Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   SYR 7 (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=22118)

Sucklechimp 05.28.2008 11:02 AM

SYR 7

Hello all, I am new, this is my first post. I hate this introductory shit. Sonic Youth has been my favorite band for a long time. Their most recent record left me somewhat disheartened, though. NYC Ghosts and Flowers blew me away. Murray Street was even better, an absolute classic record. Nurse was cool; especially Kim's vocals, but I was missing the experimental side of the band. Rather Ripped was great, but it's definitely been the least spun Sonic record for me! I just really couldn't get into it like I have with every other release. I've been a big fan of the Sonic Youth Recordings stuff because it's totally out there and showcases their true artistic nature. I have been listening to SYR 7 for the past couple of weeks, and it has really reinvigorated my love for SY. Not that is had ever gone away by any means, but listening to this record reminds me how groundbreaking this band is and will be until they quit. Even without Jim O'Rourke, who was awesome, and I love SYR 3... but J' Accuse Ted Hughes just makes me fucking giddy! And the fact that they explore ambient terrority in track 2 makes me even giddier. So, hello, and I love all you all.

This Is Not Here 05.28.2008 11:09 AM

Well, sadly SYR 7 isn't a record to rekindle your faith in the band's current direction. Both recordings are from several years ago. J' Accuse Ted Hughes was recorded some 7 or 8 years ago. If anything, SYR 7 pissed me off one hell of alot. It's a great sounding record for sure, but it proves the band's sechedule is so packed they can only find time to record tracks for Starbuck and maybe rush a new album in a few weeks. The dedicated fans (lets face it, those that buy the SYR series are dedicated) get fobbed off with a near decade old recording. They seem to be no longer making music for the love of it, but rather because they have to. Sorry to be negative, but this is sadly what I've come to think.

nicfit 05.28.2008 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
The dedicated fans get fobbed off with a near decade old recording.

fobbed off? are you kidding me? that's an amazing recording man, and "dedicated fans" already knew "j'accuse..."... It just proves that it deserved a proper release along with the agnes b---I don't think they make music "because they have to", or they're"schedule" would not be that packed at all, don't you think? but that's a long story and don't have enough time to post.

that said, welcome to the new boarder!

This Is Not Here 05.28.2008 11:41 AM

As I said, SYR 7 IS an amazing record, yes. All of the SYR series are. But thats not the issue. Is it too much to ask of a relatively recent recording for a new release. Yes, the recordings deserved a proper release, but how about soon after they recorded them. I just think its pretty cheeky giving us the old peices, especially when we're currently in the longest gap between albums for a decade.

noisereductions 05.28.2008 11:46 AM

Quote:

Well, sadly SYR 7 isn't a record to rekindle your faith in the band's current direction. Both recordings are from several years ago. J' Accuse Ted Hughes was recorded some 7 or 8 years ago. If anything, SYR 7 pissed me off one hell of alot. It's a great sounding record for sure, but it proves the band's sechedule is so packed they can only find time to record tracks for Starbuck and maybe rush a new album in a few weeks. The dedicated fans (lets face it, those that buy the SYR series are dedicated) get fobbed off with a near decade old recording. They seem to be no longer making music for the love of it, but rather because they have to. Sorry to be negative, but this is sadly what I've come to think.

I have to disagree. I'm glad they're taking the time to sort through some of their archives for releases like SYR7, 8, THE DESTROYED ROOM and Delux reissues. I don't see how it's a bad thing to shed light on some of the overlooked and forgotten pieces they've worked on over the years. Especially the live tangents such as SYR7 and 8. I don't feel the least bit "fobbed off" or whatever.

This Is Not Here 05.28.2008 11:48 AM

I have the same problem with My Bloody Valentine, the first of their new releases will be Loveless out-takes. But at least they're releasing NEW material in relative proximity to this. Perhaps this is what SY should have done, released SYR7 AND new material.
Anyway, my initial point was SYR 7 is no suggestion of the band's current direction, because it's from ages ago. It's like commenting on Portishead's or another band's current sound judging by unreleased material from 1994.

