Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   boredoms and other japanese acts. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=19143)

king_buzzo 01.22.2008 02:53 PM

boredoms and other japanese acts.

what should i start with boredoms?

reccomend some other japanese shit.

booooboboobobob.

drrrtyboots 01.22.2008 02:57 PM

Boredoms sound like absolutely no one else and asking for Japanese music is like asking where to start with American music.

Start with either Pop Tatari or Chocolate Synthesizer if you want some crazier, spontaneous noise or if you want godly sun worshipping goodness get Vision Creation Newsun or Super Ae.

king_buzzo 01.22.2008 03:01 PM

thnks.//////

sonicl 01.22.2008 03:11 PM

I guarantee you that you will love High Rise, if you can find anything by them. My recommendation is "Live" on PSF or Squealer:

Try this for size: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZY4Hs7Kn_I

As far as Boredoms are concerned, try Super Ae as a starting place.

two faced egg 01.22.2008 03:24 PM

Yea..Well It Seems i started with Pop Tatari & Chocalate Synth Super Rad! Just ordered Super roots 6 seems 66 mins of shorts jams i belieive ..i am the most fan of 00ioo (have said this a hundred times)..Feather Float is great might not be for everybody..kinda challenging...kila kila kila..Gold & Green ! yea...Munching down on Cannabis..

atsonicpark 01.22.2008 03:26 PM

..........................you've opened up a can of worms. I feel the urge to make a ridiculously long list that no one will care about.......

First you listen to "Chocolate Synthesizer", "Super AE", then "Vision Creation Newsun". Then, you listen to every Omoide Hatoba record (they're actually better than the Boredoms). Then every OOIOO record. Then every Hanadensha record. Then every Rovo record. Then every Psycho Baba record. Then any solo works by Yoshimi or Seeiichi Yamamoto. Then, you can go and listen to the early Boredoms stuff and understand its brilliance a bit better. Though really, the later stuff is where they're "godhead"..........

Do all that then come back to this thread in a few years..

Seriously, I've been listening to Boredoms plus their offshoot bands religiously for at least the last 6 years and I still haven't even heard half of the amazing shit they've done. I'm discovering shit all the time I'd never know about, like Novo Tono for example -- how the fuck did that escape me? It's all really good shit, you can't really go wrong.

As for "other Japanese acts", that's a bit vague eh? Oh well. Here are some acts I really love and some I don't love AS much but still dig (this is an incomplete list, and I've excluded a LOT of bands that I only maybe like one or two songs by), I'm not going to include stuff like Afrirampo, Boris, Acid Mothers, Melt Banana, etc. because they're really well-known here:

SHIT THAT ROCKS AND IS ESSENTIAL!:
blam honey [one of the weirdest bands I've ever heard; if Nine Inch Nails were good and made by someone who hates music or something -- brilliant!]
bleachmobile [also known as Bleach'03; AMAZING]
bloodthirsty butchers [their early stuff sounds like Fugazi]
coaltar of the deepers [careful; one of their albums is J-Pop, one is J-Pop death metal, and the rest explore shoegaze or kraut rock -- very eclectic band]
gaji [like a Japanese Jesus Lizard obsessed with harmonics -- essential!]
limited express (has gone?)
luminous orange
number girl [one of my all time favorite bands; they're my user icon...]
ogre you asshole
super junky monkey
toddle
vola & the oriental machine

SHIT THAT ROCKS BUT ISN'T ESSENTIAL:
9mm parabellum bullet
art-school
bandwagon
boom boom satellites
bugy craxone
nico touches the walls
the pillows [not a huge fan, but lots of people are, so..]
plastic tree [early stuff]
red bacteria vacuum
sloth love chunks
sparta locals [sound like At the Drive-In]

SHIT THAT KINDA ROCKS AND IS KINDA ARTY:
brilliant green
ex-girl
fujifabric
mo'some tonebender
quruli

SHIT THAT'S BLEEPY, BOUNCY, ETC BUT PROBABLY, UH, "ROCKS"!:

cali-gari
metronome
polysics
spoozys
supercar [early stuff]

REALLY FUCKING GREAT J-POP:
capsule
coltemonikha
electric tomato
mac monald duck eclair
motocompo
pena
plus-tech squeezebox [craziest band EVER; like Mr. Bungle doing J-Pop]

POST-ROCK/MATH ROCK TYPE SHIT:
mono
world's end girlfriend
zazen boys [essential!]

