Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Best Recordings of Beethoven's Symphonies (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=24724)

demonrail666 08.24.2008 12:28 PM

Best Recordings of Beethoven's Symphonies

There are so many so-called 'essential' recordings of the fuckers that I don't know where to even begin. I know Karajan is meant to be a bit of a safe bet. I have his 1983 recording of the 9th with the Berliner Philharmoniker and that's great, but I've heard that earlier - I think from the 70s - recordings by him are the 'best'. Any other conductors' interpretations worth looking out for?

MellySingsDoom 08.24.2008 12:34 PM

Did Pierre Boulez conduct any, demon? His stuff is usually exemplarary.

Sonic Youth 37 08.24.2008 12:39 PM

Sir Georg Solti's 9th with the Chicago Symphony is my favorite.

gualbert 08.24.2008 12:44 PM

Barenboim may be a safe bet , also.
What sucks about classical music , is that no one knows how it was meant to be played , so people can play it the way they like.
The older recordings are generally better , imo.

demonrail666 08.24.2008 12:52 PM

It seems like Karajan is the most popular, but I often think a bit of a cult has been built around him that eclipses other interpretations. I'm not basing this on any musical insight whatsoever, by the way.

Glice 08.24.2008 01:01 PM

I find Karajan's good on the bombastic ones (1st, 3rd, 5th) but not so good on the slower ones (especially the 6th, but most of the 7th & 8th). Generally speaking I'd avoid the 9th, but that's a personal thing. Toscannini does a good job of the 3rd, but I've not heard him do much else. I should imagine Furtwangler does a good job. I'm not really in any position to say, I've not heard enough recordings to decide, methinks.

Glice 08.24.2008 01:04 PM

Karajan was clearly an utter cunt mind you.

MellySingsDoom 08.24.2008 01:15 PM

"I vos not ein Nazi!"
"Um, okay, but you're still eine totale Fotze."
"Jawohl, und was ist das Problem damit?"

demonrail666 08.24.2008 01:21 PM

All this justs makes me want to give up and buy the lot on Naxos. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway.

MellySingsDoom 08.24.2008 01:26 PM

demonrail - I've found a release of Boulez conducting yer man:

http://www.hbdirect.com/album_detail.php?pid=337732

Sonic Youth 37 08.24.2008 01:27 PM

Aside from the Solti, I bought all 9 symphonies in a set for $10. They're not bad. I don't really like the 9th from the box, though, because it's 9 minutes shorter than the Solti version.

terminal pharmacy 08.24.2008 04:52 PM

Karajan, Barenboim or Michael Tilson Thomas would all be safe bets, as far as recording quality goes as well, look for disks that are recorded with sony DSD if buying modern recordings.

terminal pharmacy 08.24.2008 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
All this justs makes me want to give up and buy the lot on Naxos. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway.

most of the naxos recordings are very good and cheap, i have tons of them.

acousticrock87 08.24.2008 06:08 PM

You can't go wrong with the original recordings.

demonrail666 08.24.2008 06:14 PM

What sort of a cunt would start a thread about Beethoven on a Sonic Youth site? Fuck me, what pretentious pricks some people are.

BeyondBeyondBoringBoring 09.05.2008 02:54 AM

Beethoven

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
What sort of a cunt would start a thread about Beethoven on a Sonic Youth site? Fuck me, what pretentious pricks some people are.

Yeah, I think you might be a bit wet about this one. They are the Beethoven of our time. They've mastered the art of harmony deriving from melody and dissonance at the same time, interwoven. Moreover, they belong to a small group that is both socially and artistically conscious (in the deepest sense), learning from music that one would not normally associate them with and arts beyond music--and yet maintaining a strong sense of the world beyond. Not confusing fame with accomplishment, they exemplify good artistry.

Could you imagine Beethoven sticking with classical instruments if he were alive today? Why limit yourself.

So I am interested in learning what like-minded SY fans have to say about Beethoven recordings. I like the Claudio Arrau piano concertos. What are thoughts him being keyed in to how the pieces were intended to be played?

jim

noisereductions 09.05.2008 07:56 AM

The millions of different versions of the same pieces by different conductors thing throws me off so much. It's probably why I know so little of classical music.