Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rather Ripped Review (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=838)

Soundtrax 04.11.2006 08:33 PM

Rather Ripped Review

Okay, to avoid 1000 threads, write your Rather Ripped Review here when you hear the album, and try not to write much else i would say, or... i dont know, as you wish :)

Inhuman 04.11.2006 08:34 PM

Pin This!

Soundtrax 04.12.2006 05:11 AM

the most pop oriented sonic youth album to date. most songs catchy as fuck. listened to the album once, i know everything by heart already.
sonic youth sound like green day. i dont get why there is so little feedbacks and stuff that sonic youth is known for. no influence of those construction sites really that thurston talked about in that interview... even if there are sonic guitar parts, they are so much in the background... afterall i think it will sound really great stuff live :)

reena - sounds like the songs starts in the middle of the song, cuz it starts with chorus immediately. no sonic guitars
incinerate - yeah, teenage roit 2 with sonic youth 2000 sound. no sonic guitars really
do you believe in rapture - dont like this one very much, kinda slow, but this is where some sonic guitar actually start, with very low volume
yeah,
what a waste it really is a rip off from friends :S and again, weird catchy pop song.
sleeping around sounds like psychic hearts song, kinda very catchy stuff
jams run free - dont know what to say about this one, kinda catchy stuff again
rats - in my opinion the best song on the record. lee really sounds strange. you could also put this song on dirty if you did a little butch vig post production on it.
turquoise boy - kinda cool dreamy stuff, one chord really wants me to sing the 'heather angel' on it, but then the tuning changes in next chord
lights out, the neutral - not sure what to say
pink steam - yeah, kinda okay, sounds like psychic hearts again
or - really an interesting song after all this pop stuff ;) i think no sonic youth song has ever combined acoustic guitar with electric guitar as i can remember

i was mistaking in earlier post...lets discuss the album

sonicl 04.12.2006 06:10 AM

Fuck your review of a leaked copy. I'll wait until the CD is released and find out for myself what it's like, thank you very much.

!@#%$! 04.12.2006 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
Fuck your review of a leaked copy. I'll wait until the CD is released and find out for myself what it's like, thank you very much.

Dude, you rule!

Like a friend of mine always says, "REAL SY FANS BUY THEIR MUSIC!"

Sn@ke 04.12.2006 06:23 AM

haha...a review of a leaked copy in mp3 format on the official forum of the band...awesome.

hebbel 04.12.2006 06:30 AM

the purists have spoken...

Soundtrax 04.12.2006 06:35 AM

if you download the leaked copy, it doesnt mean you won't buy an album when it comes out !!!

noumenal 04.12.2006 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundtrax
if you download the leaked copy, it doesnt mean you won't buy an album when it comes out !!!

yes, but it's just bad manners, man

Soundtrax 04.12.2006 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noumenal
yes, but it's just bad manners, man

i respect your position on this, but it seems like i only have 2 choices - to be bad mannered to badly self torured. i prefer bad manner :)

sonicl 04.12.2006 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundtrax

If SY wanted the album to be available on 12 April, don't you think they'd have released it then, or made it available for download on their myspace page?

Soundtrax 04.12.2006 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
If SY wanted the album to be available on 12 April, don't you think they'd have released it then, or made it available for download on their myspace page?

i guess if the band talks about the new album and tease us for months, they must assume that some die hard fans will want to hear it as soon as possible. to me, sending out advanced promo copies is a release. if they said that their album comes out on december, but you would be able to buy it in a record store in june, would you buy it, or would you wait until so called release date in december? :) 'release date' is a fiction, its the problem of time-space continum :D

Inhuman 04.12.2006 07:08 AM

I think this is fucked. I remember when I got Nurse, and the anticipation was great. I think as far as I'll go with Rather Ripped is the interview with the samples.

pantophobia 04.12.2006 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#%$!
Dude, you rule!

Like a friend of mine always says, "REAL SY FANS BUY THEIR MUSIC!"

or.............

you could download it, see them live, buy the cd, by the vinyl, see them live again, spend thousands to head to england and spend a weekend in minehead with your real life friends, buy a turkey, stuff it, roll it up in a carpet, and throw it off a bridge........ummmm wait thats my plan next time i go back to cali

fishmonkey 04.12.2006 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inhuman
I think this is fucked. I remember when I got Nurse, and the anticipation was great. I think as far as I'll go with Rather Ripped is the interview with the samples.

i take it your not gonna download it then, i'm dont think i will either, what are the samples with interview you are talking about?

Inhuman 04.12.2006 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishmonkey
i take it your not gonna download it then, i'm dont think i will either, what are the samples with interview you are talking about?

On the Air America interview with thurston there were about 6 second sound clips for a few of the songs. They sound great! I can't wait until it's released

sandwich mulroney 04.12.2006 11:12 AM

Well, the music is finished, it's not as though they're hearing something that they're not supposed to; it's just before the label can HAVE the album out.

I see no problem with it, especially because the fans will buy it anyway.

chabib 04.12.2006 11:20 AM

yeah, but when douchebags ask for and share it on this forum, that's just completely stupid.

sandwich mulroney 04.12.2006 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chabib
yeah, but when douchebags ask for and share it on this forum, that's just completely stupid.

I suppose; it's dense to be talking about something illegal more or less directly in front of one of the groups affected by that illegality.

Are you planning to regulate, or appealing to a sense of patience/deceny/etc.?

chabib 04.12.2006 11:30 AM

i'm just letting users know that while i'm relatively laissez faire about things, others are not, and if a user gets in trouble, i'm just gonna laugh at them.