AVANT-GARDE/FOLK/NOISE TYPE STUFF:
all boredoms related bands
abe kaoru
aki onda
ami yoshida
angel in heavy syrup
aube
brain police
broomdusters
c.c.c.c.
captain trip
chie mukai
chu ishikawa [does the music for Tsukamoto films -- great stuff!]
ché-shizu
contagious orgasm
cornelius
doping panda
dowser
dumb type
flower travellin' band
fushitsusha
gerogerigegege
ghost [I guess they're fairly well known now, but...]
go hirano
high rise
hijokaidan
hiroaki mizutani
hiroshi nar
hiroshi shiotani
hoppy kamiyama
ikue mori [was the drummer of DNA; "Hex Kitchen" is ESSENTIAL!]
kazuki tomokawa [acid folk singer; one of my all time favorite musicians, if you care...]
k.k. null
keiji haino [duh?]
kozo inada
lsd march [excellent; one of my favorite bands as well]
mainliner
marble sheep
masami tada
merzbow :)
michiyo yagi
minor coffee shop
musica transonic
naoki zushi
novo tono
nobukazu takemura [another artist who varies in range quite a bit; I prefer his more ambient stuff]
otomo yoshihide
overhang party
oz disc
phew
pinakotheca
reiko kudo
ryoji ikeda
sachiko m.
sawako
seiji nagai
taj mahal travellers
tenko
tetsuo furudate
tokyo kid brothers
tokyo rockers
toshimaru nakamura
tujiko noriko
violent onsen geisha
white heaven
yamazaki maso
yoshida tatsuya
yoshizawa motoharu
zero gravity

That's all I can think of right now, I'll update this if I think of more. I know I'm definitely leaving out some good Japanese IDM/glitch artists, but I dunno if anyone here really cares about that shit besides me.... hmph.

king_buzzo 01.22.2008 03:53 PM

holy shit! is there anything you don't know ???

thanks btw.

Bollocks_to_Pop 01.22.2008 04:02 PM

I was going to start a thread asking what Boredoms cd to start with a couple of days ago, but then I just ordered Vision Creation Newsun and Seadrum/House of Sun because I heard some tracks online and it sounded amazing.

fugazifan 01.22.2008 04:19 PM

i belive that thre is ne band that ASP forgot, that have an album that i really dig. xinlisupreme-murder license
it is pretty awesome.
and if it was mentioned, my apologies

racehorse 01.22.2008 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
..........................you've opened up a can of worms. I feel the urge to make a ridiculously long list that no one will care about.......

First you listen to "Chocolate Synthesizer", "Super AE", then "Vision Creation Newsun". Then, you listen to every Omoide Hatoba record (they're actually better than the Boredoms). Then every OOIOO record. Then every Hanadensha record. Then every Rovo record. Then every Psycho Baba record. Then any solo works by Yoshimi or Seeiichi Yamamoto. Then, you can go and listen to the early Boredoms stuff and understand its brilliance a bit better. Though really, the later stuff is where they're "godhead"..........

Do all that then come back to this thread in a few years..

Seriously, I've been listening to Boredoms plus their offshoot bands religiously for at least the last 6 years and I still haven't even heard half of the amazing shit they've done. I'm discovering shit all the time I'd never know about, like Novo Tono for example -- how the fuck did that escape me? It's all really good shit, you can't really go wrong.

As for "other Japanese acts", that's a bit vague eh? Oh well. Here are some acts I really love and some I don't love AS much but still dig (this is an incomplete list, and I've excluded a LOT of bands that I only maybe like one or two songs by), I'm not going to include stuff like Afrirampo, Boris, Acid Mothers, Melt Banana, etc. because they're really well-known here:

SHIT THAT ROCKS AND IS ESSENTIAL!:
blam honey [one of the weirdest bands I've ever heard; if Nine Inch Nails were good and made by someone who hates music or something -- brilliant!]
bleachmobile [also known as Bleach'03; AMAZING]
bloodthirsty butchers [their early stuff sounds like Fugazi]
coaltar of the deepers [careful; one of their albums is J-Pop, one is J-Pop death metal, and the rest explore shoegaze or kraut rock -- very eclectic band]
gaji [like a Japanese Jesus Lizard obsessed with harmonics -- essential!]
limited express (has gone?)
luminous orange
number girl [one of my all time favorite bands; they're my user icon...]
ogre you asshole
super junky monkey
toddle
vola & the oriental machine

