Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What gigs are you going to in the coming months? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=6735)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.10.2016 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny "Magic Fingers"
Saw Sleater-Kinney tonight here in Melbourne.

Great set - but I wish I could've made it last night because they played
I wanna be your Joey Ramone with the appended lyric..

(ie I wanna be yr Kim Gordon instead of Thurston)

Hahaha the CLASSIC Sleater-Kinney conundrum.. which show to choose on a two date gig??

Every single time they play LA they play two dates and every time I have regrets when I look at the set lists for the other dates even while I have never regretted or been disappointed with the set I saw!

Bytor Peltor 05.14.2016 12:26 AM

The Cure......TONIGHT!

ilduclo 05.19.2016 09:45 AM

headed down river to see Peter Brotzmann!!

Peterpuff 05.23.2016 02:25 PM

A very odd variety list coming up

5/24 - Flogging Molly - Diamond Ballroom
5/26 - Deftones - Criterion - **
5/31 - Tyler, the Creator - Diamond Ballroom
6/1 - Gogol Bordello - Diamond Ballroom
6/9 - Wussy - Tulsa - Soundpony Lounge
6/12 - Built to Spill - ACM @ UCO
6/14 - Speedy Ortiz - Opolis
6/30 - Stryper - Diamond Ballroom
7/17 - Violent Femmes - Cains
7/21 - Modest Mouse/Brand New - Tulsa
7/29 - Wye Oak - Opolis

and further down the line...

9/10 - Kraftwerk - Dallas - Bomb Factory
9/15 - Melvins - ACM/UCO
9/16 - Melvins - Opolis
10/7 - Slayer/Anthrax - Dallas - Gas Monkey

EVOLghost 05.26.2016 04:05 PM

it's finally fucking happening. FINALLYLYLYLYLYLYL

perfumeeee1!!!!!1 in August.

Boris in August.

Toilet & Bowels 05.27.2016 03:55 PM

Tomorrow night Selvhenter a Melt Banana. Guaranted mindblower.

guest 06.01.2016 08:30 AM

going to japan in a couple weeks, first weekend of gigs in tokyo is nutsssss
friday: kazuo imai trio
saturday: boris
sunday: kafka's ibiki (jim o'rourke/eiko ishibashi/tatsuhisa yamamoto)
monday: acid mothers + geoff leigh (henry cow!!)

the next saturday is haino's new fucking classic rock covers band, the hardy rocks, and the sunday after that he's playing with nasuno/yoshida as sanhedolin. unfortunately going to miss mainliner playing with maher shalal hash baz & a gig with kazuki tomokawa but I'll get some jun togawa action which should be sick.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.01.2016 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peterpuff

7/29 - Wye Oak - Opolis

9/15 - Melvins - ACM/UCO
9/16 - Melvins - Opolis

How was that deftones?

Peterpuff 06.01.2016 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
How was that deftones?

It was great actually, thanks for asking. I posted a short thing about it in the "Last gig you went to" thread the morning after.

Quote:

And to continue thread theme, I actually saw Deftones last night. I know that might be a little cliche and not appreciated around here, but I swear every time I see them lately I can't help but be impressed at how on-point Chino can be. He always will be one of my favorite front-men. He absolutely killed it last night. Solid setlist too. I think 4 Around the Fur tunes in the first 6 or so, and did not even play a song off the new album until like 8 songs in or something like that. No 7 Words though, which was highly saddening.

I have seen them several times since '98, and seriously, they still continue to impress me (except for a period there after White Pony when Chino was getting a little too fucked up). The atmospheric stuff comes off soooo good live, and the heavy still hits hard as a truck. I've always thought they were one of those bands that people easily write off coming from the era of stale nu-metal, but Chino seriously is one of the most overlooked front-men of the past several decades in my opinion, and there really is some creative musicianship going on as well. I just really dig them and always will go see them when they come around.

Edit: This was also by far the best light show I have seen them with. Nothing major, but it added nicely to the show.

ilduclo 06.01.2016 11:25 AM

Voivod, King Parrot, Child Bite, Hiding

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.01.2016 12:20 PM

Quote:

It was great actually, thanks for asking. I posted a short thing about it in the "Last gig you went to" thread the morning after.

I have seen them several times since '98, and seriously, they still continue to impress me (except for a period there after White Pony when Chino was getting a little too fucked up). The atmospheric stuff comes off soooo good live, and the heavy still hits hard as a truck. I've always thought they were one of those bands that people easily write off coming from the era of stale nu-metal, but Chino seriously is one of the most overlooked front-men of the past several decades in my opinion, and there really is some creative musicianship going on as well. I just really dig them and always will go see them when they come around.

