Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Severian's electronic music gastropub (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=114509)

demonrail666 09.26.2018 09:40 AM

An oldie but it still seems ahead of its time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9BCsiUY348

The Soup Nazi 11.26.2018 08:32 PM

From Bandcamp Daily:

A Guide to 15 Years of RVNG’s Artfully Curated Electronics

Severian 11.26.2018 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi

Thanks!

Severian 12.28.2018 07:48 PM

FAVORITE ELECTRONIC ALBUMS, 2018:
1. DJ Koze - “Knock Knock”
2. A.A.L. (Against All Logic AKA Nicolas Jaar) - “2012-2017”
3. Mouse on Mars - “Dimensional People”
4. RP Boo - “I’ll Tell You What!”
5. DJDS - “Big Wave More Fire”

Honorable mentions:
Jon Hopkins - “Singularity”
Autechre - “NTS Sessions”
SOPHIE - “OIL OF EVERY PEARL’S UNINSIDES”
Objekt - “Coccoon Crush”
Thom Yorke - “Suspiria” (Music from the Luca Guadagnino Film)
Aphex Twin - “Collapse” EP

Bytor Peltor 12.30.2018 10:44 PM

I’ve been off work the last eleven days and I’ve been listening to all sorts of stuff, believe some of you will enjoy this side of a mixtape:

NIL - Content Metastasis #1 Mixtape (unbridged)......29:15 minutes

Bytor Peltor 01.06.2019 10:22 AM

Starts off a little, meh......quickly morphs into something spectacular:

S R T V - The Future Mix

GravitySlips 02.02.2019 05:39 PM

Can anyone recommend something similar to Tim Hecker's Harmony in Ultraviolet or An Imaginary Country?

I've listened to all his records and like/love most of em, but those two in particular. I tried a Ben Frost album but wasn't too enamoured - maybe it was the wrong one?

Severian 02.02.2019 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GravitySlips
Can anyone recommend something similar to Tim Hecker's Harmony in Ultraviolet or An Imaginary Country?

I've listened to all his records and like/love most of em, but those two in particular. I tried a Ben Frost album but wasn't too enamoured - maybe it was the wrong one?

AURORA is the Ben Frost album to listen to.

I’ve been given shit here before about it by cooler-than-thou pissants who don’t know shit. It’s a great, caustic, calamitous, noisy polar vortex of an album that just fucking sucks you right in. It’s the best thing he’s done, and one of the few things about 2014 that didn’t suck.

Definitely a similarity or two to be found between AURORA and the Hecker records you mentioned, though YMMV.

Hopefully that’s not the one that didn’t do it for you.

GravitySlips 02.03.2019 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
AURORA is the Ben Frost album to listen to.

I’ve been given shit here before about it by cooler-than-thou pissants who don’t know shit. It’s a great, caustic, calamitous, noisy polar vortex of an album that just fucking sucks you right in. It’s the best thing he’s done, and one of the few things about 2014 that didn’t suck.

Definitely a similarity or two to be found between AURORA and the Hecker records you mentioned, though YMMV.

Hopefully that’s not the one that didn’t do it for you.

Thanks, that's not the Frost album I'd heard - looking back I think it was Solaris. Didn't have that noisy, hazy sound of the Hecker records, which is maybe to be expected as it's more of a "conceptual" album I guess. It was pleasant enough but wasn't really what I was after...

AURORA sounds more promising, thanks!! I'll throw it on today.

Severian 02.03.2019 11:00 AM

Quote:

Thanks, that's not the Frost album I'd heard - looking back I think it was Solaris. Didn't have that noisy, hazy sound of the Hecker records, which is maybe to be expected as it's more of a "conceptual" album I guess. It was pleasant enough but wasn't really what I was after...

AURORA sounds more promising, thanks!! I'll throw it on today.

The thread of melody is a bit more difficult to find than with Hecker. And the noise is pretty extreme at times. It really sounds like someone just going the fuck to town on a giant instrument he made in his metal shop.

But it’s pretty goddamn glorious if you’re into that kind of thing. There are these little moments of clarity that blossom out of the noise and make for a really thrilling listen, in my opinion.

