Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café V (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112934)

louder 10.15.2016 11:30 AM

I think Yes Lawd surpasses Malibu. Anderson did it!

Severian 10.15.2016 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
I love Anderson's raspy voice so much. "Best One", "Get Bigger" and "Starlite" are early favorites.. Andy is the only artist who makes the term "bitch" sound endearing for me. Haha.

Andy?

Hah.

I haven't heard it yet. I like Anderson .Paak but not over the moon about him really. I do like Knxwledge a lot though. Should be a good combo.

Severian 10.16.2016 10:00 AM

WOW.

Meek Mill blasts Kanye West for dating "gold digger white woman" Kim Kardashian

Ok, y'all know I have exactly ZERO love for Drake at this point, but someone needs to let Meek Mill know that he's just a fucking dick. He's an empty headed antagonist, and he is trying to "rap war" FAR above his station.

Also, the use of the term "gold digger" strikes me as downright fucking hilarious. Meek Mill's public recognizability is inexorably tied to his being in a relationship with Minaj (who, arguably, got her biggest career boost from none other than ... Kanye West. That "Monster" feature is directly correlated with her ascension.)

Also, I don't love Kim K., but ... gold digger? Really? I'd wager her net worth has been greater than Kanye's since she was old enough to have one.

Also, white woman? I have an Armenian ex-girlfriend who would take issue with this.

When was the last time Meek Mill did something musical? I can't remember. Does he make music anymore? As far as I'm concerned, he lost any existing or future right to be called a "Rapper" when FUCKING DRAKE OUTRAPPED HIS ASS.

And he lost the right to call himself an "artist" when this happened ...

louder 10.16.2016 11:15 AM

I'm confused because you said Meek did it but that article you linked us to talks about Nicki Minaj?

louder 10.16.2016 11:18 AM

If it's Nicki, I'd assume Kim did something that hurt her feelings and now she's back on her fake black women empowerment bulshit.

If it's Meek, then he's just mad about the Kanye and Drake collaborative thing.

Severian 10.16.2016 12:09 PM

Whoah... sorry! I guess it is Nicki!!!

When I first saw the article the headline said "Meek Mill blasts..." and had a picture of Meek! Now it says Nicki and has a picture of Nicki and Kim/Kanye.

Weird. What the fuck? I copied and pasted the headline from Flipboard when I linked it, so I know I'm not hallucinating. (Though admittedly, all I did was read the headline, sooo.... :embarrassed:

This is perhaps even more unsettling. What black woman did Kanye leave for Kim? That's Nicki's claim. That she's tired of black women worrying that their black men will leave them for "women of another race" when they become "powerful."

Wasn't Kanye already... like... pretty "powerful" before he even got with Kim?

Well, Nicki's just outing herself as being a racial exclusionist. Really? In 2016 we still have to deal with people complaining about interracial relationships? Fuck that.

Maybe if Nicki had EVER released music of actual consequence since she got her record deal, it would be easier to take her spouting nonsense. But of course she hasn't, so fuck her.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 10.16.2016 09:16 PM

some elements of this 1992 i really rwally dig, i mean overall the production, sound, and beats im feeling all around, but only half the tracks are top shelf. overall the Documentary 2.5 is definitely his best since Doctors Advocate and honestly it might actually be better and Game's best album.

but regardless between Streets of Compton, Block Wars, and 1992 Game has saved the void in rap music that has existed for me since e-40 started putting out pure crap after The Ambassador

Severian 10.16.2016 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
some elements of this 1992 i really rwally dig, i mean overall the production, sound, and beats im feeling all around, but only half the tracks are top shelf. overall the Documentary 2.5 is definitely his best since Doctors Advocate and honestly it might actually be better and Game's best album.

but regardless between Streets of Compton, Block Wars, and 1992 Game has saved the void in rap music that has existed for me since e-40 started putting out pure crap after The Ambassador

But have you listened to Kendrick though? I think Kendrick would floor you. I honestly do. Last time I asked I didn't get an answer.

