Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Tom Carter hospitalised in Berlin with pneumonia (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=78421)

blunderbuss 06.02.2012 11:12 AM

Tom Carter hospitalised in Berlin with pneumonia

From Three Lobed:

-Late on May 31st information started to trickle out about how our
friend Tom Carter had been hospitalized in Europe with a case of
pneumonia. While details aren't really out yet, we hope everyone is
keeping this super-king raga rager in your thoughts. To help him deal
with what will certainly be unforeseen costs associated with
hospitalization abroad and the cancellation of some tour dates, we are
trying to cobble together some money to help him out. As such, we are
selling what few loose overstock copies we have of Tom's OOP
contribution to the "Oscillation III" CD series, "Skyline
Grinder" (http://threelobed.com/tlr/tlr047.html) we have on hand for
$10 each (postpaid in the US, $12 to Canada, $14.50 to all other
addresses) with all of the net proceeds going to Tom. Further, the
net proceeds from the next twenty copies of the epic Tom Carter +
Bardo Pond "4/23/03" 2xLP with "4/25/03" CD (http://threelobed.com/tlr/
tlr089.html) sold by mailorder will also go to Tom. Buy both for $35
postpaid in the US! Since this CD is otherwise out of print and these
copies sold are coming out of some personal stash copies, we have not
set up a PayPal button - please drop us a line to arrange payment.
Please keep Tom in your thoughts!

blunderbuss 06.02.2012 11:13 AM

That Bardo / Carter collaboration is brilliant. Buy yourself a copy now, and get the additional warm feeling of having helped a sick man in a strange town.

stu666 06.02.2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blunderbuss
That Bardo / Carter collaboration is brilliant. Buy yourself a copy now, and get the additional warm feeling of having helped a sick man in a strange town.

This time 2 weeks ago I was getting ready to see Charalambides play OTO, Tom Carter gave me the setlist at the end of their set. I also spoke briefly to him the next night and he was interested in the recording of the show that I made.... I hope he recovers soon.

I ordered that LP today (been meaning to buy it for a while)

the ikara cult 06.02.2012 12:12 PM

Get well soon Tom, the Oto gigs 2 weeks ago were life-affirmingly wonderful.

Gulasch Noir 06.03.2012 08:15 AM

yeps, I also received the newsletter e-mail. Will have to buy those two items.

Pookie 06.03.2012 08:31 AM

Charalambides have completely passed me by. I don't know if this makes me utterly cool (unlikely) or a bit of a twat.

Either way, I hope he gets better soon.

the ikara cult 06.03.2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
Charalambides have completely passed me by. I don't know if this makes me utterly cool (unlikely) or a bit of a twat.

This Pookie

Im sure you know the feeling of someone testifying to the greatness of something you arent convinced by, I have a similar thing with Fushitsusha - all the people whose opinion i value tell me how earth-shattering they are, and I just dont see it. But thats how it should be innit, the whole reason groups like Charalambides exist are for people who want to sit back and take things in on their own terms, even if its not always what we want to get.

Gulasch Noir 06.04.2012 04:21 AM

You also get a download link, as soon as you have placed your order. The 4/25/03 - CD is pretty fucking sweet! (Just listening to it at the moment)

toxic johnny 06.04.2012 04:40 AM

Just ordered mine...
I hope he makes a rapid recovery very soon.

tesla69 06.06.2012 08:15 AM

Quote:

It makes you a person with your own opinion. Personally, I prefer Tom's solo work and Eleven TwentyNine to the Charalambides, who I find ok.

Pookie 06.06.2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tesla69
It makes you a person with your own opinion. Personally, I prefer Tom's solo work and Eleven TwentyNine to the Charalambides, who I find ok.

It's not that I don't like them. It's just that for a long time I never heard them and even now I've only heard a handful of songs.

But like I say I hope he recovers swiftly!

tesla69 06.07.2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

It's not that I don't like them. It's just that for a long time I never heard them and even now I've only heard a handful of songs.

But like I say I hope he recovers swiftly!

Me too, he's one of the good ones. I didn't really express myself as well as i could have above, the Charlamabides requires a commitment to listen to, one doesn't do chores and listen to them. Its very tasty stuff over all, comparing diesel to kush its all good.

Zaika was an excellent project he did with Marcia Bassett - I think there is a WFMU session on a free archive somewhere. There are several releases on cassette and CDr that are worth hunting down, the lp on Eclipse is ok as well, a little quieter than those.

He was supposed to play with Loren Conners next Monday as part of re month of Steve Gunn Mondays at Zebulon.

blunderbuss 06.17.2012 01:28 PM

From Volcanic Tongue:

TOM CARTER APPEAL

17 June 2012: While on a tour of Europe with Charalambides, Tom Carter was hospitalized in Berlin, Germany and has been in intensive care for over two weeks. He is currently being treated for serious complications of pneumonia. At this time, there remain many uncertainties regarding his condition, which continues to be variable and evolving. Hospitalization and a projected recovery could last at a minimum many weeks and possibly months.

The consideration and support that has already been expressed, during this time, is of great comfort to Tom’s family.

Many concerned individuals have asked about sending cards and flowers, all of which is greatly appreciated. However, the intensive care unit is not equipped to accommodate gifts. We will be sure to let everyone know if and when the hospital is able to do so. Additionally, Tom is currently unable to receive phone calls or visitors. Many individuals have also inquired as to what other assistance they can provide. Due to the severity of Tom’s illness, his hospitalization away from home, and the projection of a possible prolonged recovery, Tom and his family will certainly incur a more than significant financial burden. There will be medical bills as well as possible travel and housing expenses. It is thought that a considerable portion, if not all, of Tom’s recovery must take place in Berlin.

