Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Steve on Rain on Tin (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=25817)

akprodr 09.20.2008 12:32 PM

Steve on Rain on Tin

I made a mix CD a while back and one guy raved about the drumming on Rain on Tin. My response was: well, there ain't a slouch in the bunch of 'em.

Steve has got to be one of the most understated and unknown of drummers. I think its because he plays so matter-of-fact-ly. Its not as flashy as, say, Neal Peart but is just as good.

(I would say, once you get to a certain level of performance, one person really isn't better than another--its just style.)

But its kind of funny, I can't listen to the drums on that track. Or more specifically, I can't hear them. My brain keeps getting sucked over to the guitars even when I try to focus. Weird.

Same kinda thing with some Tool and King Crimson songs. All of them are great drummers but I only hear it as rhythm.

atsonicpark 09.20.2008 01:13 PM

Yeah, he's underrated for sure.

Same as bob bert.

akprodr 09.20.2008 01:25 PM

I found a 'top 100 drummers' list. Oddly enough, Neal Peart was #1. Steve was #71. Across and up at 22 was Steve Smith of Journey so there goes the list's credibility.

atsonicpark 09.20.2008 02:13 PM

John French of Captain Beefheart probably wasn't on there was he?

auto-aim 09.21.2008 07:28 PM

steve is just a man that happens to play drums.

max 09.21.2008 07:52 PM

doing a helluva good job at it.

[Sandbag] 09.30.2008 09:14 PM

um.. steve is a great drummer..
just listen how the drums kicks in n 'nevermind'.. its really fucking original.
or stones...sugar kane...

i mean, i think he's both good playing drums and 'writing/composing' the drum lines.

noisereductions 10.01.2008 07:13 AM

Rain On Tin
Pattern Recognitin
fuckin' EXPRESSWAY y'all

StevOK 10.01.2008 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Pattern Recognition

Yeah, when I first listen to Nurse, his drum breaks blew my mind.

I think his drumming really shines on Sister.

nowideau 10.01.2008 02:48 PM

Steve will always be under-appreciated because he purposefully strives to subdue and integrate his drumming "voice" around all three of the strings. He is the root if you will, keeping close to the basic rhythm he establishes and makes sure that that rhythm lays down enough ground work and support so as to free the others and give them room to improvise and play more outside of the basic framework. His genius and art is about making himself invisible, much the way a film editor strives to make his work seem unnoticeable to the audience.

That said, he does have his limitations as a drummer, but then again, I would say the same of any drummer who couldn't play as well as Elvin Jones, Tony Williams or Jack Dejohnette, which is a somewhat unfair expectation of just about anybody.

whorefrost 10.01.2008 05:11 PM

Pipeline
Bull in the Heather

baby bulldog 10.01.2008 05:57 PM

At the Psychic Hearts show a few weeks back we were all blown away by Steve.He always brings it.Always.

adjectives-ex 10.02.2008 12:56 AM

yeah. unfortunately, most people who do the rating to make somebody not underated...are kind of musically ignorant. what's worse is that he isn't a very "high-brow" drummer. it's just that so many people don't really seem to appreciate the actual role of a drummer and think that the rediculous drum solo on that Iron Butterfly song is what it means to be a good drummer. sure it's good, but it's doing it by himself. it's like masterbating or something.

s.

noisereductions 10.02.2008 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whorefrost
Bull in the Heather

Good call! To me "Bull In The Heather" is what it is because of string-scrapes and Steve's drums.