SHIT THAT ROCKS BUT ISN'T ESSENTIAL:
9mm parabellum bullet
art-school
bandwagon
boom boom satellites
bugy craxone
nico touches the walls
the pillows [not a huge fan, but lots of people are, so..]
plastic tree [early stuff]
red bacteria vacuum
sloth love chunks
sparta locals [sound like At the Drive-In]

SHIT THAT KINDA ROCKS AND IS KINDA ARTY:
brilliant green
ex-girl
fujifabric
mo'some tonebender
quruli

SHIT THAT'S BLEEPY, BOUNCY, ETC BUT PROBABLY, UH, "ROCKS"!:

cali-gari
metronome
polysics
spoozys
supercar [early stuff]

REALLY FUCKING GREAT J-POP:
capsule
coltemonikha
electric tomato
mac monald duck eclair
motocompo
pena
plus-tech squeezebox [craziest band EVER; like Mr. Bungle doing J-Pop]

POST-ROCK/MATH ROCK TYPE SHIT:
mono
world's end girlfriend
zazen boys [essential!]

AVANT-GARDE/FOLK/NOISE TYPE STUFF:
all boredoms related bands
abe kaoru
aki onda
ami yoshida
angel in heavy syrup
aube
brain police
broomdusters
c.c.c.c.
captain trip
chie mukai
chu ishikawa [does the music for Tsukamoto films -- great stuff!]
ché-shizu
contagious orgasm
cornelius
doping panda
dowser
dumb type
flower travellin' band
fushitsusha
gerogerigegege
ghost [I guess they're fairly well known now, but...]
go hirano
high rise
hijokaidan
hiroaki mizutani
hiroshi nar
hiroshi shiotani
hoppy kamiyama
ikue mori [was the drummer of DNA; "Hex Kitchen" is ESSENTIAL!]
kazuki tomokawa [acid folk singer; one of my all time favorite musicians, if you care...]
k.k. null
keiji haino [duh?]
kozo inada
lsd march [excellent; one of my favorite bands as well]
mainliner
marble sheep
masami tada
merzbow :)
michiyo yagi
minor coffee shop
musica transonic
naoki zushi
novo tono
nobukazu takemura [another artist who varies in range quite a bit; I prefer his more ambient stuff]
otomo yoshihide
overhang party
oz disc
phew
pinakotheca
reiko kudo
ryoji ikeda
sachiko m.
sawako
seiji nagai
taj mahal travellers
tenko
tetsuo furudate
tokyo kid brothers
tokyo rockers
toshimaru nakamura
tujiko noriko
violent onsen geisha
white heaven
yamazaki maso
yoshida tatsuya
yoshizawa motoharu
zero gravity

That's all I can think of right now, I'll update this if I think of more. I know I'm definitely leaving out some good Japanese IDM/glitch artists, but I dunno if anyone here really cares about that shit besides me.... hmph.

my word. that's a comprehensive list if ever i saw one.
do you have pictures of your record collection? it must take up at least a couple of rooms!

Toilet & Bowels 01.22.2008 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racehorse
my word. that's a comprehensive list if ever i saw one.
do you have pictures of your record collection? it must take up at least a couple of rooms!

more likely he's spent a lot of time on soulseek or copied and pasted from wikipedia

Everyneurotic 01.22.2008 07:06 PM

adam forgot kaoru abe, masayuki takayanagi (both are free jazz), kousokuya, suishou no fune, pain jerk, kenji siratori (some) and up-tight; all which i recommend and rank highly.

the ikara cult 01.22.2008 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drrrtyboots
Boredoms sound like absolutely no one else and asking for Japanese music is like asking where to start with American music.

Start with either Pop Tatari or Chocolate Synthesizer if you want some crazier, spontaneous noise or if you want godly sun worshipping goodness get Vision Creation Newsun or Super Ae.

I only listened to Pop Tatari and Chocolate Synthesiser, and both are completely bananas, so maybe the other albums mentioned before are the best to start with

batreleaser 01.22.2008 08:19 PM

god fucking damn you atsonicpark, at least save some bands for me to reccomend haha.

but you didnt say FUCK ON THE BEACH; japanese hatethrashcore.

batreleaser 01.22.2008 08:20 PM

and for captain obvious, melt banana.

batreleaser 01.22.2008 08:21 PM

and ruins

batreleaser 01.22.2008 08:50 PM

fuck you said melt banana

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 01.22.2008 08:57 PM

Toshinori kondo, avant-garde jazz, jazz fusion, ambient esque

Everyneurotic 01.22.2008 09:01 PM

gauze
lipcream
confuse
nightmare
die you bastard!
mortalized
deathless muss
s.o.b.
coffins
rose rose

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 01.22.2008 09:05 PM

Oh yeah

GISM a hardcore punk band with metal tendencies.

