Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   bjork... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=20103)

batreleaser 02.29.2008 07:25 PM

bjork...

ive been listening to bjork again big time these past couple of days. she really is amazing. her records all have the most beautiful textures, atmespheres, beats, everything. not to mention her voice is one of the most beautiful ever, i mean shes gotta be up there with i dunno, aretha franklin for sheer vocal power. my favorite female solo vocalist/performer probably ever, and shes gotta be the best of the last 15 years or so. i was just wondering of those who dig her on this board, whats your favorite alblums by her? i dont think shes had one misstep up untill last year with volta (which sucks, huge dissapointment, it aint terrible but i was expecting it to be one of the best of the year considering its bjork and she had the likes of brian chippendale, timbaland, antony, chris corsano, all those icelandic brass muscianas, just so many great collaborators)

my faves:
homogenic (produced by mark bell of lfo and howie b, huge beats, great lyrics, bjork's vocals one the top of her game, wildly experimental in comparison with earlier works, her best record)/

medulla (way underrated, the whole fucking record is almost made exclusivley from the human voice for fucks sakes! this alblum gets my pic just for sheer idea, without even counting the quality of the tracks)

any other bjork fans in the house?

Pookie 02.29.2008 07:28 PM

She is one of the most consistantly brilliant artists, and very unfashionable. Cue lots of posts telling you how shit she is, and how over-rated, and how she smells like poo.

Pookie 02.29.2008 07:29 PM

I've been a fan incidently, since I bought the first KUKL album (1983?).

Everyneurotic 02.29.2008 07:30 PM

she's awful, she sucks.

HaydenAsche 02.29.2008 07:31 PM

I love Bjork. She's so fly. That bitch is crazy, though. I wouldn't fuck with her.

Pookie 02.29.2008 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
she's awful, she sucks.

Cheeky.

Glice 02.29.2008 07:46 PM

I got Holiday in Europe the other week. That's one of the Kukl records. I was surprised at how much better it was than the Sugarcubes (who had some AMAZING singles). Bjork is a bit to ubiquitous for me to ever remember how good she actually is when I get round to listening to her. But that's definitely my problem.

Death & the Maiden 02.29.2008 07:48 PM

I ordered The Sugarcubes' Life's Too Good a week ago. I'm also interested in the KUKL stuff.

atsonicpark 02.29.2008 08:25 PM

I'm not a huge fan of her albums, but I do like some songs, and I love her videos.I think she's pretty cute.. or was.. I dunno.. she's older now..And her husband (?) Matthew Barney is one of the worst human beings in the history of existence.Her voice is interesting.She's an interesting person... a bit overrated overall but yeah. I'm glad she exists.

batreleaser 02.29.2008 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I'm not a huge fan of her albums, but I do like some songs, and I love her videos.I think she's pretty cute.. or was.. I dunno.. she's older now..And her husband (?) Matthew Barney is one of the worst human beings in the history of existence.Her voice is interesting.She's an interesting person... a bit overrated overall but yeah. I'm glad she exists.

haha, i think its so hilarious how matthew barney is considered either brilliant, or a complete wank off idiot. either way, im glad he reps pig destroyer, dont have any opinion other than that, ive never seen his movies.

Pookie 03.01.2008 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
Cue lots of posts telling you how shit she is...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
she's awful, she sucks.

Quote:

...how over-rated...

Quote:

She's an interesting person... a bit overrated

Quote:

...how ubiquitous...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Bjork is a bit to ubiquitous for me...

Quote:

...and how she smells like poo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
and she smells like she's pooed herself

You people.:rolleyes:

Cantankerous 03.01.2008 02:08 AM

i like bjork. i like the sugarcubes. also, she's pretty in kind of a weird way.

Glice 03.01.2008 07:08 AM

Quote:

Matthew Barney is one of the worst human beings in the history of existence.

It surprises me how you nearly always manage to say something wrong. Are you an internet art project?

atsonicpark 03.01.2008 07:53 AM

No, I'm not, but if I were, my art would still be better than his.

Glice 03.01.2008 08:01 AM

ADHD! ADHD! Nonsense.

Disgruntled Youth 03.01.2008 10:51 AM

ah Bjork I remember when she was in the SugarCubes & when she fucked up that reporter totally awesome. Check for her live dvd's hardly any errors...

Torn Curtain 03.01.2008 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
i was just wondering of those who dig her on this board, whats your favorite alblums by her?

Old thread:
http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...241#post434241

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
my faves:
homogenic (produced by mark bell of lfo and howie b, huge beats, great lyrics, bjork's vocals one the top of her game, wildly experimental in comparison with earlier works, her best record)/

medulla (way underrated, the whole fucking record is almost made exclusivley from the human voice for fucks sakes! this alblum gets my pic just for sheer idea, without even counting the quality of the tracks)

Homogenic is my fave too. I wanted to give Medulla a new listen but I can't find my copy.

Savage Clone 03.01.2008 06:53 PM

Respect? Yes.
Enjoy? Hell no.

Everyneurotic 03.04.2008 12:33 AM

sorry but i've always disliked her.

there was a time when i liked "army of me" but, seriously, it's only half a good chorus and lazy/annoying song/vocals/instrumental/songwriting like 99.9999% of her stuff. seriously, what i don't like about her is how she tries to compensate mediocrity with "excentricity".

krastian 03.04.2008 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Respect? Yes.
Enjoy? Hell no.

That is how I feel. I think I've listened to like 5 of her albums hoping to "find something" in the music that I dig/relate to, but it just ain't happening.