Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Black Angel's Death Song (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=964)

Alex's Trip 04.15.2006 02:08 PM

Black Angel's Death Song

What are the Velvet Underground doing to get the noise? Anyone know?

Great song...

krastian 04.15.2006 03:15 PM

John Cale amplified his viola I'm pretty sure.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 04.15.2006 03:18 PM

yeah, indeed.

Alex's Trip 04.15.2006 04:08 PM

I can't stand that image ^ *blocks sig*

finding nobody 04.15.2006 04:29 PM

when ever i'm on a page with that sig im afraid of my mom comming in getting the wrong idea...

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 04.15.2006 05:05 PM

haha

Alex's Trip 04.15.2006 06:04 PM

Anyway...Viola, eh? I want to try to recreate that on guitar.

trance feeeedback 04.15.2006 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
Anyway...Viola, eh? I want to try to recreate that on guitar.

you can try using a violin bow on your guitar with lots of distortion, you could probaly get the same sound.

by the way I like rhys signature, I always get hypnotized watching the girl on the left!(who is she, by the way?)

kingcoffee 04.15.2006 09:09 PM

It will be very hard to replicate the Velvets signature feedback sound. They were just geniuses at getting a lot of weird noise out of their equipment.

I also like Rhys' little signature. Very interesting! I would like to know who the young lady on the left is as well (I love the way she shakes her thangs), but more importantly where did you get that clip of the woman shooting herself in the face? Is it from a movie? If so, what film? I'd like to check it out. It looks interesting.

Alex's Trip 04.16.2006 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingcoffee
It will be very hard to replicate the Velvets signature feedback sound. They were just geniuses at getting a lot of weird noise out of their equipment.

I also like Rhys' little signature. Very interesting! I would like to know who the young lady on the left is as well (I love the way she shakes her thangs), but more importantly where did you get that clip of the woman shooting herself in the face? Is it from a movie? If so, what film? I'd like to check it out. It looks interesting.

I haven't seen the movie, but I thought it was texas chain saw massacre. Supposedly someone shoots herself in the mouth.

sonikold 04.16.2006 01:40 AM

electric viola is the shit. i love how it sounds like a fucked-up organ on 'heroin'. years ago, me & my friends were at a music camp & we'd always play VU on the jukebox in the rec room. people would be putting quarters in to get it to stop playing 'heroin'. the last day we put about $5 worth of change in it and had it play 'heroin' on repeat....

hey alex 04.16.2006 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonikold
electric viola is the shit. i love how it sounds like a fucked-up organ on 'heroin'. years ago, me & my friends were at a music camp & we'd always play VU on the jukebox in the rec room. people would be putting quarters in to get it to stop playing 'heroin'. the last day we put about $5 worth of change in it and had it play 'heroin' on repeat....

we did that at a waffle house... but instead of herion it was holiday inn by chingy... they unplugges the machine after 6 times around and the song was never in the juke box again/

but yes, VU fuckin rule.

Danny Himself 04.16.2006 08:24 PM

Yeah, if you hit that Velvet Redux Reunion show DVD, you can see John Cale going to town on that Viola on 'Heroin'. It's fucking amazing.

Everyneurotic 04.16.2006 09:31 PM

yeah, amped viola

and i love rhys' signature!!!

RIPfrey05 04.16.2006 09:50 PM

I pmed rhys about his sig the other day it is from texas chainsaw massacre.

Glice 04.17.2006 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trance feeeedback
you can try using a violin bow on your guitar with lots of distortion, you could probaly get the same sound.

by the way I like rhys signature, I always get hypnotized watching the girl on the left!(who is she, by the way?)

The girl on the left is Charlotte Church. She's pretty big in the UK and I think she did all right in the states. She was 'the voice of an angel', doing pop-opera at 14, and has since become a proper, healthy Welsh woman with a taste for booze, fags, swearing and decent songs. A proper pop star who isn't stick thin and is actually more attractive than most pop stars. I love her.

Toilet & Bowels 04.17.2006 04:50 PM

what are you talking about? nobody shoots themself in texas chainsaw massacre!

krastian 04.17.2006 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
what are you talking about? nobody shoots themself in texas chainsaw massacre!

I think it's the remake....I never saw it though. Love the classic.