Everyneurotic 01.22.2008 09:13 PM

yeah, g.i.s.m. are great.

most japanese hardcore bands have metal tendencies without delving too into the genre defining parts of metal.

sonicl 01.23.2008 02:15 AM

So, buzzo now knows the name of every single Japanese band except Shonen Knife. But which ones is he supposed to buy? :rolleyes:

atari 2600 01.23.2008 02:17 AM

oh, wow, like totallyu japanese, man

but erm,

OOIOO and Afrirampo
are all you need to now
for the right now
flow

okay, another shit post.
but shit man if you be checkin' out the archives with the Bore that's cool too..

_slavo_ 01.23.2008 02:35 AM

OOIOO yes, most defitely. I love them girls.

stu666 01.23.2008 02:57 AM

this excellent torrent was put up on dime recently

OOIOO 2007-03-26 San Francisco (AUD/FLAC) by michaelz

sun city girl 01.23.2008 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the ikara cult
I only listened to Pop Tatari and Chocolate Synthesiser, and both are completely bananas, so maybe the other albums mentioned before are the best to start with

chocolate synthesizer is great, but the best boredoms album is soul discharge '99 so i recommend that. from the later ones super aR is best.

sarramkrop 01.23.2008 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by king_buzzo
what should i start with boredoms?

reccomend some other japanese shit.

booooboboobobob.

I recommend you start using the search function. Duh!

sun city girl 01.23.2008 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
kenji siratori

start from here

jonathan 01.23.2008 05:05 AM

I don't know shit about the Japanese scene, but I do know that I have been enjoying the shit out of

Les Rallizes Denudes.

Fans of Sonic Youth and the spaciest space rock in space will definitely appreciate it.

Phlegmscope 01.23.2008 05:16 AM

Yellow Magic Orchestra.

Other stuff is for pussies.

atsonicpark 01.23.2008 06:42 AM

Again, I didn't list the really obvious ones, like RUINS and Afrirampo, since those are all fairly well-known in America, but I really should have mentioned xinlisupreme. They're like Big Black drum machines meets my Bloody Valentine guitar roars with Merzbow doing the mixing or something. I wonder if they will release anything else. That band I mentioned, Blam Honey, does some similiarly cool stuff.

GISM are hilarious; I saw a show of theirs once online at a school. Fucking grand stuff.

I would've probably listed Fuck on the Beach but I forgot they were Japanese :)

Yellow Magic Orchestra, I heard everything they've done up to a certain point. It wasn't my thing exactly, though it had its moments. Like a synthesizer orchestra with some robot rock as well. I much prefer Denki Groove for that extended 80's electronic sound.

I also forgot to list some more obvious stuff like P-Model and Skyfisher.

Regarding my CD collection: I do have a huge CD collection, I don't really own any non-noise records, and I have 40 whole 100 CD-R case spindles completely filled with CD's (and sometimes I'll put 2 or 3 CD's by the same or similiar bands on the same CD-R, if room permits), and I'm pretty well-acquainted with them all. Keep in mind that I've probably heard 80% of what Tzadik has put out that WASN'T released by John Zorn.

But I didn't copy and paste anything from wikipedia -- hell, I don't think wikipedia even has any info about 75% of the bands I mentioned! I listed all those bands straight from my memory, what good it does me, who knows, because tomorrow everyone will still be like "fuck atsonicpark the asshole".

As for what CD's should be bought in the Japanese market, that's why I tried to list some essentials. Personally, some of my ALL-TIME favorite CD's to come from Japan are.. Number Girl - School Girl Distortional Addict, Bloodthirsty Butchers - Lukewarm Wind, Omoide Hatoba - Black Hawaii, OOIOO - Green and Gold, Boredoms - Vision Creation Newsun, Sparta Locals - Sun Sun Sun, Gaji - Ten to Ten Past Ten, and Limited Express (Has Gone?) - Makes You Dance. So, buy those first.

sarramkrop 01.23.2008 06:57 AM

Just out of curiosity: how do you find the time for listening to this continous parade of obscure names' records and form such a precise opinion about them? I'm just curious because it generally can take me weeks, months or even years to properly get certain records, so it seems like quite the miracle that you are performing, there.