Hope you like

The Soup Nazi 02.13.2019 03:09 PM

See http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showpost.php?p=1373990&postcount=90 :)

choc e-Claire 03.05.2019 02:23 PM

I missed this then, but: https://www.factmag.com/2019/02/01/a...ings-released/

Goddamn Booth and Brown certainly love overkill.

GravitySlips 03.09.2019 04:40 PM

Quote:

The thread of melody is a bit more difficult to find than with Hecker. And the noise is pretty extreme at times. It really sounds like someone just going the fuck to town on a giant instrument he made in his metal shop.

But it’s pretty goddamn glorious if you’re into that kind of thing. There are these little moments of clarity that blossom out of the noise and make for a really thrilling listen, in my opinion.

Hope you like

Takes a while for these sorts of albums to fully "sink in" but I've listened to AURORA a lot recently, particularly while working. I like it a lot, so thanks! Much more akin to what I was looking for than the other album I'd heard by him.

Also saw in the Swans thread that Ben Frost is going to be on their upcoming album. Pretty cool.

Severian 03.09.2019 08:19 PM

Quote:

Takes a while for these sorts of albums to fully "sink in" but I've listened to AURORA a lot recently, particularly while working. I like it a lot, so thanks! Much more akin to what I was looking for than the other album I'd heard by him.

Also saw in the Swans thread that Ben Frost is going to be on their upcoming album. Pretty cool.

:o :o :o

Ffffffuck.

!!!

The Soup Nazi 03.12.2019 12:40 AM

Hey Snooperian, Holly Herndon's new album features Jlin on one track, "Godmother", and you can hear it via Bandcamp right now:

http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...&postcount=119

Also, why are you "embarrassed" that Frost is gonna be on the new Swans album? (Not that I care about Swans, really). Did you choose the wrong smilies? Or is it because you hadn't read about it before? If it's the latter, yeah, no shit, you missed Skuj's post from March 4. Goddammit man, we work hard over at the "Best new/most anticipated" thread! Which you started! Fuck you, Snooperian!

The Soup Nazi 04.26.2019 12:12 AM

Quote:

FAVORITE ELECTRONIC ALBUMS, 2018:
1. DJ Koze - “Knock Knock”

Hey, this album features Lambchop's Kurt Wagner. Why didn't you say so? :)

Severian 04.26.2019 07:32 AM

Quote:

Hey, this album features Lambchop's Kurt Wagner. Why didn't you say so? :)

Yup, on “Muddy Funster.”

Is that what I had to say to get literally anyone to listen to my Koze recs after six years of posting them?

Severian 04.26.2019 07:33 AM

Quote:

Hey Snooperian, Holly Herndon's new album features Jlin on one track, "Godmother", and you can hear it via Bandcamp right now:

http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...&postcount=119

Also, why are you "embarrassed" that Frost is gonna be on the new Swans album? (Not that I care about Swans, really). Did you choose the wrong smilies? Or is it because you hadn't read about it before? If it's the latter, yeah, no shit, you missed Skuj's post from March 4. Goddammit man, we work hard over at the "Best new/most anticipated" thread! Which you started! Fuck you, Snooperian!

Yah, I didn’t know about it, ‘cha cunt.

The Soup Nazi 04.27.2019 07:45 PM

Quote:

Yah, I didn’t know about it, ‘cha cunt.

See, this is how one replies to an evidently humorous post. :cool: Positively positive-repped.

The Soup Nazi 05.02.2019 10:47 PM

A bit on Fennesz's Agora on Bandcamp Daily:

Quote:

A fascinating and meditative record, Agora pairs the usual minimalist compositions of drone with a unique auditory palette. Fennesz often uses lo-fi textures here, likely a result of the stripped-back bedroom gear utilized in the making of the album. Though the tracks often remain consistent through sustained pad synths, background sound effects and lead layers add tremendous depth to the project. Fennesz's bio describes himself as "anything but sterile," an assessment I agree with. Although the main leads often remain consistent throughout the tracks, the sound is alive. With its synthesized elements constantly changing, Agora's often crunchy and high-pitched mix works in its favor of creating an album strangely reminiscent of the unpredictability of, for instance, a tornado. The last track is the record's high point. Opening with a subdued distorted guitar strum layered with lush pads, "We Trigger the Sun" builds to a euphoric climax, a frenzy of analog bass notes, metallic lead overtones, muffled percussive hits, and bursts of synth chords. (-Ari Delaney)