Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Should the SYG compilation be mastered? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=47049)

Genteel Death 03.05.2011 04:22 PM

Should the SYG compilation be mastered?

If you sent a track, vote on here with a simple yes or no.
My vote: No. Just a little volume balancing between tracks and nothing else (yeah, I know that's part of the mastering process and all that jazz).

atsonicpark 03.05.2011 04:29 PM

No. Like you said, make 'em kinda similiar volumes or whatever, so it isn't jarring when played back because one song being extremely quiet and the next song being extremely loud. That's all I can think of, I'd just leave it alone for the most part.

Derek 03.05.2011 04:33 PM

Volume balancing.

themawt71 03.05.2011 05:41 PM

no mastering except the volume.

Florya 03.05.2011 06:03 PM

no thank you.

Derek 03.05.2011 06:08 PM

I say we hand the entire project over to hevusa.

Surely he will allow us to properly represent our self-expression?

terminal pharmacy 03.05.2011 06:41 PM

so far most of you guys are saying no mastering besides the volume. volume levelling involves compression. so you either want it done or you don't. if you don't everyone should just go back noramlise their final stereo mixdown and send it to whomever is organising the thing.

hevusa 03.05.2011 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
so far most of you guys are saying no mastering besides the volume. volume levelling involves compression. so you either want it done or you don't. if you don't everyone should just go back noramlise their final stereo mixdown and send it to whomever is organising the thing.

exactly.
and does everyone involved understand that if the "album" gets mastered everyone needs to resend "unmastered" files. probably not...

hevusa 03.05.2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
I say we hand the entire project over to hevusa.

Surely he will allow us to properly represent our self-expression?

your 2dB worth of dynamic range would still be intact. no worries.

Derek 03.05.2011 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy

How is changing the volume compression? Just wondering...

hevusa 03.05.2011 06:58 PM

Quote:

you can make shit more quiet with one.

atsonicpark 03.05.2011 07:02 PM

Quote:

Yeah, exactly, I mean I can see it making an impact if it's a huge volume change (which might be what he's referring to), but I don't think raising the volume 3 or 4% -- akin to raising the actual volume knob on a stereo -- is going to make any dramatic changes to the actual recording of a song, and the instruments therein.... actually, when I burn cd's on nero, it even has an option that says "make track volumes similiar" or whatever..

hevusa 03.05.2011 07:04 PM

my advice would be to just leave everyone's stuff alone that obviously home mastered. lightly master those who obviously didn't and call it good.

badabing, badaboom.

Genteel Death 03.05.2011 07:56 PM

The only track that needed a little work with the volume channels was SONIC GAIL's. I did it myself with her approval. Everything else seems decently recorded enough and doesn't sound bad when listened to in one go. Anyway, again: NO.

A Thousand Threads 03.05.2011 08:10 PM

No.

Genteel Death 03.05.2011 08:17 PM

If mastering is really needed, Mark, the partly deaf pensioner who lives 5 doors down from mine, expressed an interest in having a go. His favourite music is Tony Bennett and dresses sharply for the local Sunday karaoke.

_slavo_ 03.06.2011 03:13 AM

i don't care. so, no.

EVOLghost 03.06.2011 05:58 AM

Volume adjusting seems to be like the most appropriate thing to be handled. Unless specific artist request such a procedure to be done.

terminal pharmacy 03.06.2011 03:38 PM

forget about it

hevusa 03.06.2011 04:23 PM

seriously. this is a waste of "breath" Terminal.