Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café V (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112934)

louder 11.02.2016 12:37 PM

So Tribe are dropping a masterpiece on our heads..

http://pitchfork.com/news/64683-a-tr...ck-white-more/

SCARY.

noisereductions 11.02.2016 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
So Tribe are dropping a masterpiece on our heads..

http://pitchfork.com/news/64683-a-tr...ck-white-more/

SCARY.

this is shaping up to be fucking epic. I'm nervous to even think about it too much before it actually drops.

noisereductions 11.02.2016 02:37 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/06/ar...view.html?_r=0

noisereductions 11.02.2016 03:11 PM

srsly this year has been a whirlwind of quality releases in my book. I'm still catching up. Tribe is huge huge huge news for next week. Then the week after is a new Weeknd album. Obviously not as big a deal - cuz nothing really is haha - but I do love The Weeknd and def liking the new single.

But man, this is one of those years where trimming down a Top 10 will be tough for me... Paak, Kanye, A$AP Mob, Ariana, Aesop Rock, Chance, Deftones, Heliocentrics, Miles, Sonic Youth, Vince, Weezer, Suicide Squad sndtrk... this prob only 1/2 of the albums I've kept in rotation.

pepper_green 11.02.2016 04:41 PM

at least the Tribe doesn't make methhead music for crackheads.

Chance is like "break me off a piece of the kit kat bar" with a bear suit. fuck that idiot too.

Severian 11.02.2016 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
this is shaping up to be fucking epic. I'm nervous to even think about it too much before it actually drops.

Yeah. Makes me realize how little I actually cared about that NWA "reunion" tour with Eminem... or was it Kendrick? Even with Kendrick, and even if it had happened, it sounds about as exciting as bran cereal next to a new ATCQ album.

I wrote a longer post about this earlier but apparently I lost it or something.

I am very much not giving a fuck about Weeknd anymore. At all. He's made some really weird career choices and alienated almost all of his original fans. He used to sound like a pervy neo-soul Portishead. Now he sounds like the lippiest pop ever popped, or a half assed imitation thereof. Kinda gross really. He got mega-popular with a sound that was basically the antithesis of what made him interesting in the first place.

I'm out, Weeknd. Have fun turning into an anime cartoon.

noisereductions 11.02.2016 09:18 PM

Asap Mob album is pretty great. Dark shit and Onyx cameo... really happy about.

Still wish we get Lord w those 3 singles too though

Severian 11.02.2016 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Asap Mob album is pretty great. Dark shit and Onyx cameo... really happy about.

Still wish we get Lord w those 3 singles too though

Yeah I like it. Still, some of those trap joints at just SO beneath the A$APs, especially production wise. But the the highlights shine, so it's all worth it.

louder 11.03.2016 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
at least the Tribe doesn't make methhead music for crackheads.

Chance is like "break me off a piece of the kit kat bar" with a bear suit. fuck that idiot too.

Haha. Chance is great and I thought that commercial was funny and sweet. Can't possibly hate him even if I tried.

louder 11.03.2016 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah. Makes me realize how little I actually cared about that NWA "reunion" tour with Eminem... or was it Kendrick? Even with Kendrick, and even if it had happened, it sounds about as exciting as bran cereal next to a new ATCQ album.

I wrote a longer post about this earlier but apparently I lost it or something.

I am very much not giving a fuck about Weeknd anymore. At all. He's made some really weird career choices and alienated almost all of his original fans. He used to sound like a pervy neo-soul Portishead. Now he sounds like the lippiest pop ever popped, or a half assed imitation thereof. Kinda gross really. He got mega-popular with a sound that was basically the antithesis of what made him interesting in the first place.

I'm out, Weeknd. Have fun turning into an anime cartoon.

The new album could go either way. But he said it's just a bunch of songs with no storyline or concept and teamed up with Max Martin again so I guess he's going full pop star. He seems to want to brand himself to make sure he stays.

Still, as a longtime fan I think I will always have a soft spot for The Weeknd..

louder 11.03.2016 01:33 AM

Haven't heard Cozy Tapes yet. Goddamn I'm slacking.

Severian 11.03.2016 11:21 AM

Quote:

Haven't heard Cozy Tapes yet. Goddamn I'm slacking.

Open Apple Music or Spotify (you have one or the other).
Search for it if it's not just sitting there in the new releases section.
Click "play."
Should take about 10 seconds.

Severian 11.03.2016 11:25 AM

Quote:

Haha. Chance is great and I thought that commercial was funny and sweet. Can't possibly hate him even if I tried.

Chance is great. I haven't seen the KitKat ad, but it doesn't even matter. When your music is that good, and continues to be that good, you can do the occasional stupid ass corny thing (like designing shoes or earth-tone apocalypse clothing) without it making a dent in your reputation.

I listened to "Chain Smoker" last night. If you can't get with that shit there's something wrong with you.

louder 11.03.2016 11:51 AM

Quote:

Open Apple Music or Spotify (you have one or the other).
Search for it if it's not just sitting there in the new releases section.
Click "play."
Should take about 10 seconds.

I know, but for some reason now I'm listening to various selected Justin Bieber singles out of everything. Heh.

louder 11.03.2016 11:58 AM

Quote:

Chance is great. I haven't seen the KitKat ad, but it doesn't even matter. When your music is that good, and continues to be that good, you can do the occasional stupid ass corny thing (like designing shoes or earth-tone apocalypse clothing) without it making a dent in your reputation.

I listened to "Chain Smoker" last night. If you can't get with that shit there's something wrong with you.

You know, people used to call Drake "that sweet mothafucka" but I think that term actually appeals to Chance now. Drake isn't sweet at all, he's more of a bitchmade, narcissistic, self obsorbed prick.. but Chance is actually the sweetest guy I've seen in hip hop since.. I don't know, Common?

Acid Rap still had some degree of badassery to it. But Coloring Book is some family friendly hip hop shit. Not that I'm complaining..

Rob Instigator 11.03.2016 12:50 PM

Rae Sremurd - Black Beatles is my fave jam at the moment. I turn that shit up irritatingly loud in my car on the way home from work when I'm ridin' durty.... Either the Sremmurd or Mike Will have beenn sampling a lot of early Cure/Joy Division/Bauhaus type sounds... I dig.

https://youtu.be/gnVUR4ddPTk

FUCK I LOVE IT SO

louder 11.03.2016 02:18 PM

Common's new album is very very good. Consistent the whole way through, definitely better than his last one.

Severian 11.03.2016 06:51 PM

Quote:

Common's new album is very very good. Consistent the whole way through, definitely better than his last one.

Good to hear. I forgot this even existed. I will check it out based on your rec.

The true test will be whether or not you still feel this way in a few months. That's not a dig at you either. It's just how things are. Tons of good hip-hop albums drop, but every year there are fewer that I care about 6 months later.

Severian 11.03.2016 09:27 PM

There's a new CZARFACE out tomorrow too, if anyone still cares.

louder 11.04.2016 07:38 AM

Quote:

Good to hear. I forgot this even existed. I will check it out based on your rec.

The true test will be whether or not you still feel this way in a few months. That's not a dig at you either. It's just how things are. Tons of good hip-hop albums drop, but every year there are fewer that I care about 6 months later.

Fair enough.

By the way, Tinashe and Alicia Keys just put out solid projects as well.