Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

acousticrock87 06.20.2006 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
put words in my mouth

Well if you insist...

Toilet & Bowels 06.20.2006 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i love comic books

i love books

but in a good book the meat is more densely packed-- you can't beat the bandwidth of well-chosen words. in the sense that words can more closely pursue a thought. give me the comic-book equivalent of cervantes & we'll do a comparison. or shakespeare if you prefer dee eenglish.

and it's a shame you can't "persue a thought" from a drawing the same as you would be able to if you had it l i t e r a l l y s p e l t o u t t o y o u

Glice 06.21.2006 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
What T&B said.

What are you some pathetic snob?

Snob, yes. Pathetic, no.

Alright, I don't actually care that T&B reads comics, I was just trying to get a rise out of him. I do think people read comics and attempt to give the process some sort of gravitas and endlessly defend its 'intellectual merit'. Bollocks I say to that. You enjoy something, great. If it's a comic, great. You want to tell me it's intellectual? Then you can fuck off. I'm a snob, I'm a pedant, I'm a studenty twat, but I'm certain that I'm right.

candymoan 06.21.2006 05:11 AM

palahniuk - haunted

beyond the shock value, beautiful insight regarding contemporary life..

Toilet & Bowels 06.21.2006 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Snob, yes. Pathetic, no.

Alright, I don't actually care that T&B reads comics, I was just trying to get a rise out of him. I do think people read comics and attempt to give the process some sort of gravitas and endlessly defend its 'intellectual merit'. Bollocks I say to that. You enjoy something, great. If it's a comic, great. You want to tell me it's intellectual? Then you can fuck off. I'm a snob, I'm a pedant, I'm a studenty twat, but I'm certain that I'm right.

i knew you were getting a rise out of me, it wasn't until other people started chipping in that i got irritated.

i don't care whether they are perceived as intellectual or not, and to be honest i'd prefer that they weren't, it's just when people have this knee jerk reaction that there's something intrinsicly inferior about them that i get vexed. and i don't see why someone like chris ware wouldn't be held in the same esteem as any great author or film maker.

Glice 06.21.2006 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i knew you were getting a rise out of me, it wasn't until other people started chipping in that i got irritated.

i don't care whether they are perceived as intellectual or not, and to be honest i'd prefer that they weren't, it's just when people have this knee jerk reaction that there's something intrinsicly inferior about them that i get vexed.

Yeah, understood entirely. Like I say, whatever floats your boat is ok by me. I just find people defending their tastes in high fallutin' ways really gets my goat. They're not any more inferior than any number of ways to kill time before we die. It doesn't really require any defence.

I maintain you're a spacker though.

Tokolosh 06.21.2006 08:30 AM

I'd like to read something by Noam Chomsky. Any recommendations for a first timer?

candymoan 06.21.2006 08:31 AM

i feel sooooo out of place for bringing up palahniuk...
sorry for the interruption folks..
carry on...

Glice 06.21.2006 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokolosh
I'd like to read something by Noam Chomsky. Any recommendations for a first timer?

Recommendations? Ludwig Wittgenstein. Chomsky is an irritant par excellence, I would heartily recommend avoiding him.

Tokolosh 06.21.2006 08:43 AM

Quote:

Recommendations? Ludwig Wittgenstein. Chomsky is an irritant par excellence, I would heartily recommend avoiding him.

Don't know Wittgenstein. Will check it out. Thanks Glice.
What about Mark Z. Danielewski?
I've heard that House of leaves is a trip.

nomadicfollower 06.21.2006 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokolosh

Politics?
Hegemony or Survival.
His new one, Failed States, looks pretty good. You probably want to get something with the most relevance to now. HIs book on thought control in democracy is intresting, as well.

-Propaganda is to a democratic state as a bludgeoun is to totaltarism-
(
Probably mis-quoted)

I know Chomsky is a linguist, but can he be compared to Wittgenstein?

Glice 06.21.2006 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadicfollower

I know Chomsky is a linguist, but can he be compared to Wittgenstein?

Not really... Wittgenstein is crucial to contempory linguism/ philosophy, and a lot of Chomsky's ideas are reactions against the more European ideas. I can't stand Chomsky, personally... Zizeck has written some very damning papers on him which I would recommend. Basically, there's a lot of inconsistencies in Chomsky's attempt to politicise language. Doesn't hold any water over this side of the Atlantic.

DemonBox 06.21.2006 11:51 AM

Last book I read was by the great Agnar Mykle. The Song of the Red Ruby.
I'll advise you to check it out, he's one of the best norwegian writers ever.
http://www.aheger.com/myklex.jpg

Laila 06.21.2006 11:56 AM

the witching hour thanks to krastian!

krastian 06.21.2006 02:07 PM

Hell yeah....don't fuck with LASHER!!!:D

Gogogonorrhea 06.21.2006 02:47 PM

Noam Chomsky is a Red Khmer admiring (oh wait, didn't they just erase a fifth of the Combodian population within 4 years?), Israel & America to Nazi Germany comparing and poo-poo eating idiot who finds nothing wrong with denying the Holocaust - Chomsky for president!

Glice 06.21.2006 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gogogonorrhea
Noam Chomsky is a Red Khmer admiring (oh wait, didn't they just erase a fifth of the Combodian population within 4 years?), Israel & America to Nazi Germany comparing and poo-poo eating idiot who finds nothing wrong with denying the Holocaust - Chomsky for president!

You, sire, should post here more often.

Confucious is sex 06.21.2006 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gogogonorrhea

Hear hear! Never forgetting, of course, self-denying hypocrite.

Glice 06.21.2006 03:07 PM

It's pronouncing 'Noam' (Nome) as 'No-am' that gets on my wick the most I think.

Confucious is sex 06.21.2006 03:13 PM

Quote:

It's pronouncing 'Noam' (Nome) as 'No-am' that gets on my wick the most I think.

The reason people do that is because there are a lot of Jewish-Americans with Israeli relatives who want to impressed them by pronouncing it the Hebrew way.

I think it's funny to pronounce it 'nome' as it undermines him in my head and relegates him to an ineffectual, ugly, short guy holding a fishing rod in my garden.