Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Chippy watch. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=37180)

Glice 01.06.2010 12:48 PM

Chippy watch.

Mrs Wah on our road is officially open. She's a trooper, she is. She does two sorts of pies - Clarks and Fleur de Lys. The latter is my favourite. Her battered sausages are not so great though. Her chips seem to have improved in the last 6 months or so as well. I'm not sure if she's got a new supplier or what, but they're proper greasy fuckers, not like the oily little boy penises you get in a lot of Chinese chippies.

Let's talk about your local chippy.

floatingslowly 01.06.2010 12:52 PM

wut

demonrail666 01.06.2010 12:56 PM

apart from being closed today, my chippy, is generally crap. It can just about manage a decent bag of chips (£1.10 small/£1.50 large) and the saveloys (£1.30 each) aren't too bad but the sausages in batter (£1.30) are hideous. I've never trusted them enough to try their fish. Unfriendly staff, too. They insist on putting the vinegar on for you and rarely give more than a few splashes. Crap gherkins too. I usually go to the far superior Broadway Place instead, but not in these conditions.

Glice 01.06.2010 01:04 PM

One thing I found in London, in all the time I was living there was not a single decent chippy I could find. Plenty of decent Indians, kebabbies (and not the '8 pints of mild', back-of-a-van kebabs either) and pretty much everything else, but couldn't find a decent chippy for the life of me.

Meanwhile, at the cultural end of the world (Weston) you can't move for decent chippies.

Pookie 01.06.2010 01:06 PM

No idea if my local is open today. They do lovely fish (I think it's shark judging by the size), but the chips always taste a bit 'heated up' to me.

The only annoyance is that they fry all the fish to order so you have to wait quite a while each time.

Big portions mind. We get two medium fish & chips to share between the four of us and there's plenty left over.

Costs about £9 for two portions. I haven't tried anything else yet (they only opened a couple of months ago), but I've got my eye on a saveloy and pickled egg.

demonrail666 01.06.2010 01:11 PM

I think it might be something to do with being closer to the coast. I always find better chip shops when I'm nearest to the seaside. I don't think this has anything to do with the freshness of the fish just that maybe more inland cities don't have that big a fish culture anymore. Olley's Fish Bar in Borough is about the best I've been to in London. The best I've been to anywhere was in Hastings, although I forget its name.

Derek 01.06.2010 01:15 PM

My local chippy is terrible. Small portions for extortionate prices.

dale_gribble 01.06.2010 01:16 PM

Rob Instigator 01.06.2010 01:41 PM

Never been to a chippy. Never seen a chippy. You got a british pub here in Houston and order the fish n chips and you are gonna pay like $14

floatingslowly 01.06.2010 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floatingslowly
wut

this is where I begrudgingly admit to being jealous.

it's been 20 years since I've had a decent order of fish n chips.

also missing: Vietnamese broasted chicken. okc has the 2nd highest Vietnamese population in the US, and yet, NOTHING.

Glice 01.06.2010 01:49 PM

Oh God, British-themed pubs! That sounds absolutely hideous. Does everyone talk Dick van Dyke cock-er-nee?

Rob Instigator 01.06.2010 01:50 PM

that sux flotx. cuz the viet roasted chicken is fucking amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob Instigator 01.06.2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Oh God, British-themed pubs! That sounds absolutely hideous. Does everyone talk Dick van Dyke cock-er-nee?

anything termed a "pub" in USA is either British themed or actually owned by some brit. Most of them are pure shit, barely better than a Steak & Ale restaurant.

There is one near my house called the Red Lion Pub and it is very cozy. The food is priced so high, but they have a massive selection of beers and it is always full of people speaking in strange brit accents. ;)

demonrail666 01.06.2010 01:55 PM

i've been to some british themed pubs in the US. They're sort of oddly authentic, in that Wetherspoons kind of way.

Glice 01.06.2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
anything termed a "pub" in USA is either British themed or actually owned by some brit. Most of them are pure shit, barely better than a Steak & Ale restaurant.

There is one near my house called the Red Lion Pub and it is very cozy. The food is priced so high, but they have a massive selection of beers and it is always full of people speaking in strange brit accents. ;)

Red Lion - that's a good, authentic name. If I was American, the only appeal I could see of a 'British' pub would be that most American beer tastes like watered-down AIDS, but that's hardly a decent reason. I quite like how everywhere I've been in the world has an Irish bar, and yet I've never seen an Irish bar that anywhere near resembled a bar in Ireland.

Rob Instigator 01.06.2010 02:08 PM

The Irish Bar near my home (and there are actually like 5 of them) looks more like a bar for fans of the Boston Celtics.

knox 01.06.2010 02:13 PM

why would anyone eat
sausages in batter?

my stomach ulcer starts screaming.

demonrail666 01.06.2010 02:14 PM

who says we eat them?

knox 01.06.2010 02:17 PM

I've seen it happen. I've seen things.

Rob Instigator 01.06.2010 02:30 PM

corn dog?