A fund is being established to receive donations to offset these costs. Information on how to contribute will follow as soon as it is available. Tom Carter’s generosity and modesty as a musician and friend, coupled with his dedication to a vision of spiritual music as transformative force, provides us all with a rare example of creative and personal possibilities intertwined. Let us keep Tom, whom we cherish, in our thoughts and attune our minds to his full recovery.

Please forward this notice to anyone who may be concerned. We will post updates here as more information becomes available.

Volcanic Tongue is donating all proceeds from sales of Charalambides and Tom Carter and Christina Carter releases to Tom Carter and his family. Blackest Rainbow Recordings have also very generously offered all their available releases to VT with all proceeds going direct to Tom’s fund. Click the links below to browse all the releases that are part of the appeal.

hipster_bebop_junkie 06.20.2012 03:35 PM

http://helptomcarter.org/

Bummed and worried that he's still struggling.

pantophobia 06.20.2012 04:24 PM

this saddens me greatly to hear this

I was privileged to see Charalambides play at some house in DC back in 06, and sat on an amp inches from Christina Carter, the most intimate performance I have ever seen

got to talk to Tom again a few weeks later in England at ATP, I remember they played opposite SY in that side stage area, and got to say a few nice words to Tom later on

I hope he pulls through, such a nice soul

stu666 06.27.2012 03:44 PM

Tom Carter Benefit Show @ Flywheel Arts Collective

" Our friend, guitarist Tom Carter, was recently hospitalized due to complications from pneumonia while on tour in Germany. Due to the nature and length of his recovery, the hospital bills will be quite extensive. We are organizing this event to help defray his costs.

Music from:
Body/Head
Hush Arbors
Sunburned Hand of the Man
Magik Markers
Six Organs of Admittance
Dredd Foole

With readings by:
Byron Coley
Elaine Kahn
Matt Krefting

$10 admission

http://helptomcarter.org/ "

the ikara cult 06.28.2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666
Tom Carter Benefit Show @ Flywheel Arts Collective

" Our friend, guitarist Tom Carter, was recently hospitalized due to complications from pneumonia while on tour in Germany. Due to the nature and length of his recovery, the hospital bills will be quite extensive. We are organizing this event to help defray his costs.

Music from:
Body/Head
Hush Arbors
Sunburned Hand of the Man
Magik Markers
Six Organs of Admittance
Dredd Foole

With readings by:
Byron Coley
Elaine Kahn
Matt Krefting

$10 admission

http://helptomcarter.org/ "

Apart from anything else, $10 to see all that???!!?!?!

If you havent emptied out your wallet at the end of that night then shame on you.

A Thousand Threads 06.29.2012 02:18 PM

For the last two years, I think there's no musician i listened to more than to Tom Carter.
I still think some of the songs were a bit too long, all in all Exile remains one of my favourites from last year. The Eleven Twenty Nine one on Northern Spy was a highlight aswell.

Hopefully he'll get better quick.

hypertonic 06.29.2012 04:09 PM

From Volcanic Tongue:

24 June 2012: More substantial details are coming in as to a potential recovery schedule for Tom Carter while he remains in hospital in Berlin. The doctors are now proposing a plan to keep Tom in intensive care for approximately two more weeks before transferring him to a medical rehabilitation facility for an additional month somewhere in Germany. Afterwards Tom will return to the US for further evaluation, medical care, and convalescence. However, this portion of his treatment and recovery remains largely unknown as to its nature and timescale and indeed, this is a best-case scenario and subject to change according to the vagaries of Tom’s condition.

In order to address the considerable financial difficulties that are sure to arise as a result of a projected lengthy recuperation, Christina Carter (Charalambides) and Cory Rayborn (Three Lobed Recordings) are establishing the Robert Thomas Carter Irrevocable Trust to care for all of Tom’s current and future needs. Information on how to make your personal donation directly to the trust fund will be available shortly.

Also, in order to more efficiently coordinate and consolidate efforts to assist Tom, the Jump Arts organization has graciously agreed to donate the http://helptomcarter.org/ site to the Robert Thomas Carter Irrevocable Trust. The website will be updated to reflect this transfer, so that interested and concerned parties will be able to continue to visit http://helptomcarter.org/ and make their personal gift directly to Tom’s fund. Until the transfer is complete, Jump Arts will temporarily accept donations on behalf of the RTC Trust. In addition, all monies Jump Arts has already collected will be assigned to the trust.

Volcanic Tongue would like to thank everyone who has purchased merchandise or donated monies to Tom thus far. In the coming weeks we will be announcing some very special donations to Tom’s fund that will be available for sale via Volcanic Tongue, including a new EP from Eleven Twenty-Nine (Tom’s duo with Marc Orleans of Sunburned Hand Of The Man), a reissue of a very limited Charalambides live performance + interview DVD, rare CD-Rs/CDs and cassettes from Christina Carter, Scorces and Charalambides (generously donated by Robin Barnes of Isolde) and an original copy of Richard Youngs and Simon Wickham-Smith’s massively rare private press 2xLP debut, Lake, kindly donated by Richard himself. Additionally, a portion of the proceeds for the new Rotten Masters (Richard Youngs + Andrew Paine) 7” has been donated by Sonic Oyster Records. Keep an eye on our site for many more one-off fund raising contributions.

For more details and updates on Tom’s condition, please go here: http://volcanictongue.com/tomcarterappeal -- Please re-post and tweet this link if you can.

the ikara cult 06.29.2012 07:12 PM

lets make it happen everyone. So glad to see his prognosis includes a medium-term plan now, im sure the righteous and the good will be behind this as long as it takes.