Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   setlists this tour contain less pre NYC ghosts & flowers songs? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=4115)

EyeballGrowth 07.13.2006 02:37 PM

setlists this tour contain less pre NYC ghosts & flowers songs?

Is it true? Just curious

Alex's Trip 07.13.2006 02:56 PM

There is Rather Ripped stuff, and everything else is pre NYCG&F

Rob Instigator 07.13.2006 03:01 PM

I heard Eric's Trip, Shaking hell, Kool Thing

Alex's Trip 07.13.2006 03:02 PM

At the secret show they had all of RR (minus the neutral. It was supposed to be on but they ran out of time) and Catholic Block, Schizo, Eric's Trip, Shaking Hell.

foldback 07.13.2006 03:12 PM

They really haven't touched the actual NYC Ghost & Flowers songs for a few years now.

But anyway, at Bonnaroo, they played "Pattern Recognition," "100%,"
"Shaking Hell" and "Expressway" in addition to the Rather Ripped stuff, so three out of four older songs pre-2000.

flophousefloozie 07.13.2006 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I heard Eric's Trip, Shaking hell, Kool Thing

lucky! i really wanted to hear kool thing. but i did get schizo

noisemachine 07.13.2006 04:40 PM

Pattern Recognition is the only non-pre-NYCG&F song theyve been doing (other than RR of course).

guitarpro 07.13.2006 04:50 PM

Don't forget about Tom Violence & Sunday.

EyeballGrowth 07.15.2006 03:11 AM

that's some pleasing news

Cantankerous 07.15.2006 03:13 AM

how long are the sets?

Daddylikes 07.15.2006 03:16 AM

Hao Long is a chinaman

krastian 07.15.2006 03:20 AM

Seems like most have been under 2hrs....something, ANYTHING different including something off of NYCG&F would be nice. This tour has seemed like the most unsurprising sets we've ever seen....either way it's their band, but we all would love some surprises/variety.

hex object 07.18.2006 02:20 PM

Don't forget Mote.

acousticrock87 07.18.2006 02:33 PM

I would love to hear StreamXsonic Subway live.

Heroic Dose 07.18.2006 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krastian
Seems like most have been under 2hrs....something, ANYTHING different including something off of NYCG&F would be nice. This tour has seemed like the most unsurprising sets we've ever seen....either way it's their band, but we all would love some surprises/variety.

Yeah it's odd ever since their gear got stolen you'd think that anything written after that would get much play live. And just about every tour I've seen since the NYC album, the previous album has zero songs live! Weird, I would have liked to have seen some songs from NYC and Murray and Nurse.

Actually what I would like is SY as a 4 piece again so they can play it all instead of having to teach a new person just enough songs to tour!!

kingcoffee 07.18.2006 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krastian

I agree. I've been looking at a few of the setlists form this tour, and although they have pulled out some gems from their past (Eric's Trip is my biggest surprise) they don't seem to be really putting a lot of variety in their shows. It's practically the same songs every night. A cover of Velvet Underground or something would be a nice change of pace. Anything new, please. Just shake it up a little bit.

skiesfalling 07.18.2006 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingcoffee
I agree. I've been looking at a few of the setlists form this tour, and although they have pulled out some gems from their past (Eric's Trip is my biggest surprise) they don't seem to be really putting a lot of variety in their shows. It's practically the same songs every night. A cover of Velvet Underground or something would be a nice change of pace. Anything new, please. Just shake it up a little bit.

New bassist means learning songs means not much variety. The later the date for the tour, the better, cuz they'll mix in a few more as they learn and go I assume.

BACK TO THE 4PIECE!!!!!!!

kingcoffee 07.18.2006 04:04 PM

Thank God (Hendrix) they're playing near me in September. Hopefully Ibold will get his shit together and learn some new material.

Style 07.19.2006 05:32 AM

It's partially true. When I saw them, I think we got a good mix:

catholic block
100%
Eric's Trip
Sunday
Schizo
Shaking Hell

skiesfalling 07.19.2006 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingcoffee
Thank God (Hendrix) they're playing near me in September. Hopefully Ibold will get his shit together and learn some new material.

I'm sure he is- I already noticed some different songs since they played Austin that didn't seem to be on the setlist before that. Plus he's a great bassist and played phenomenally with the youth! He even played some very nice guitar on a song.