Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

tw2113 11.09.2023 11:07 PM

Totally Killer https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11426232/

Not sure why, but I'm enjoying this fun time travel/slasher movie

Severian 11.10.2023 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
Totally Killer https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11426232/

Not sure why, but I'm enjoying this fun time travel/slasher movie

Yeah I liked it

Rob Instigator 11.10.2023 10:57 AM

fucking AWESOME

_tunic_ 11.11.2023 03:56 AM

I don't know, didn't like that much. It's not really Robin Hood

I kept having the musical songs in my head from the Mel Brooks version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSUrqiU8Azo

this one is much better

_tunic_ 11.11.2023 03:58 AM

very nice movie

tw2113 12.03.2023 10:57 PM

the original Black Christmas

Cannibal Girls

Severian 12.04.2023 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
the original Black Christmas

Cannibal Girls

Just rewatched the original Black Christmas yesterday. Great movie.

_tunic_ 12.08.2023 11:10 AM

James Bond movies are on continuous repeat on TV over here, but never this one.
It's a weird one, seems like everyone was on heavy magic mushrooms when they filmed it ....
It's on Amzon Prime

_tunic_ 12.09.2023 06:20 AM

great movie, with amazing cast
it's 2.5 hours long but I thought it was too short

Antagon 12.17.2023 09:19 PM

I enjoyed it thoroughly. Great performances by all the main players. It's a classic band of misfits story with a lot of charm and heart. Giamatti and Joy Randolph shine and it's absolutely crazy that this is Dominic Sessa's first film role. He is so confident and authentic in this role.

The script is really well-drafted and the characters are complex. A lot can be read between the lines, there no spoon-feeding. But it also isn't overly obtuse or hazy. The characters feel real. A very atmospheric movie too. Shot digitally, but every care was taken to make it look as film-like as possible - including grain and halation. A lot of the artificial light in the background had those green-ish tints to it that older color filmstock would often produce. The attention to detail was astounding. And all shot in actual locations as well.

choc e-Claire 12.17.2023 11:14 PM

My family's been going through Christmas movies as part of our weekly rotation, since it's the season - Love Actually in the first week of December (which is pleasant enough, even if I was worried it'd make me cry - I've been doing that a lot lately), Violent Night in the second (surprisingly tender and generally fun, although I preferred Cocaine Bear for gratuitously violent recent films), Elf in the third (always outstanding), and this Friday we're watching The Muppet Christmas Carol (possibly the greatest film ever made).

In my own time, though, I watched The Social Network hanging out at a girl's house a few weeks ago, and it's a brilliant film - I respected that there was no build up and it just throws you right into the mess, Eisenberg and (particularly) Timberlake both act really well, the cinematography and score work great together to add to the paranoid vibe throughout. Really compelling, although I admit that some other things took my attention in the last half hour...:rolleyes:

!@#$%! 12.19.2023 08:13 PM

bad santa and brazil are all the holidaze movies i need

actually i can't stand the jonathan pryce character anymore after many years and many rewatches. he's a bit of a bit baby, isn't he? i lose my patience with him.

anyway, i've watched too many movies to count, lately. criterion has a parker posey retrostpective of sorts. some were great, some were a bit shit. josie and the pussycats on criterion? cmon... clockwatchers i didn't like. i was a temp and it was a very different atmosphere. you're supposed to run around jobs while you pursue a more boho lifestyle on the side. temping for permanence... ooof... thn, the house of yes was a bit meh. party girl was absurd but alright as a silly document of the 90s. my favorite one was the two hal hartley ones she was in, henry fool and fay grim, she was great in fay grim. also! the daytrippers was good

i was also rewatching all almodóvar movies on mubi but they took them out at the end of november, fucking bummer. the man is a genius. i was left hanging

oh! for post-christmas, i'll have to watch metropolitan. which is always great

also um fanny and alexander is a great christmas movie if you're into that sort of thing

_tunic_ 01.03.2024 08:06 AM

not a very good movie, but Mel Gibson is enjoyable

Working on a theme, it's still in Progress

#1 is OK, actually already forgot what it's about. Think I've seen it before but long time ago.
#2 I didn't like at all. Possibly because John Woo directed it? stupid story, stupid action sequences, especially the car chases are chasing nothing at all
#3 is much better

Severian 01.06.2024 07:06 AM

M:I 2 is fucking atrocious.

Say what you will about J.J. Abrams but he resurrected the shit out of that franchise with 3.

!@#$%! 01.06.2024 05:04 PM

i had a couple of memorable movies in the spirit of christmas. namely,

the stendhal syndrome. wherein dario argento films his dotter getting rćped by a murderin' preevert at least a good couple of tymes

and

the turin horse

béla tarr's latest? last? final? film. it's fucking hilarious. for me anyway. like if the leningrad cowboys never went america. only fucking worse hahahahahaaaa. i love it

(i know there's the nietzsche excuse. and there's a bit of pseudo nietzschean dialogue in it. but really for me it's about "death, approaches" as rome total war assassins would say)

eta: this film owes a huge debt to chantal akerman's "jeanne dielman...(etc)", btw. at times it's almost a calque/parody of it. he does get more succinct as the days pass though

--

thinking about jeanne dielman makes me want to reread mimesis. one of the few books of literary theory actually worth the time it takes to read it, and then some. it pays back many times

Severian 01.07.2024 07:17 AM

Oppenheimer.

Pretty darn good though perhaps not as amazing as many think.

Could have been at least 30 min shorter.

Still, Nolan is just an excellent filmmaker.

tw2113 01.13.2024 07:56 PM

Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse

Antagon 01.16.2024 05:25 PM

A couple of Trash and B-Movies as presented by MST3K, cause I had their current Forever-athon running in the background from time to time.

tw2113 01.20.2024 10:19 PM

after the surprising anxiety of Frozen, I'm now watching Fall.

If you have fear of heights in general, or freezing, watch neither. Mostly height based.

Beer In Belly 01.25.2024 11:44 AM

Argento's Four Flies on Grey Velvet. This movie is ahead of it's time and features a technology that still hasn't been invented yet. All hail Argento. I will drink a beer for argento and drink a beer for myself while I'm at it

_tunic_ 01.28.2024 04:37 AM

tw2113 02.27.2024 10:04 PM

Lust in the Dust

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089523/