If you're into west coast shit, but you like your rap spiritual and intellectual and "deep," To Pimp a Butterfly will make your head explode.

louder 10.17.2016 05:04 PM

SuchFriends hated good kid, m.A.A.d city if I recall correctly. But he might like To Pimp a Butterfly.

louder 10.17.2016 05:04 PM

So Nicki didn't mean to attack Ye after all.. http://pitchfork.com/news/69049-nick...girl-comments/

Called him a "genius who gave her one of the biggest looks of her career", like Sev pointed out earlier.

Severian 10.17.2016 09:10 PM

Ugh. Celebridrama. I read about this, and while it's nice to hear Nicki say positive things about Kanye, I have a hard time understanding how it could possibly be true that what she really meant when she said those things was that "Kanye tells it like it is and says what people aren't ready to hear."

Sounds a bit like back peddling. Sorry, but it's just really hard for me to buy that she really meant to PRAISE Kanye by saying that she was sick of black celebs ending up with white women, and pointing to Kanye as an example of that.

Don't care though. Love that Monster verse. It's the best part of the song.

Severian 10.17.2016 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
SuchFriends hated good kid, m.A.A.d city if I recall correctly. But he might like To Pimp a Butterfly.

SFAD hated good kid?

That doesn't even compute. Well, neither does hating MBDTF, but SFAD hates that shit too.

Good kid is totally different from TPAB though. TPAB is in many ways a tribute to/conversation with Pac, among other things. I think SFAD would love it. Das jus me do.

noisereductions 10.17.2016 10:01 PM

he did hate Good Kid and it made no sense. The title trackS alone should have been his shit. I never got what he didn't like.

Severian 10.18.2016 07:27 AM

Tupac nominated for Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame!

Notmallyi don't give much of a shit. After all, NIN, the Smiths, the Cure are all still not in (and not nominated this year), but I get pumped when hip-hop artists get a nod. Tupac will make it. I suspect he and Pearl Jam will be this year's big names.

Severian 10.18.2016 07:34 AM

Holy shit, Gucci Mane has ANOTHER album due out before the end of the year. Homeboy just released Woptober, and of course Everybody Looking in July.

Now, The Return of East Atlanta Santa is due out Dec. 16.

Plus motherfucker had that GucTiggy (or whatever) mixtape with Zaytocen in Aug. or Sept.

Slow your roll, dog! Everybody Looking was a solid, attention grabbing return. Great title too. And even though it played like a mixtape, it was fun and infectious. Two more albums in a year though? Gucci's no longer interesting enough to pull that off. Should have stopped at one, and he would have certainly received at least a Grammy nomination.

Man, some rappers these days. Impatient as hell.

noisereductions 10.18.2016 08:14 AM

gets to a point tho where I worry rappers are treating their music like some disposable thing... like back when rappers would craft an album for 2 years and then drop singles and support that album.

Now it's like if an album is 3 months old then it's "old" and we're already onto something else.

I mean I know I'm getting old, but I just feel out of touch with the way that a lot of media is put out there and 'consumed' these days.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 10.18.2016 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
gets to a point tho where I worry rappers are treating their music like some disposable thing... like back when rappers would craft an album for 2 years and then drop singles and support that album.

Now it's like if an album is 3 months old then it's "old" and we're already onto something else.

I mean I know I'm getting old, but I just feel out of touch with the way that a lot of media is put out there and 'consumed' these days.

that is a consequence of the era of streaming. remember rap doesn't make its money on touring and merchandise like most musicians, so rappers need to put out releases by volume to make even just some $..

when rap was at its peak labels paid big advances and a record release was a big investment. artists put some craft in it, had some time.

noisereductions 10.18.2016 02:20 PM

you make a good point. Sad though.

Rob Instigator 10.18.2016 03:22 PM

Meh....not every tune has to be an ornate baroque construction. Some of the best songs are the simplest.

noisereductions 10.18.2016 03:50 PM

that's not what I'm talking about Rob. My issue is that nowadays it seems like rappers want to just "put out" as much stuff as possible, which almost encourages the idea that April's shit is old news, and now we're on to December. Or something. It's all part of the NOW NOW NOW generation of Facebook and whatever. Albums just don't seem to matter anymore. It's just all... "content." You even see major label rappers dropping like 5 non-album singles between albums. It seems to almost deflate the importance of releases.