten albums of '05 last year. I wouldn't say they are sucky, but they aren't "all that" either --to the extent that they are discussed here at this forum anyways. As far as newer bands go, they are one of the best. Ultimately, I wouldn't go to far out of my way to defend them from the charge of "Thou Suck!" though.

Certainly, Black Dice aren't sucky; they have lots of sounds & ample substance if you know their catalogue.

nomadicfollower 07.05.2006 10:58 PM

Quote:

I never heard Black Dice, but read that they were very pointless. Lightning Bolt sounds like heavy metal to me, or Joe Satriani, plus a bunch of senseless noise that is counterintuitive to what pleases the ear.

Senseless noise: Wolf Eyes, Hair Police, glitch noise (don't know anymore band names, don't care to)

atari 2600 07.05.2006 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadicfollower
Senseless noise: Wolf Eyes, Hair Police, glitch noise (don't know anymore band names, don't care to)

I'm with you on that.