Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Recent Show Thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1095)

RdTv 04.20.2006 10:28 AM

Recent Show Thread

The non official thread for good or bad recent shows any of us have attended.

RdTv 04.20.2006 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RdTv
The non official thread for good or bad recent shows any of us have attended.

with that in mind I went to the Ab Baars Quartet show last night. Big thumbs up on that one, two sets of europian free jazz renditions of Ellington songs, both popular and obscure.

Last week was Rempis Percussion Quartet: Two drummers, a bassist, saxophonist, and a conglomeration of dynamic, high quality free jazz and avant garde serenity. Also Josephine Foster & The Supposed, this girl has an amazing voice, picture Opera meets Georgia O'hubley from Yo La tengo. Accompanied by her band, playing chilled, melodic bliss, this performance was as refreshing as the spring night that surrounded it.

RdTv 04.20.2006 09:37 PM

hmmm...guess noone has been to any shows lately

HaydenAsche 04.20.2006 09:42 PM

Nope. I am going to A Crash of Rhinos this Saturday. I might be doing a little something opening but I am getting the jitters so I don't know yet.

RdTv 04.20.2006 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
Nope. I am going to A Crash of Rhinos this Saturday. I might be doing a little something opening but I am getting the jitters so I don't know yet.

not familiar with them, what do they sound like?

HaydenAsche 04.20.2006 09:45 PM

www.purevolume.com/acrashofrhinos

Fun Singer-songwriter junk. Goofy as all hell.

Listen to "I am not Nick Davis." It is hot shit.

dietzer123 04.20.2006 10:02 PM

i saw catch 22 on monday night. they're third wave ska of the highest sort

CHOUT 04.20.2006 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaydenAsche

Do it!!!

RdTv 04.21.2006 07:07 AM

this may be douche-esque but heres a good ol selfish *bump*

Onani Nic 04.21.2006 07:26 AM

i saw some japanese sludge bands play the other weekend.

ryokuchi and birushanah where there names.

It was really awesome but insanely loud ina small room, my ears where ringing for a three days. Inspired me to buy ear plugs for the next show i go to.

Also I saw Weird War with kiosk and the holy soul. All three bands where great.

Everyneurotic 04.21.2006 10:57 AM

last show i went was thurston/tom surgal/william winant and as you know, it ruled.

i'm going to see yoshida tatsuya as ruins alone on may 19. it's a fairly big theater where he is playing and got front row center tickets!!!

and still up in the air is xiu xiu, which i'll have to road trip to get there, in june and maybe go see marduk in may i think. depends on my financial state.

Gulasch Noir 04.22.2006 07:46 AM

next show I'll go to will probably be bulbul/kk null on Monday. God, I'm so jealous of all you guys who live in US, UK, Germany, Holland, France, Japan and all the other well-visited countries because of your opportunity to see so many good bands.

It's not only seeing them life, it's also the chance to buy records, posters and t-shirts (without shipping and handling) and maybe even get them signed after the concert!

laserbeard 04.22.2006 12:26 PM

the last shows of note i've seen have been:
Broken Social Scene, who were pretty amazing (all 15 of them)
Akron/Family, who were pretty interesting
and Rammer, who were pretty fucking metal

pao-lino 04.22.2006 12:34 PM

yesterday bught I went at mogwai's concert!
I also met nicfit there.
killer sound-they had put a great audio set, it was excellent.