Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   new beck album anounced (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3535)

cryptowonderdruginvogue 06.28.2006 09:25 PM

this khchris person needs to stop typing in huge font, tis gettin on my nerves

luxinterior 06.28.2006 09:28 PM

I don't see humor as a tool primarily used to mask weaknesses or insecurities. Often, humor resonates with me more than observations delivered in a serious tone. Both can be insightful, but only one has ever induced pants-wetting.

atari 2600 06.28.2006 09:34 PM

comedy & tragedy comma baby

interlinked

oh yeah

woo hooo

do I have to bother with a (yet another) clarification?>

Hell no!

thanks for the inPUT

PANCHO villA
Wanted
:
DEAd or ALive

2 A the PM Q

'dat is

finding nobody 06.28.2006 10:34 PM

beck's song "today has been a fucked up day" is almost the same as woody guthrie's "today has been a lonesome day"
but i really dont give a damn. he's payin a great tribute to woody

krastian 06.28.2006 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khchris(original)
Can't be proven, but it was me and a whole lot of people's thoughts when we all heard "Mellow Gold" for the first time.

Maybe, but I think most of the album is "lonesome folk songs" with his fucked up lyrics. I mean, that is clearly HIM coming through. I just think there is a difference from blatantly ripping someone off and some incidental coincidences. They both probably were fans of and interested in the things groups were doing on Def Jam mixed with their own classic rock/punk influences and weird ideas. Basically, they started making music around the same time as each other and I think it's more of a "they were on the same page" kind of a situation than a rip off one.

atari 2600 06.28.2006 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atari 2600

PANCHO villA
Wanted
:
DEAd or ALive

this painting is like the macho version of girl before a mirror
& motherwell, well, he was a picasso fan, so, i rest my case
---
finding nobody,
he dug up woody & leadbelly a good deal...i think that, like bob, beck learned from woody first...i took the robert route

finding nobody 06.28.2006 11:21 PM

in my opinion Leadbelly>Woody
as far as sound anyway. i cant really who was more historically important. but leadbelly is one of my all time favorites.

hey alex 06.29.2006 12:30 AM

Can't we all agree that we're all ripping off cavemen, vikings, and microrganisms. They'll show us all up one day

ANd yes.... guero was aight, hope the new one's tight

Now I wanna listen to pure guavav now.

khchris(original) 06.29.2006 12:40 AM

interesting. beck doesn't rip off ween (even though most thought so at the time), but you guys make the stretch of "U2 RIPPING OFF 'DIRTY BOOTS'"?

um, okay. I think i've heard it all now.

krastian 06.29.2006 12:44 AM

Well I never said that and never got it either.

finding nobody 06.29.2006 12:46 AM

i think all the U2 bashing is bullshit. not everyone here thinks that u2 stole dirty boots.. well, two of us at least

Norma J 06.29.2006 12:49 AM

HAHA, I never heard that before. I don't think that would happen.

porkmarras 06.29.2006 04:47 AM

The songwriter who cried wolf one time too many.

HaydenAsche 06.29.2006 03:28 PM

Quote:

interesting. beck doesn't rip off ween (even though most thought so at the time), but you guys make the stretch of "U2 RIPPING OFF 'DIRTY BOOTS'"?

It uses the same chords.

HaydenAsche 06.29.2006 03:42 PM

You conceded!

TheDom 06.29.2006 04:10 PM

Quote:

You like turquoise?

I like pink. Ween sound like a U2 and a Journey rip off. As you can see, Journey record their first album exactly 3 hours before Pure Guava. Ween liked it so much they decided to rip it off ASAP. If you were around at that time, you would no. I grew up next to Beck and he told me how much he liked Journey. Ween ripped off Journey. I was alive then, and so were other people who think the same thing.

next.

porkmarras 06.29.2006 04:12 PM

Sad.

bytheriver 06.29.2006 04:38 PM

Wow what a grudge match.

Did you know that it wasnt Michael Gondry but Eye of the Boredoms who designed Midnite Vultures cover art, go on check your inlay fact fans.

The only Ween Ive ever heard sounded exactly like The Beatles. But i read somewhere Ween are basically Frank Zappa copyists.

finding nobody 06.30.2006 11:31 PM

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/153...headlines=true

sandwich mulroney 07.01.2006 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDom
You like turquoise?

I like pink. Ween sound like a U2 and a Journey rip off. As you can see, Journey record their first album exactly 3 hours before Pure Guava. Ween liked it so much they decided to rip it off ASAP. If you were around at that time, you would no. I grew up next to Beck and he told me how much he liked Journey. Ween ripped off Journey. I was alive then, and so were other people who think the same thing.

next.

Haha, best post of the conversation.