Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Alice in Chain > Nirvana (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1402)

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 04.30.2006 03:13 PM

Alice in Chain > Nirvana

I notice a lot of bands almost, all of them list Nirvana as an influence. But whenever I listen to the radio they sound a lot more like Alice In Chains than anything. The way the meoldies go now and just the way it sounds really overlapped (cant describe it any other way). Nirvana was a lot more simple and repetitive.

Fuck the anti-nirvan threadsters!

finding nobody 04.30.2006 03:14 PM

i seen an interview where the alice in chains guitarist was saying that kurt was horrible guitar player, but a good songwriter

Everyneurotic 04.30.2006 05:21 PM

i do listen to alice in chains more than i listen to nirvana.

every band tries to approximate sounding like aic with an over simplification of their sound (the vocals, some of the heavier guitar riffs, the leads, etc.) but alice in chains are so intricate and layered (like rhys noted) that few if anyone really are influenced to achieve something like what they used to do.

HaydenAsche 04.30.2006 05:23 PM

They both suck!

terminal pharmacy 04.30.2006 05:24 PM

umm everyband? is there only one style of music...

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 04.30.2006 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
umm everyband? is there only one style of music...

sorry i should have said alternative rock bands

krastian 04.30.2006 07:42 PM

Don't you mean Nirvana > Alice In Chains? I agree but I have got into AIC a lot more in the past few years. I didn't really like them when they first came out.

themawt71 04.30.2006 07:53 PM

their 80s metal tendencies get on my nerves. the blusey guitar solos kind of piss me off but some of their stuff i like alot.

IntoTheGroovey 04.30.2006 08:57 PM

I never really got into Alice in Chains for some reason. But Nirvana are kool.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 04.30.2006 09:05 PM

i get the feeling no one read my first post.

mafushkwa 04.30.2006 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheriff Rhys Chatham
i get the feeling no one read my first post.

Seems like it.

But I agree with you alot. It's almost as though every single "hard rock" band on the radio is stealing their riffs from alice in chains, whether it be their emotional moments or their rock out moments (they just add some more speed and a little fake tough guy attitude to it).

Nirvana seems to have influenced...

I think only Nickelback. It's sad.

HaydenAsche 04.30.2006 09:51 PM

Diesel has a mullet????????

W
HITE
TRA
SH

Everyneurotic 04.30.2006 10:13 PM

yeah, it's true.

everyone name drops nirvana and not mention alice in chains but it's more the aic sound that these radio hard rock bands persue

by the way, i think all the nickelbags and stainds and creeds are more into the production of alice, their sounds more than the songs, themes, arrangements, etc., than anything else

Mudride 05.02.2006 01:29 PM

hmm I liked AIC alot when I was like 15, but nowadays I hardly listen to them. Nirvana still randomly gets some plays.
Looks like I'm getting old .....

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 05.02.2006 02:45 PM

my dad was telling me about a show he went to. Alice in chains, megadeth, and some other band. Alice in chains played and got booed off of the stage. This was before they were radio friendly.

soapbars 05.02.2006 02:50 PM

its true,

the only reason i can see these so called rock bands listing nirvana as an influence is that theyre just name dropping cool bands, which is bullshit because its these bands that make me want to eat burger king and read sports illustrated.

Andrés 05.02.2006 09:55 PM

AIC has been my fav band nowadays. Junkhead is such an amazing song!

RockerNino 05.03.2006 02:37 AM

alice in chains are good. unplugged was pretty good. but nirvana rules.