Edit: This was also by far the best light show I have seen them with. Nothing major, but it added nicely to the show.

Im surprised frankly last year when i saw them i was slightly disappointed it wasn't as good as several years back. Chino side projects have had the better stage shows in recent years. Crosses was insane in 2013 and Palms in 2014 was also really really good

Peterpuff 06.01.2016 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Im surprised frankly last year when i saw them i was slightly disappointed it wasn't as good as several years back. Chino side projects have had the better stage shows in recent years. Crosses was insane in 2013 and Palms in 2014 was also really really good

Ya, they seem to be one of those hit or miss bands in these later years, especially from what I see people say and in live vids I watch. But I have to say, each tour for the last 8-10 years, their Oklahoma stops have been hits for sure. I have seen pretty much every tour through here since Around the Fur, with the exceptions of the Self-Titled and Saturday Night albums (That is when I fell out of love with them just a bit, but regained it with Diamond Eyes). That is also why I think I have been so impressed as well. Each show I go to thinking, "don't get your hopes up, this will probably be the one where they sound like shit," but they come out swinging.

Now, this also may sound odd, but I am sure you can empathize with what I am saying. The overall vibe is nowhere near the same as the early days for sure, but I think that is more with the audience growing older and not reciprocating the same energy level the band is putting out. As far as I am concerned, they (Chino specifically) is still as energetic and into it as he always has been. And last week's show solidified that for me. Even though, while their performance and shows are still great in my mind, nothing will top the first time seeing them on the Around the Fur tour of course. The energy created by both band and audience that show was just phenomenal, and a show I will never forget (especially that moment of realization that they were covering Slayer's South of Heaven. "What balls" I thought to myself).

But I digress... I guess my main point is to say "sorry your last experience seeing them has not been as good." But so far for me, late White Pony was their weak period live, and their Oklahoma shows keep getting better and better since then.

I am also damn jealous of the Crosses and Palms shows. Almost got to go to the Dallas Palms show, but something came up and could not travel. I love that damn album though. I imagine both those acts would have been good atmospheric live stuff...

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.01.2016 05:00 PM

Oh the records are all fantastic. Its the stage show that has lost some of its energy. I felt same way in 2010.. last peak good deftones show i saw was in 2008 and to be sure it was one of best shows of my life

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.01.2016 05:02 PM

I can agree with the audience energy sucking. At the show last year everyone was just standing around watching??? Not even if quasi pitting.. i was like are you fucking with me? At Crosses there was insane crowd ener

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.01.2016 05:04 PM

Crosses was louder and more fierce then you can imagine. It totally surprised me. I loved the EPs but i couldn't anticipate such raw energy and teeth eith that stage show. It almost felt like 90s deftones

EVOLghost 06.02.2016 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guest
going to japan in a couple weeks, first weekend of gigs in tokyo is nutsssss

sunday: kafka's ibiki (jim o'rourke/eiko ishibashi/tatsuhisa yamamoto)

but I'll get some jun togawa action which should be sick.

holy fucking shit. Kafka's Ibiki sounds fucking killers

and Jun Togawa....I am forever jealous....I can't even begin to explain the jealousy I'm feeling right now. She is the best...ever. FUCK!Q

EVOLghost 06.02.2016 08:46 AM

I got blonde redhead on Tuesday at my favorite venue!

Empty BOttle!!!!

Johnny "Magic Fingers" 06.02.2016 12:12 PM

Saw Cherie Currie at aptly named Cherry Bar here in Melbourne the other night. T'was a fun gig and worth it just to hear 'Cherry Bomb' (She also did a pretty good cover of Rebel Rebel).

But her bass player was straight outta 1989. I thought I was a 14yo again watching Mötley Crüe.

Next up - The Kills in a few weeks...

Bytor Peltor 06.02.2016 06:04 PM

Quote:

7/29 - Wye Oak - Opolis

9/15 - Melvins - ACM/UCO
9/16 - Melvins - Opolis

Very odd list indeed! Stryper and & then Melvins on back-2-back nights are what stand out to me.

Did you know that Slayer/Anthrax are playing Houston Open Air at NRG Park this September?

pony 06.03.2016 07:44 AM

going to see Autolux next week :)

_slavo_ 06.03.2016 10:04 AM

Sun Kil Moon, Prague, June 17

yeah!

Peterpuff 06.03.2016 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Very odd list indeed! Stryper and & then Melvins on back-2-back nights are what stand out to me.

Did you know that Slayer/Anthrax are playing Houston Open Air at NRG Park this September?

Ya, Stryper will be some interesting silly fun, I think. Mainly going because a buddy of mine was going, and I thought, "what the hell?" I still have to respect the 80s hair metal scene from my youth.

