Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

NYCgaf16 11.11.2019 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuhb
Yesss

I got myself into pavement by the way

!@#$%! 11.11.2019 01:23 PM

been on a johnny thunders kick all morning

right now:

!@#$%! 11.12.2019 04:09 PM

was listening the other day to the (new to me) yo la tengo album from last year

super mellow, so much so at times it veers into ambient (but it’s not all ambient).

there’s no riot here. for me definitely a late night album

Genteel Death 11.13.2019 05:55 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aU_eiqR__I

NYCgaf16 11.13.2019 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
was listening the other day to the (new to me) yo la tengo album from last year

super mellow, so much so at times it veers into ambient (but it’s not all ambient).

there’s no riot here. for me definitely a late night album

You may also like pavement!

!@#$%! 11.13.2019 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCgaf16
You may also like pavement!

i actually cant stand them hahaha. ok maybe that’s an exaggeration but yeah. not my bag. they have many fans on this board though

oh, you said elsewhere youre not interested in 60s 70s classic rock shit, but this album might make you laugh your ass off anyway

i love that thing. so funny...

The Soup Nazi 11.13.2019 07:01 PM

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
And I'll get on my knees and pray
WE DON'T GET FOOLED AGAIN...

The Soup Nazi 11.13.2019 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
And I'll get on my knees and pray
WE DON'T GET FOOLED AGAIN...

Of course, I forgot to add...

Meet the new boss
SAME AS THE OLD BOSS...

choc e-Claire 11.14.2019 12:35 AM

choc e-Claire 11.14.2019 01:06 AM

Severian 11.14.2019 08:29 AM

Quote:

i actually cant stand them hahaha. ok maybe that’s an exaggeration but yeah. not my bag. they have many fans on this board though

oh, you said elsewhere youre not interested in 60s 70s classic rock shit, but this album might make you laugh your ass off anyway

Nice

Hey have you heard Fade from 2013? I forget.
That one’s good. Very strong, bleary, fuzzed our, melancholy record. Nice front-to-back listen.

The Soup Nazi 11.14.2019 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Nice

That one’s good. Very strong, bleary, fuzzed our, melancholy record. Nice front-to-back listen.

From Magnet magazine, August 2015:
Exclusive Excerpt: Yo La Tengo Interviewed By Actor Michael Shannon

Quote:

For three decades, Yo La Tengo has been one of the most important, diverse, influential and, well, best bands on the planet. Ira Kaplan, Georgia Hubley and James McNew (along with former member Dave Schramm) revisit their classic Fakebook album on its 25th anniversary with latest LP Stuff Like That There, an odds-and-sods collection of covers, reworkings and new songs. MAGNET had Oscar-nominated actor—and longtime YLT fan—Michael Shannon sit down with Kaplan, Hubley and McNew to talk about their little corner of the world.

Yo La Tengo. "I have it." Along with being one of the most formidable three-pieces in recent rock history, they indisputably have one of the greatest band names, as well. So banal yet exotic; so ethereally ambiguous, capable of embodying optimism and pessimism in equal measure. What do they have? The answers? The solutions? Or some affliction of the soul? All I can say is, after I heard I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One for the first time, they had my undivided attention. This band seems capable of inhabiting so many different realms, despite their claim that they aren't terribly proficient at playing their instruments. On their new release, Stuff Like That There, they present yet another wonderland of popular and obscure covers, the occasional new song and, yes, covers of their own songs, which is where things get really interesting. Because when you listen to the new version of "Deeper Into Movies," you realize you have aged quite a bit since the first version. Not just in years, but miles traveled, thoughts and feelings collected and expelled. And so has the band. And the song you used to rage to is now the song you listen to whilst sitting in your armchair sipping an IPA and staring out the window. And it’s the same song! That's what Yo La Tengo has. I don't know what it's called, but I need it. Recently, I sat down to chat with them. I had no idea what to ask, even though I had been thinking about it for two weeks. So, here it is. —Michael Shannon

^ That's the intro; a good portion of the interview follows. Michael Shannon ROCKS!

EVOLghost 11.14.2019 07:27 PM

Quote:

glad i'm not the only one not into pavement..

EVOLghost 11.14.2019 07:31 PM

listening to this witch mix.

https://www.mixcloud.com/straylandings/0019-witch/

Severian 11.14.2019 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
From Magnet magazine, August 2015:
Exclusive Excerpt: Yo La Tengo Interviewed By Actor Michael Shannon

^ That's the intro; a good portion of the interview follows. Michael Shannon ROCKS!

Damn, Michael Shannon *does* rock :eek:

The Soup Nazi 11.14.2019 10:06 PM

Quote:

Damn, Michael Shannon *does* rock :eek:

He also worships at the altar of Guided By Voices:

The Soup Nazi 11.14.2019 10:36 PM

"I was a huge My Blody Valentine fan. Kevin and I met, and I just adored him. He has an abstract way of speaking that takes you right to the spheres. I gave him The Coral Sea and we sat among all his guitars and pedals at his studio in Camdem. We just trusted each other. We didn't do any practising. Kevin wanted a sofa onstage. During the performance, something happened with one of his pedals and it got louder and louder. I couldn't concentrate, so I threw the book aside and improvised the rest of it. At the end, I just laid down on the sofa and listened to Kevin. He was creating world upon world, taking me to a place where language was obsolete. That evening was an uncompromising merger of rock'n'roll and poetry, and it's one of the things I'm proudest of."

