Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Another rave for "The Destroyed Room..." (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9771)

endlessly 01.11.2007 05:51 PM

Another rave for "The Destroyed Room..."

A good one, this be.

http://www.transformonline.com/music/reviews/005722.php

greenlight 01.11.2007 06:07 PM

nice review.
thanks.

tesla69 08.28.2007 11:53 AM

a little slow on picking this up and listening to it but this CD is great, much of the tracks were new to me and sound great. The 25 min Diamond Sea is mighty.

atsonicpark 08.28.2007 12:40 PM

it's about as good as a bunch of half-written, tossed-off jams and b-side instrumentals and an alternate taken of diamond sea is going to get.. personally, i don't see why anyone would bother listening to this when they could be listening to number girl - "School girl distortional addict", but who listens to me anyway...

Disgruntled Youth 08.28.2007 01:01 PM

Yeah I got most of that stuff before I don't really why I shelled the loot for this but I guess I wanted to add something else to my collection.

toxic johnny 08.28.2007 02:54 PM

I love it because it feels so random... especially side one and two of the vinyl version. I put it on and didn't check the running order on purpose to let the whole thing wash over me with all of it's twists, turns and surprises. The extended Diamond Sea is a treasure to behold and sounds really sweet earsplittingly loud on vinyl.

Hip Priest 08.28.2007 07:09 PM

The second half storms along very nicely in my opinion.

GrungeMonkey 09.03.2007 12:30 PM

The 25 min Diamond Sea is better than the shorter one n washing machine for me, and makes me wonder - why put on a shorter version when you can just get rid of little trouble girl/panty lies/the nameless instrumental track which is nice but ultimately goes nowhere and is pointless?

atsonicpark 09.03.2007 12:38 PM

if i'm not mistaken, they could have fit the 25 minute version on washing machine without removing the other songs.

JohnEsmoke 09.03.2007 04:15 PM

please don't touch to "little trouble girl" !!! are you crazy ? as far as I'm concern, I think they should have remove "Teenage riot" from Daydream Nation and replace it by a 6-minute-bzzzzzzzzzz at the end of "Providence"
And "Panty lies" is so funny...

Pessimist 09.04.2007 05:03 PM

Loop Cat is awesome. I like that they stripped that one from Karenology.

atsonicpark 09.05.2007 12:06 AM

hm.

*listens to loose fur*

atsonicpark 09.05.2007 12:19 AM

definitely the first one. i wasn't a huge fan of the second one. and.. i never thought about it, but yeah.. it does seem to be a play on "lucifer".

Bal 09.05.2007 06:57 AM

destroyed room is pure gold.
i could'nt live without 'fire engine dream' and '3 sectional love part seat'.
and i know these could be downloaded from the mp3 site in shitty mp3 format...
and there are many other great songs on it!

eatmychild 03.12.2008 11:25 AM

I only just realised Loop Cat is part of Karen Revisited. :o
I was amazed...I don't know why.

But I think TDR is great, and poo-poo to those that say otherwise.

noisereductions 03.12.2008 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
it's about as good as a bunch of half-written, tossed-off jams and b-side instrumentals and an alternate taken of diamond sea is going to get.. personally, i don't see why anyone would bother listening to this when they could be listening to number girl - "School girl distortional addict", but who listens to me anyway...

atsonicpark didn't like an SY album? Shocking.

Personally, I found this record to be one of the best 'odds-n-sods' albums put out in a looong time. Careful attention was paid to track selection & sequencing. Perhaps the best decision was to leave off the millions of "rock song" b-sides out there and instead focus on mostly instrumentals & the more experimental lean. It made more sense seeing as how these sort of comps are designed for hardcore fans rather than the unitiated.

I ended up listening to this album heavily for months. Far more often than the live DAYDREAM bonus disc to be frank. DESTROYED ROOM is solid in my opinion.

noisereductions 03.12.2008 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrungeMonkey
The 25 min Diamond Sea is better than the shorter one n washing machine for me, and makes me wonder - why put on a shorter version when you can just get rid of little trouble girl/panty lies/the nameless instrumental track which is nice but ultimately goes nowhere and is pointless?

I love "Panty Lies!"

noisereductions 03.12.2008 11:35 AM

Quote:

definitely the first one. i wasn't a huge fan of the second one. and.. i never thought about it, but yeah.. it does seem to be a play on "lucifer".

Man, I never picked up the Loose Fur albums. I don't know why I didn't. They were always on my backburner list of stuff to grab, I guess.

Are they Wilco-ish in execution, or...? I'm glad you reminded me though. I should try to hunt those down.

eatmychild 03.12.2008 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions

... Perhaps the best decision was to leave off the millions of "rock song" b-sides out there and instead focus on mostly instrumentals & the more experimental lean...

Exactly, it makes it an interesting & entertaining album in its own right rather than 'what was left over'.

Rob Instigator 03.12.2008 01:31 PM

Quote:

no one