Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Blue vinyl Goo? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=26718)

radarmaker 10.13.2008 12:49 PM

Coloured vinyl Goo bootlegs (was "Blue vinyl Goo")

So, anyone seen/heard of this thing before?

It came through my door today after I stumbled across it on eBay a couple of weeks ago and ended up paying more than I probably should have, especially since it's almost certainly a bootleg/pirate, for the following reasons:

- the catalog number is GED 24297, which corresponds to the German CD rather than the LP
- plain white inner rather than the usual printed one
- the sleeve is on slightly flimsier cardstock than my black German LP
- the print on the label isn't as clear, and the silver areas just appear grey.
- the run-out groove includes only a hand-scratched catalog number, rather than the much longer machine-printed matrix that my black copy has.

Still, an interesting oddity nonetheless - can't remember ever seeing pirate repressings of any official SY releases before...

viewtiful_alan 10.13.2008 01:05 PM

Never heard of it.. but damn that looks tasty.

Rob Instigator 10.13.2008 01:21 PM

i want it.

radarmaker 10.13.2008 01:29 PM

Well, I'm not too bothered about pirate stuff, so if anyone wants it for the price I paid ($77), you're welcome to give me a shout...

I'd probs also trade it for other SY bits I'm looking for.

radarmaker 10.13.2008 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor

Heh - that's actually my submission of my black German copy!

The sleeve is a direct copy of that one, aside from the different catalog number, and the labels are very similar, but have a couple of slight differences - aside form the cat #, the blue one doesn't say "33rpm" but it does have a small line of extra copyright text above the DGC logo.

greedrex 10.13.2008 02:17 PM

Give Me It
Now

Protectmeyou 10.14.2008 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radarmaker
Well, I'm not too bothered about pirate stuff, so if anyone wants it for the price I paid ($77), you're welcome to give me a shout...

what condition is the cover in?

how does the record play; surface noise etc?

interested.

radarmaker 10.14.2008 07:08 AM

It's all in excellent condition - the sleeve still has the shrink wrap on, and there's no surface noise. Drop me a PM if you wanna try & work something out...

noisereductions 10.14.2008 07:40 AM

protectmeyou.... yr avatar freaked me out. I was like "I don't remember commenting in this thread????"

noisereductions 10.14.2008 08:33 AM

radar's collection makes mine look inadequate.

SonicBebs 10.14.2008 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
radar's collection makes mine look inadequate.

thats because there's nothing to do in Newcastle but collect records and get rained on

StevOK 10.14.2008 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
radar's makes mine look inadequate.

Mine too.

radarmaker 10.14.2008 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicBebs
thats because there's nothing to do in Newcastle but collect records and get rained on

I'd refute that if it wasn't pissing down right now :/

stu666 10.14.2008 02:12 PM

http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=12078&page=7&highlight=spill+viny ls

this thread needs updating :D

radarmaker 02.02.2009 07:08 AM

Looks like there's another one of these "boots" on eBay at the moment, only this time it's red vinyl - I would have a bid, but it's US-only, so I figured I'd give a heads-up to anyone else that's interested - there's about 18 hours left to run on it:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=150323509180

greedrex 02.02.2009 08:27 AM

this indeed looks nice

radarmaker 02.20.2009 07:44 AM

Couldn't resist throwing a bid in on the red one in the end and was pleasantly surprised to win it for about half the price of the blue :)

It arrived today and, as suspected, is basically identical other than being clear red instead of marbled blue - from the identical matrix code, I assume it was pressed from the same plates.
The only other difference was that the red one also included a double-sided insert on glossy paper which has the same images as the inner sleeve on official copies. I'll sort some pics out over the weekend.

e_s_d 08.27.2009 10:25 AM

Just picked up grey and dark grey marbled vinyl copies of Goo and EVOL... Looks like someone's having super phun thyme churning out bootleg Sonic Youth:

a-p a. niemi 08.27.2009 10:45 AM

How about clear vinyl Goo?

radarmaker 08.27.2009 11:13 AM

Yeah, that's 4 or 5 different colour Goos and 3 EVOLs now. I imagine Sister & Daydream won't be far behind.
I think all the ones I've seen have been from US-based sellers, but the boots are trying to pass themselves off as European pressings.