atsonicpark 01.23.2008 07:08 AM

I listen to music all day, every day. I find the time. When I'm at the computer, when I'm driving (and I drive a LOT; I live in the country, but my job is 20 minutes into town, and I pick up some people on the way and take them to work for carpool; by the time I get home, I've already listened to probably 2 hours of music), on my lunch break, when I sleep, when I play video games, if I'm watching silent films or art films I'll put music in over top, when hanging out with my girlfriend, when I'm jacking off, etc. Pretty much every waking moment and some sleeping moments (though, obviously, I mainly fall asleep to stuff like Stars of the Lid). I must have a good musical memory, because I can listen to something only once or twice and tell you tons of things about it, though obviously CD's that really strike me as a curiosity I listen to more than that. I listen to every CD I have AT LEAST twice, though.

The only time I'm not listening to is when I'm creating it.

And I'm not sure if I really named too many "obscure" artists, probably 75% of them are fairly well-known, just maybe not on this board. Keep in mind that I've been listening to some of these artists since I was in 8th grade (9 years ago). Personally, I don't feel I've even heard that much yet, I'm just scratching the surface, and I always want more. I've been burnt out a few times, I'm taking a little break from music for a few days, but yeah.

Also, when downloading music, I'll just type in a band's name (usually something obscure, sure), and I'll browse the user lists of people sharing that band and I'll download stuff I've never heard of, just queue up a few albums you know. So, my music listening has bit a bit random for many years, but I think I'm decently knowledgable to songs on records and it's easy for me to form opinions of them. Something I realized a long time ago is that 99% of records released aren't great. But it's no greater feeling than finding the great ones.

atsonicpark 01.23.2008 07:22 AM

Yeah, I stopped reading musical magazines about 6 or 7 years ago, when Alternative Press started becoming terrible. I'd read the Wire, but it's a bit expensive to get it here I think.

I do download a lot of shit from blogs though, mainly mutant sounds.

Um.. I don't know if I'm that knowledgable about stuff, but I'm knowledgable on the subjects that interest me. Start a "reccomend me free jazz" thread and I won't have near as many reccomendations.. not because I don't like it, I just.. you know. Japanese music interests me more than most genres. (besides, maybe, surf rock )

sarramkrop 01.23.2008 07:26 AM

Some interesting points, atsonicpark. And sweet Nefeli, that happens to me a lot after I take time to binge on music listening. I might like a record a lot, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I will recall having listened to it afterwards. An alarming example is when someone mentioned Circle on this forum and they got me excited about this band which I thought I had never listened to before. I was wrong and not only I had heard a couple of tracks by them something like nearly two years before, but it turns out that I even sampled them on a piece of music that I had been working on at the time.

thewall91 01.23.2008 07:43 AM

Atsonicpark does not know it all. How could he leave off Japanese hair metal group Loudness?

ROCK'N'ROLL CRAZY NIGHTS...
YOU ARE THE HEEEERO TONIGHT

Saint_Huck 01.23.2008 08:04 AM

Gosh, atsonicpark, you know loads of japanese stuff, impressive. Thanks for the recommendations, slsk is working already... my 5 fave ones are Les Rallizés Denudés, Keiji Haino (solo work/Fushitsusha/collabs with Bailey, Toshida), High Rise, OOIOO and Masayugi Takayanagi. Although there are loads that I haven't heard, right now I'm listening to Tomokawa Kazuki and I'm getting a really positive impression.

Anymore recommendation of folkier/blues-roots japanese stuff? Not psychedelica-collective kinda Ghost, more structured singer-songwriter.

Btw: Last Week I bought thourgh the internet "Japrocksampler", I'm eager to take a read to it, has anyone got to read the book?

the ikara cult 01.23.2008 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
And I'm not sure if I really named too many "obscure" artists

You and Everyneurotic seem to have a reference list as long as your arm whenever someone posts something about a band though. Its all good of course because youre more trustworthy than the NME or Pitchforkmedia, being a fan. But sometimes something has merit but isnt worth mentioning... i dunno, i dont make music so i dont know about how things sound from that perspective.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 01.23.2008 10:09 AM

My problem with japanese acts atleast is I can't remember how to fucking spell the shit.

sarramkrop 01.23.2008 10:12 AM

You should read the posts on Japanese music messageboards and see for yourself what they think about non-Japanese names. Not very pleasant.