I found the Melvins thing to be kind of odd, actually. Those are not two different cities. Just different venues here in the same city. Not something you ever see bands schedule really, and I am not sure why they have.

The Houston Outdoor festival looks interesting. I think I am most intrigued that Ministry are playing. Have not really kept up with Al since I thought he was hanging it up a little while ago...

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.03.2016 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pony

I was gonna go to this here in LA but then i remembered i haven't listened to autolux in like ten years at least

Peterpuff 06.06.2016 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pony

Never seen them myself, but have always thought they would be a fun show. Actually just watched their set on the Sasquatch festival stream and forgot how much I do enjoy some of their stuff. Should be a fun show. Is it your first time seeing them?

stu666 06.09.2016 01:41 AM

June 12th - Field Day Festival (Thurston Moore/PJ Harvey) - London
June 13th - Thurston Moore + Gina Birch - London
June 14th - Thurston Moore / Deb Googe Duo - London
June 15th - Thurston Moore / Tania Chen Duo + Trash Kit - London
June 19th - Thurston Moore, Evan Parker + others - London
July 9th - Keiji Haino / John Butcher - London
July 18th - Belly - The Waterfront, Norwich
July 28th - Evan Parker, John Russell and John Edwards - Wild Card Brewery, London
September 12th - The Wedding Present - John Peel Centre, Stowmarket

tesla69 06.09.2016 05:24 PM

Hats off to Stu!

I see Lisa is causing trouble again at TransPecos

Lisa Carver returns with a brand new play!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Crystal_Carver
http://www.suckdog.net/
with Shame Michael Broderick
and Appetite
and Vitriolic Scum
and The Films of Miles Pflanz
and Sophie Leetmaa
and DJ Macrae Semans (Excepter)

_slavo_ 06.18.2016 06:19 AM

I saw Sun Kil Moon with Steve Shelley on the drums in Prague yesterday. It was really really nice.

_tunic_ 06.29.2016 04:56 AM

^^
Ha! I saw SKM with Steve AND Jesu in Paris, it was magical!
Too bad my recording didn't turned out so good, I had forgotten to switch of my two mobile phones so there's stupid noise all over :-(

Severian 06.29.2016 07:46 PM

Going to see Kanye West in the fall. Bought my tickets last week. Spent more money than I've ever spent on two concert tickets in my fucking life — seriously, Dylan and the Stones don't even come close — but it had to be done.

_tunic_ 07.16.2016 02:56 PM

coming Monday: Tindersticks
I don't really know them, but this is in my hometown on a 5 minute bike ride, and rescheduled from the main to the small hall so it will be super intimate.

then: God's Pee !!!!!!!
8/8 gybe doing a ballet in Edinburgh, UK
9/8 gybe doing the same ballet again in Edinburgh, UK
10/8 gybe without the ballet in Edinburgh, UK
16/8 gybe in Tilburg, NL

and later on, already have my tix for:
Wedding Present in October
Mono in November (duo bill tour with Alcest)

PS:
I wouldn't even spent 50Cent on Kanye West ...

krastian 07.19.2016 06:38 PM

Seeing L7 in DC next month.

stu666 07.26.2016 04:14 PM

Merzbow - Cafe OTO - October 1st

Bytor Peltor 07.26.2016 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666
Merzbow - Cafe OTO - October 1st

SWEET - that same night I'll be seeing, MEAT BEAT MANIFESTO / CLOCK DVA

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.26.2016 07:08 PM

bout to walk in at the dead and company

a baby in 1980 07.26.2016 08:41 PM

M-idzomer 2016 - Day 3: Mark Lanegan Band + Low + Willis Earl Beal + Wouter Deprez & Ruben Focketyn (at Museum M, Leuven, Belgium)

Severian 07.28.2016 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
I wouldn't even spent 50Cent on Kanye West ...

Then that should clear up any lingering doubts either of us have about secretly being the same person (we're not).

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
coming Monday: Tindersticks
I don't really know them, but this is in my hometown on a 5 minute bike ride, and rescheduled from the main to the small hall so it will be super intimate.

Tindersticks can be a bit touch and go on record, probably because the band's been at it for so damn long, but the it's a show worth seeing. You should have a good time.

a baby in 1980 07.29.2016 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krastian
Seeing L7 in DC next month.

badass!

a baby in 1980 08.27.2016 11:16 AM

L7
Thursday, September 8 at Muziekodroom

Severian 08.27.2016 03:56 PM

Not a lot on the docket for me, but after Kanye I do plan on seeing both Xiu Xiu and Shellac in October.

EVOLghost 09.02.2016 10:08 AM

I saw Perfume on WEdnesday night. I honestly think I can die a happy man now.