Sucklechimp 05.28.2008 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
I have to disagree. I'm glad they're taking the time to sort through some of their archives for releases like SYR7, 8, THE DESTROYED ROOM and Delux reissues. I don't see how it's a bad thing to shed light on some of the overlooked and forgotten pieces they've worked on over the years. Especially the live tangents such as SYR7 and 8. I don't feel the least bit "fobbed off" or whatever.

SYR 8? Never heard of it! I just looked it up and now can't wait! Thanks for fucking my mind!!

batreleaser 05.28.2008 11:50 AM

i dont really like syr7 that much, one of my least dug of the syr series.

Sucklechimp 05.28.2008 11:51 AM

Quote:

I have the same problem with My Bloody Valentine, the first of their new releases will be Loveless out-takes. But at least they're releasing NEW material in relative proximity to this. Perhaps this is what SY should have done, released SYR7 AND new material.
Anyway, my initial point was SYR 7 is no suggestion of the band's current direction, because it's from ages ago. It's like commenting on Portishead's or another band's current sound judging by unreleased material from 1994.

Well, I really don't care if they continue on with a less experimental sound. God knows it's better listening to SY than 90% of any other shit. But I know they won't, because they're not that kind of band. At all. Whatever happens, as long as they continue their SYR releases, I'll be happy, regardless of how long ago it was recorded.

nicfit 05.28.2008 11:53 AM

I agree with the last bit of your last post (edit: referred to This Is Not Here last post) (this IS an old recording=not necessarily reflects the present "direction" the band is in) but as noisereductions said I'm glad they're going through their archives to release great stuff. About the gap between albums, with all the touring/side stuff they worked on lately I honestly don't feel much "abandoned" as a SY fan, but I'd like a new proper sy album too, yeah.

greedrex 05.28.2008 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
i dont really like syr7 that much, one of my least dug of the syr series.

ditto:mad:

noisereductions 05.28.2008 12:10 PM

I think SYR7 is (for lack of a better term) dreamy. I like it more than 6.

koolthing78 05.28.2008 01:02 PM

I understand what you mean, This Is Not Here. I'm the same way. I always got upset when an artist's "new" release was something actually very old. Like in the 90's, when it seemed like every track I loved the most off of Liz Phair's "Whipsmart" was actually a remake of something from her Girly Sounds demos. It always left me feeling torn, like it was "the beginning of the end" in terms of their artistic creativity (and in her case it was). That being said, have you checked out Free Kitten's new album? It may not be a proper SY release, but the brilliance of tracks such as "Monster Eye" has me almost wondering who the real musical visionary in Sonic Youth is.

SonicBebs 05.29.2008 09:51 AM

they have just done a pretty big tour playing their most loved (is it? not by me) record from start to finish. Released a live recording with another on the way, done a solo record (thurston) and other projects (kim) too. I dont kinow how you can feel let down by them, or pissed off that you've had to wait for 'new' music.

been pretty busy if you ask me.
if you want to be pissed off, try not having a record player and haveing to guess what SYR7 sounds like

Sucklechimp 05.29.2008 10:15 AM

Man, that's weird - I was just listening to some of Whip-Smart 30 minutes ago and thinking about how cool of a record it is. Dogs of L.A., Shane... Liz was such an amazing songwriter. I disagree with you though, I don't care how old those songs were, or whatever. They are amazing songs! Yes, she completely sucks now... But she really should properly release her Girlysounds stuff. I lost my Juvenalia CD long ago and I want to hear Animal Girl so bad.

RanaldoNecro 05.29.2008 10:19 AM

SY keep releasing stuff that new to you. Whats the big deal. I actually have been super impressed by the band in the last three years...

tasteinmen 05.29.2008 11:39 AM

I like it when bands release older unreleased material, it gives me a sense of what else was going on at the time... You should be greatful SY are constantly releasing stuff, I can't stand it when a band goes through a quiet stage... I wish Placebo would get of their arses and put something out for the fans during this long album gap.

whorefrost 05.29.2008 04:43 PM

it's all relative. time is unreal.

xxlouiisxx 05.29.2008 07:41 PM

Will SYR7 have a CD release soon or in 5 years lol ?

o'connor 05.29.2008 08:59 PM

the only SYR's i enjoy are 1, goodbye 20th century and 7.