—Smith in 2012 on their performance at the 2005 Meltdown festival, which she curated.

"She curated Meltdown [in 2005] and it was also Robert Mapplethorpe's anniversary, and she had written a poem, The Coral Sea, about him, and she said I'd like to do something. She really liked Loveless. You know, Cat Power was also involved. It was me, Patti and Chan [Marshall] together. They came to my studio and we got chatting and Patti was really inspiring. She said, 'We've already won, we're doing this.' She showed me the book, explained how she liked to go off on tangents and we really connected. I really believed in her.

"I'd stopped using the tremolo arm in 1997. I'd purposely started using envelope filters when I played with Primal Scream [Shields was a touring member of the band between 1996 and 2006 and played on 2000's XTRMNTR and 2002's Evil Heat]. But one of the coolest things that happened with The Coral Sea was that Patti inspired me to start playing guitar again like I used to. We talked about it for three or four hours; we didn't even rehearse. Then I prepared a bunch of guitars, got it all ready to go and just was like, 'OK.'

"Then we did it onstage, in 2005. It was totally improvised. Then a year later, we did more. The second one was way more chaotic. I drowned Patti out, I went way overboard. I was too noisy, and that gave me a kick in the ass. But it was intense, focused on the moment, and then we got a double CD album out of it."

—Shields in 2019.

NYCgaf16 11.15.2019 01:12 PM

Pavement-Brighten The Corners

choc e-Claire 11.16.2019 04:03 AM

choc e-Claire 11.16.2019 05:02 AM

_tunic_ 11.16.2019 07:55 AM

Savage Clone 11.16.2019 11:49 AM

!@#$%! 11.16.2019 04:26 PM

Quote:

Nice

yeah, exactly. they keep mellowing with age haha. in a nice way though. love that band.

choc e-Claire 11.16.2019 09:11 PM

!@#$%! 11.16.2019 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choc e-Claire

not quite the same thing, but of the same era—you’ve heard new order, yes? i know it sounds like a stupid question but you were born this century lol and how should i know. anyway, if you haven’t, listen to a bit of new order.

choc e-Claire 11.16.2019 10:17 PM

I am aware of New Order, but I have never listened to them. I'll keep them in mind for once I keep making my way through this backlog.

!@#$%! 11.16.2019 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
I am aware of New Order, but I have never listened to them. I'll keep them in mind for once I keep making my way through this backlog.

i think i remember you liked joy division?

after ian curtis died the rest of the band added a keyboardist embraced synthesizers became new order

i like them better than joy division (and mvb, lol)

different beast though

Bytor Peltor 11.17.2019 09:10 AM

Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps

Bytor Peltor 11.17.2019 12:22 PM

Chimera Split Two

choc e-Claire 11.17.2019 09:53 PM

Severian 11.18.2019 09:51 AM

Quote:

i think i remember you liked joy division?

after ian curtis died the rest of the band added a keyboardist embraced synthesizers became new order

i like them better than joy division (and mvb, lol)

different beast though

Man, everyone says New Order > Joy Division but I just cannot abide that.

For my dumb, uncultured ass, the band that made Unknown Pleasures & Closer is >>>>

Genteel Death 11.18.2019 10:12 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeBg_HbP69Y

!@#$%! 11.18.2019 10:21 AM

Quote:

Man, everyone says New Order > Joy Division but I just cannot abide that.

For my dumb, uncultured ass, the band that made Unknown Pleasures & Closer is >>>>

i dont know this “everyone” that you speak of. i think there’s a thread about it here actually, and as i recall opinions were divided. who cares though? i mean... i don’t like it because other people like it... anyone who does that is an idiot. i just like what i like and my tastes change with time and that’s life. what’s interesting for me is to hear other people’s explanations.

anyway joy division was a great band, no doubt. but my problem with them now is i can always hear the hangman. i mean this constant drive towards depression and self obliteration that promptly tires me the fuck out.

new order was a great reinvention, and has a much larger output and were in more ways defining of their era. yes they at times made some horrendous unlistenable disco, but their best stuff i can listen to all day in every possible remix and not feel like i drank a bad batch of kombucha and now need medicine.

Genteel Death 11.18.2019 11:08 AM

https://silentist.bandcamp.com/album/chariot-swing

!@#$%! 11.18.2019 12:32 PM

i needed coffee

!@#$%! 11.18.2019 01:18 PM

_tunic_ 11.18.2019 03:51 PM

Joy Division Undercover - 40 years of Unknown Pleasures (1979-2019)
Peter Hook & the Light
Low - Transmission

_tunic_ 11.18.2019 04:22 PM

The Soup Nazi 11.18.2019 10:49 PM

Quote:

Man, everyone says New Order > Joy Division

In a parallel dimension, maybe. First time ever I hear such a thing. :confused:

Genteel Death 11.19.2019 08:17 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8C2Miuwp18